List of less well known walks inc the Prom and the Grampians

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

List of less well known walks inc the Prom and the Grampians

Postby Breeberen1968 » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 10:37 am

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help here with information on Hiking in Victoria.

I've walked my way through most of the day walks (and quite a few overnight) of the various books put out by Tyrone Thomas, the Chapman's, Glenn Tempest, Glen van der Knijff.

Does anyone have a list of lesser known walks in Victoria. These would be hikes through lesser known state forests or areas not mentioned in the guidebooks on the market

I'm also interested in a complete list including lesser know walks in the Grampians, The Prom, Otways and High Country regions.

Nothing comes up on searches online so would appreciate the help

Cheers Gary
Breeberen1968
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: List of less well known walks inc the Prom and the Gramp

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 1:01 pm

The Rubicon Tramway and aqua duct walk is not included in any day walking book .
The Northern Prom multi night circuit(60 kms , take a GPS !) is not done to death like the Southern overnight walking tracks are at the Prom.
I still have the Carter's Road to Tomahawk hut to Razorback hut and back to Sawmill settlement loop walk sitting in my in tray. In white season you would not see many people out there , on the back way up to Mt. Stirling and 4 WD access would be closed then.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 6:14 am

The dilemma is that once posted they could well become better known. The internet has much wider coverage than print media (guide books). It is a bit like giving up your favourite, sure thing fishing place. I would be happy to tell a good friend but not the world. Probably not an answer that is very helpful and some may see it as a bit selfish but if you are looking for solitude on a walk then it is better not to tell the world where you are going.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Breeberen1968 » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 12:42 pm

Thank you both for your responses. I understand your point about not telling the world. I'm not a member of a club and I suppose if I was , I would have access to more information about other walks. I walk alone because I like the solitude and freedom to walk where and when I wish. Thanks Gary
Breeberen1968
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby peregrinator » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 2:02 pm

You might find something here:

http://www.bushwalkingvictoria.org.au/
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnStrider » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 9:42 pm

I could name plenty!

For instance, in the Bunyip State Forest the main tracks used to get to the Four Brothers Rocks is quite popular and frequently mentioned. However, that entire park is filled with so many other awesome tracks to hike on. There are so many that you can actually make up your own. I've done it plenty of times.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria