Short Walks around Hotham

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Short Walks around Hotham

Postby Stroll » Wed 28 Dec, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm a newcomer to this site, hello!

I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest some shortish dayhikes around Hotham alpine village area which afford good views, at least some of the way. We are experienced multiday backpackers but new to the Victorian high country (most experience in California's high mountains and a tiny bit in New Zealand). We want to dip our toe in the water by driving up to Mt Hotham OR Falls Creek and doing some short dayhikes (6 - 8km will do nicely!) but it would be wonderful to get away from the crowds. Last year this time we went up to Kosciuszko and did the Main Range loop from Thredbo which was wonderful but the crowds were incredible. We have looked into the Razorback walk to Feathertop but it looks too long for our current level of fitness and also probably too crowded. Once we get a feel for the area we'd like to go back and maybe do some multiday hikes with our backpacks.

Hoping someone can point towards some resources or walks that are a bit off the main tourist radar... Thanks in anticipation!
Stroll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Short Walks around Hotham

Postby neilmny » Wed 28 Dec, 2016 6:22 pm

Walks off the main tourist radar don't tend to be 6 to 8km. They are generally a lot longer and quite hard going often requiring navigation skills.

You can find some here - http://www.mthotham.com.au/events-activ ... -notes.asp
A day walk out to Mount Loch and Derrick Hut wouldn't be to hard and the views are excellent.

There a lot of day walk possibilities around Falls Creek as well - http://www.fallscreek.com.au/attractions/hiking
Wallaces heritage Trail comes to mind and a nice short one is to Ropers Lookout.

This time of year is likely to be busy all around the state as a lot of people have Xmas holidays for up to about 5 weeks.
Falls Creek offers a much wider area which tends to thin the crowds a bit.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 29 Dec, 2016 5:33 am

I do agree with Neil. Hotham has less to offer and fewer places to camp, no accommodation open and lucky to get a coffee. Falls creek will have some accommodation available and there are plenty of good campsites from which you can base many day walks. The Gateway cafe has good coffee and a selection of cakes and muffins etc. Cafe Milche is sometimes open and offers good food. The Razorback is still worth doing but there will be people and it is not a hard day walk.
Around Falls Creek you can walk out to Tawonga Huts (4km) and continue a bit further if you like. Westons Hut is in that area as well. Much of it is High Plains so you will not get the spectacular mountain scenery all the way but there are some good view points. Ryders huts is another walk which can be done from either Pretty Valley or Bogong High Plains. From BHP you can walk up Mt. Cope (Jack) and backtrack a bit and head toward Cope Saddle (SEC) hut and then on the aqueduct to Ryders. You will need a map. I think the Bogong Adventure map would be the best. Wallaces hut trail will be busy this time of year.
Another nice and easy walk is Watchbed creek to Edmonsons hut or better still out to Fitzgeralds hut. If you are feeling more energetic then continue to Kellys hut and down track 107 to Wildhorse creek but you will have to return the same way. Much of the walking on the Bogong High Plains is gentle until you head down the larger river valleys. Heathy spur is also a good start from Falls Creek and puts you onto the Big River Fire trail. From Fitzgeralds hut you can continue east a little bit and once at Kelly's track you can pick up the aqueduct and head along it back to Langford Gap and then back on the road to the car or follow the AAWT north to link back up with the Big River Fire trail. I have taken a few people who have less than average fitness on these walks and they did not struggle. The map I mentioned has distances marked as well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stroll » Thu 29 Dec, 2016 5:09 pm

Thank you Neilmny and Xplora that is super helpful. I have the map you mention, Xplora, and sounds like Falls Creek might be the way to go. Now once the storms clear we will head off! We have been to Falls Creek before and walked along Heathy Spur in driving rain in early December to Edmonson Hut and camped there. It was SOOO beautiful in rainy weather with patches of sun and water everywhere and we were the only people we saw! Do you happen to know if we need any permits to park or hike or camp up there? Thanks so much again. We might leave the Hotham area until I am a bit fitter.
Last edited by Stroll on Thu 29 Dec, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stroll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Stroll » Thu 29 Dec, 2016 5:22 pm

Also can I ask about car parking? I'm looking at the map now. Can we park at say Cope Hut and leave our car there while we go off for a few days? (Now that we have focussed on Falls Creek and it looks easier we are thinking we might backpack after all!) Thanks again!
Stroll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Thu 29 Dec, 2016 5:26 pm

No permits to walk or camp at the moment unless you are intend to camp near Cope Hut. No camping at Wallaces Hut but the rest are fine. Camping platforms at Cope hut cost but you can camp 100m away for nothing. I would go to Langford West (water from the aqueduct) or Bucketty Plain camp areas (no water close but a short walk down the hill to Faithfulls hut). All good drive in camps. Bucketty Plain seems to have less people but that may be because of the position of the sign.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stroll » Thu 29 Dec, 2016 5:31 pm

Great, thanks :)
Stroll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:19 pm

The Twins is a day walk I have yet to do from the Mt. Hotham road just near the Blow Hard hut.The walk from JB Plain( near Dinner Plain Village ) to Mt. Table top is a good day walk . Take knee length gaiters. The sword grass out there is nasty.
The BHP/Falls Creek area has more options overall.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 04 Feb, 2017 6:03 pm

Another walk in the Mt. Hotham area that I have not done is the Cobungra Ditch track. It is said to be an interesting walk .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria