New planned development for Mt. Buffalo. :-0

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

New planned development for Mt. Buffalo. :-0

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 8:05 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/spect ... ul3bs.html
They are at it again...... paving paradise to put up a parking lot.
The rock apes want to turn Mt. Buffalo N.P. into a bleeding cross between Disney land and Lego Land. I doubt the VNPA will be much impressed by this proposal.

I shall oppose this every step of the way. Keep the Chalet, fix it up, reopen it but don't build all the other cr*p.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: New planned development for Mt. Buffalo. :-0

Postby neilmny » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 6:36 am

Apart from the sky walk thing it seems that they just want to rejuvenate and reactivate what is ready there.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 12:54 pm

neilmny wrote:Apart from the sky walk thing it seems that they just want to rejuvenate and reactivate what is ready there.

Yep. Sound stage = 21st century equivalent of a ballroom.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby neilmny » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 1:09 pm

madmacca wrote:
neilmny wrote:Apart from the sky walk thing it seems that they just want to rejuvenate and reactivate what is ready there.

Yep. Sound stage = 21st century equivalent of a ballroom.

Ah madmacca :) ............from what I could glean in the linked article, the space that was to be used was the existing space not expanding into the surrounding area.
Except for the sky walk. This may be a wrong interpretation........... :roll:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 6:09 am

It is a proposal from an interest group being put to Parks so it will have to be considered and go through the normal process of consultation. Not yet time the time to get your knickers in a knot. The old Chalet is really in need of some protection and Parks have no interest in doing that. Personally I would never camp at the lake ever again. Better value at the caravan park below but if they Chalet was to open then I would spend another night there and dine in. The food last time was top class and the rooms were as well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:50 am

The camp site at Lake Catani is a rip off at 55 clams a night pitch a tent. I didn't even drive in last time and it was THE last time. I walked in via the BIG WALK. The Big Walk is super. I Like the Big Walk.
It may well be that the Chalet is a goner but I will have to wait and see if the 'Dollar signs for eyes knuckle draggers' want to turn the immediate vicinity into Disney world crossed with Lego Land. It is a Nat. park and any developments inside a Nat. Park will always rub me and others up the wrong way.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bret Critchley 1959 » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 3:10 pm

Wow I didn't know it was $ 55 per night to pitch a tent. What a rip off
Bret Critchley 1959
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 3:24 pm

Bret Critchley 1959 wrote:Wow I didn't know it was $ 55 per night to pitch a tent. What a rip off

The Prom is the same or more and Eildon NP is $49.00 a night last time I looked.
Check this out............https://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/book-your-stay
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 5:47 am

In fairness, a site can sleep up to 6 people (if you are very friendly with each other) so if you shared the cost with that many is not too bad, but at Lake Catani you also have to share a fireplace with a few sites. We took our own wood from home and someone pulled into the adjoining site then took over our fire. Buchan Caves is the same fee as well. In NSW you pay as an individual in many places I know and the fees vary depending on the facilities available. Victoria does a number of things very well but this is not it. These places still seem to draw numbers in the holiday periods but their off peak rates are not a great deal different.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 4:05 pm

I prefer the hike in campsites that are either free or only 14 clams a night. Such places are knuckle dragger /yobbo filtered because they involve carrying a pack .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 7:57 am

The word is that the Lego Land/Club Med. people want to chop 6 hectares out the Mt. Buffalo N.P. to build their Lego Land for tourists. I am not happy about that and nor are the VNPA.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 2:06 pm

A significant amount of heritage will be lost for good is someone does not spend some money. The government via Parks Vic have not shown any interest in restoring the chalet or the area around it. I would suggest they will not do so in the future either so it would be up to private money. This is somewhat different to the FHAC in that the resorts already have an area annexed and are in a backhanded way are seeking more to put up new infrastructure. As I have mentioned before, it is only a proposal to the government by an interested group and not a proposal by the government. I would not get too worked up yet. The area you have mentioned is not huge and would encompass the area used previously for the soft tourist market. It is not a 'wild' or remote place that will be spoiled or scarred. I would see great benefit from the restoration of the chalet and surrounds. It would make sense to annex a small amount for this purpose.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 9:13 am

Bret Critchley 1959 wrote:Wow I didn't know it was $ 55 per night to pitch a tent. What a rip off

Yes, but you get a fireplace with stocked wood, hot water, flush toilets, a laundry (well... a sink) a shower and an ice-cream van at the chalet.

and, as xplora mentioned, you can share your campsite with quite a few people that brings the cost down.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 9:15 am

Xplora wrote:A significant amount of heritage will be lost for good is someone does not spend some money. The government via Parks Vic have not shown any interest in restoring the chalet or the area around it. I would suggest they will not do so in the future either so it would be up to private money. This is somewhat different to the FHAC in that the resorts already have an area annexed and are in a backhanded way are seeking more to put up new infrastructure. As I have mentioned before, it is only a proposal to the government by an interested group and not a proposal by the government. I would not get too worked up yet. The area you have mentioned is not huge and would encompass the area used previously for the soft tourist market. It is not a 'wild' or remote place that will be spoiled or scarred. I would see great benefit from the restoration of the chalet and surrounds. It would make sense to annex a small amount for this purpose.

I agree, some of the built environment on Mt Buffalo has significant aesthetic and historical value.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria