Feathertop Via Bungalow

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feathertop Via Bungalow

Postby Cauchs » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 4:40 pm

G'day All,

If the weather is looking good I am hoping to do Feathertop over Aus Day weekend. Rather than do the up and back across the Razorback, I was thinking of doing Bungalow spur and the Razorback.

I am trying to recruit another car so we can do the car hop however is there any other options for transport between Harrietville and Hotham?

Also, is Bungalow relatively straight forward (aside from the fact its a bit of a climb) to complete as a day trip?

Any local knowledge which influences direction? My thoughts were Razorback-Bungalow would get me down into some tree cover by the time the sun was too hot, however I would probably prefer climbing Bungalow than coming down it.

If I have to double back on myself, it seems the best walk would be Razorback?!
Cauchs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop Via Bungalow

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 6:17 pm

There's a bus Omeo-Bright-Omeo, but the timing is not good for your trip. On weekeneds and especially long weekends Feathertop is quite popular. It's not clear how many days you are taking. If the walking is on 25-29 January then Feathertop as you describe is not enough walking. Over four days I'd consider the Bogong High Plains.

Harrietville to Feathertop as a day trip is possible, but having got that high I'd stay for the night, either at Federation or on The Razorback, carrying water for about an hour. Bungalow is a very good gradient in either direction.

Can you please advise how many days you are going for?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Cauchs » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 8:36 pm

Apologies, my initial post wasn't that clear. Whichever direction/route I am taking I am doing it as a day trip. I will be doing it with a few people who aren't set up for overnight. We plan on just picking our day based on weather.

Thanks for the advise RE gradient of Bungalow, sounds like it's still possible to do Bubgalow and Razorback as a day trip if I can organise transport.
Cauchs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Paul De Andrade » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:35 pm

We had some friends go to Hotham and come across the razorback had lunch at Federation hun then make their way down.

I myself this weekend just gone went from Harrietville to Federation Hut (then side trip to Feathertop). Next day went across Razorback for about 3/4km then down the Champion Spur track back to Harrietville. Would be tough but achievable in a day and as it's a circuit, you'll be back where you started.
Paul De Andrade
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby Xplora » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:21 am

Bungalow, Razorback, Bon Accord spur. Feathertop first day and you camp at High Knob near Diamantina spur or head back to Fed hut. No water at High Knob but you could fill up at the spring near the top of Bungalow spur. Day 2 would have you back in Harrietville close to the car. Bungalow down takes only a couple of hours and is an easy day walk up and back.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:59 am

Fitter people can easily manage Bungalow to Feathertop summit return in a day. Less fit people should start early and beat the heat. Leave at 7am or earlier, summit at noon, down by 3pm. There's water at three points on the Bungalow and a short way down Tom Kneen Track. Razorback-summit-Bungalow is much flatter and takes about the same time. However, a long car shuffle is needed and I'm not sure that it's worth it. Razorback return may be worth considering, with an escape route for some down Bungalow if they are tired or the weather turns.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:18 pm

Green season ascents of the Bungalow spur are easy compared with white season ascents. That last 2 kms up to Federation hut is the toughest bit and in snow it seems to go on forever.Another option is start early , fang it up the Bungalow spur, visit the summit of Mt FT and then descend via the NW spur. By Golly you'd have be in shape in terms of fitness and using hiking poles will save your knees for that route.

Be warned , The NW spur becomes very steep lower down after the MUMC hut, esp. before it hits the creek crossing. It is not as scenic as other routes in the area. The Bon Accord spur has a double river crossing at Washington creek . This is because the bridge was smashed in a flood. We went up and down the BA spur with full snow gear packs in Sept. 2015. The main river crossing is spanned by a log. Some people don't dig balancing on logs over water! .In summer it would be brutal, hot, dry and fly blown and and tough ascending the BA spur. The last pinch from the BA hut ruins to the Razorback summit is so steep it is just wrong . It climbs 460 vertical Metres in 2 kms.
I want to know how the Champion spur ' track ' was. Could the other poster elaborate and elucidate please.I must get up the Champion spur and the Northern Razorback in order to say I have walked all the routes up there to Mt. FT.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 5:16 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Another option is start early , fang it up the Bungalow spur, visit the summit of Mt FT and then descend via the NW spur.

This will put you 5 or more km's away from Harrietville when you finish at the trout farm and you would need to take that into account. A bunch of local ladies went up NW spur and down Bungalow one late winter day. I was getting dark when they finished but it was an annual thing they did.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:In summer it would be brutal, hot, dry and fly blown and and tough ascending the BA spur. The last pinch from the BA hut ruins to the Razorback summit is so steep it is just wrong . It climbs 460 vertical Metres in 2 kms.

All the more reason to go down it. Bon Accord spur was the main walking track to Hotham during winter for skiing in the early days. Many would ride horses up as well. I have a few books with accounts of some hair raising ascents. When I read them I think can't help but think we are soft.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Cauchs » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 7:50 am

Paul De Andrade wrote:
I myself this weekend just gone went from Harrietville to Federation Hut (then side trip to Feathertop). Next day went across Razorback for about 3/4km then down the Champion Spur track back to Harrietville. Would be tough but achievable in a day and as it's a circuit, you'll be back where you started.

I like the sound of this. If the weathers not too hot and it's just me and the mrs. I reckon this looks like a good option. (If some others join their fitness probably isn't as good as ours) Is the track reasonably well marked?

If the others join then we may do the cop out and come in and out along razorback from the north.

Thanks for all the other info also. Too many options up here, think I will be back again!
Cauchs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 7:58 am

Paul De Andrade wrote:............Next day went across Razorback for about 3/4km then down the Champion Spur track back to Harrietville. Would be tough but achievable in a day and as it's a circuit, you'll be back where you started.

Hi Paul, Interesting loop. Is the track still in existance or did you just follow the spur through the bush?

Only a couple of posts....welcome to the forum Paul.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cauchs » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 8:59 am

neilmny wrote:Hi Paul, Interesting loop. Is the track still in existance or did you just follow the spur through the bush?

I was wondering this also. Champion spur track shows up on my gps and one map but not another.
Cauchs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:21 am

neilmny wrote:
Paul De Andrade wrote:............Next day went across Razorback for about 3/4km then down the Champion Spur track back to Harrietville. Would be tough but achievable in a day and as it's a circuit, you'll be back where you started.

Hi Paul, Interesting loop. Is the track still in existance or did you just follow the spur through the bush?

Only a couple of posts....welcome to the forum Paul.

Yes good to see you on the Forum Paul! :)
Neil, I did this with Paul, there is no track for the top section of the spur. Regrowth was quite thick in places and the spur is very steep at the top. Once down lower an old firetrail is followed for the remainder down to the river then criss cross the river back to Harrietville. Some tree fall on the fire trail but not too bad.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby neilmny » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks for the info Snowzone.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cauchs » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 7:41 am

Snowzone wrote:Neil, I did this with Paul, there is no track for the top section of the spur. Regrowth was quite thick in places and the spur is very steep at the top. Once down lower an old firetrail is followed for the remainder down to the river then criss cross the river back to Harrietville. Some tree fall on the fire trail but not too bad.

Thanks Snowzone.

Would the head of the fire trail be easy enough to pick up in Harrietville? This might be an option if we start from here, head up to Feathertop and return down Bungalow.
Cauchs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 7:59 am

Yes a prominent dirt 4WD track at the base of the spur. You would just have to navigate along the river to the base of it. A very steep long sustained climb up though and you would be pushing against the scrub at the top where it is thick regrowth.
Snowzone

Postby Cauchs » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. We walked out to Feathertop on Friday. I reckon this has to be one of the best walks I have done in Vic!

My uncle ended up joining and we were able to stay in his mates cabin at the bottom of Bungalow spur. Very easy to be able to drive up to Hotham in the morning, walk out over the Razorback, up Feathertop and down Bungalow straight back to the cabin before heading up to retrieve a car.

Anyway, I highly recommend it! It would be a very easy day walk out and back across the Razorback if you didn't have a second car.
Cauchs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 5:00 am

Cauchs wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. We walked out to Feathertop on Friday. I reckon this has to be one of the best walks I have done in Vic!

So glad you liked this one. It is not the best Vic has on offer in the mountains but it is up there in terms of scenery, so maybe you now have a taste for more. The advantage of this walk is the access.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm going to have a crack at Bon-Accord-Razorback-Feathertop-Bungalow as a day trip next month. Obviously, it's a longish one. I've done the Bungalow and Razorback routes on a number of occasions but haven't tackled the Bon Accord. I'm imagining setting out at 4am, which will make the first part a night hike. Is the track relatively well defined? It's not a concern if it's not but I'm just curious. Is there a camp spot at the beginning (I thought I'd drive up and just sleep in the car)? Has anybody done it as a day circuit?
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 4:46 pm

No, but if I can do it as two easy days on snow I would think you'd be OK.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 8:15 pm

The Harrietville trail head of the BA spur walking track has a small space for a tent by the stream.You can leave your car there or at the bottom of the Bungalow spur and walk over to the BA spur track . The BA spur is the never ending spur. The last 2 kms UP to the Razorback are T O U G H.

If you have the energy to make it over the Razorback then go for it.We were shattered by the time we reached the Razorback in Sept. 2015.The track is easy to follow really but you may be doing a river crossing over a large log in the dark before you hit the actual BA spur .There is no water after you cross the creek on the BA spur ascent. At least in late white season you can melt snow and camp on the Razorback if needs must.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 11:34 am

Sounds good then! I'm imagining that I'll just shimmy along the log on my bum and the rest should be good. If I get to the top of the Bon Accord and am completely knackered, then I'll just go back down again. I imagine that's unlikely though (crossing fingers). The point is to go pretty hard as I'm in "training" for some climbs in the European Alps next year. Anyway, thanks for the pointers, I'll post to mention how I went. :D
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 1:05 pm

One escape route is to walk to the Hotham Road and attempt to get a lift to Harrietville.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 1:36 pm

Our escape route having ascended the BA spur( It took all day !! :-0 ) in the face of failing light and deep snow drifts above 1650 M. was to snow camp at the Diamantina hut. The next day I was still wrecked from going up the BA spur and , quite suddenly after breakfast and packing up camp the weather turned bad ,so we could not cross the Razorback in snowshoes .Instead we went back down the BA spur. That was tough going down it too and it took a while too.
My dream is still to complete this loop in white season.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 7:21 pm

Have you given any thought to the East Ridge and North East Spur, PCV? Assuming I'm successful on this trip, I still have the Champion and North Razorback (I got snowed in at the Fed Hut in October, so missed a reverse return then) before contemplating them.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 10:13 pm

The Northern Razorback is in the IN TRAY for the next 12 months. If you camp at the Helipad where the gate is locked then it is the quickest way to the Mt. FT summit.In poor weather you can camp at upper Stoney Tops. Ubi. Steve has installed picnic tables all the way up the route from the Freeburgh bridge , which I must investigate.In a Subarau AWD you can get some of the way up that route and save time and effort.
Ascending the Diamantina spur is also in that IN TRAY.I need to go up it , possibly in late spring snow :-0 , just to say I have done it. I have gone down it in hot weather. I don't need to do that again.
Champion spur does have a strange allure. The other two routes that you have mentioned are just nuts and you can forget it !.
I still have to walk : The Quartz Ridge ;Long Spur and Mulhauser spur up to Mt. Bogong. These are in my IN TRAY for the next 12 months.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 10:24 pm

Having ascended to the summit of mainland Spain's highest peak (3483 M. ) I can say that being fit helps in European and Himalayan Alpine activities but the altitude is a great leveler. It makes you gasp for air even if you are super fit.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 4:35 pm

I've done the Diamantina in snow. It was fine, I expected it to be harder. Not sure if I'd like it in the heat though. I've started the North Razorback (after nearly destroying my little hatchback to get to the start) but had gastro and eventually gave up after have to throw up one too many times.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how I go at a half decent altitude, PCV. I'm pretty happy to climb anything, but I've no idea what my lungs will think. Hopefully, it all goes well. If not, I'll just drink wine down in Chamonix and go for some hikes. :)
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 6:39 pm

I am planning to visit the source of the Ganges river next year . That is well above 4000 M.in India.I know I will get a headache,loss of appetite and insomnia camping above the snout /terminal moraine of the Gangotri glacier at 4600 M at Tapovan, at the base of Shiv Ling peak.
I made it to Lake Mani mahesh (4170 M. ) in India . I was gasping for air but I did it !!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria