Mt Stirling for National Park

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Stirling for National Park

Postby Rlgm12 » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 5:16 pm

I can't get the link to work.

http://vnpa.org.au/page/publications/na ... -stirling-–-make-it-part-of-the-alpine-national-park

If you get the VNPA Email, then youll have received it.
Essentially they're open to the idea of Mt Stirling joining the Alpine National Park.

To comment on Alpine Resort management:
https://engage.vic.gov.au/alpine-resort ... governance

I'm pretty sure most of you will be aware of the VNPA and its comments being made on the whole falls creek shenanigans. This I think, is just another aspect of the whole picture of our parks.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Stirling for National Park

Postby neilmny » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 6:25 pm

A thought on this......Mt Stirling has a lot of refuge huts that are currently maintained very well by Mt Buller resort (IIRC).
Where would parks get the funds to maintain these huts. I walk Mt Stirling often and think that a change of management to PV,
based on what is happening elsewhere ie.Things not being maintained at all, would not be a good thing.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Mt Stirling for National Park

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:24 pm

On one hand I agree with Neilmny, but on the hand the Mt. Buller ski resort mob don't do anything about the blackberries and the feral pests that you see all year round on the GGS hut to Craig's hut route and near the circuit road. The ski resort does not care at all about that stuff.
However if Mt. Stirling becomes part of the ANP then who will maintain & restock The Bluff spur hut and King Spur hut etc. with a mother load of firewood, kindling and cut logs all white season?. The Ski patrol does that top up job with kindling on snow mobiles all white season.
I love Mt. Stirling , esp. in white season.Much of Mt. Stirling has been degraded by logging , 4 WD usage and so on. Saving the Rubicon state forest from clear fell logging is more important to me.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria