Driving time Melb. CBD - Howitt Carpark?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Driving time Melb. CBD - Howitt Carpark?

Postby Stew63 » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:22 pm

Anyone? Tom Tom GPS plans the wrong/long route via 4WD tracks.
Last edited by Stew63 on Wed 15 Mar, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Driving time Melb. CBD - Howitt Carpark?

Postby MickyB » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 8:42 pm

4 hours 54 minutes from Melbourne to Mount Howitt Car Park via Licola according to Google Maps.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 11:35 pm

I went up there in late Dec. 2016. With a 4 WD with good clearance you can go a tad faster on that road but it is still a bit rough. It took me about 5 hours to get to the Howitt Car park from NE Melb.
If the weather turns to poo and it rains A LOT and you are driving a wee Japanese city car then you may have trouble getting out along that road.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby AWTtrekker » Fri 05 May, 2017 12:01 am

Can I ask if it is 2WD suitable in fine weather(we are actually likely to be driving an SUV or my fathers pajero)? Any other access issues we should be aware of? Looking at it as a possible route to Mac Springs as a food drop location
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Fri 05 May, 2017 6:18 am

AWTtrekker wrote:Can I ask if it is 2WD suitable in fine weather(we are actually likely to be driving an SUV or my fathers pajero)? Any other access issues we should be aware of? Looking at it as a possible route to Mac Springs as a food drop location

I have seen many 2wd vehicles at the Howitt carpark. Apart from a few pot holes the road is easy to drive but the gate will shut when the snow arrives or after the June long weekend. When the road is wet there are a few bits that may be sloshy so given dry conditions you would have no problem.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 05 May, 2017 7:08 am

I've been to the Mac Spings car park in a 22 seater bus. The section of the road south of the Tali Karng turnoff in the lee of the hill can be a hazard - I've seen small snowfalls translate into drifts half a metre high. Care is needed on all the road north of Tamboritha Saddle, as potholes can do bad things to suspensions. I'm unsure where the gate is or when it shuts, but what about a food drop at Speculation? The campsite on the shoulder, before the track turns west and up to the summit, is only 15 minutes from the road. It's closer in distance but maybe not time to Melbourne than Mac Springs car park. The Stirling Circuit Road is slow.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 05 May, 2017 9:22 am

My 2 WD has made it up and back from Licola to Mac Springs car park many times. The winter gate is locked just near Kelly's Lane. If the snow comes in a big dump before the Queen's Birthday weekend then both the Howitt road and the Speculation road will be closed .
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 05 May, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GregR » Fri 05 May, 2017 9:46 am

Agree with the others.

Driven there twice both times in 2 wd cars. The 2nd time in a low slung Passat VW with sports suspension and low profile tyres- very little clearance. Made it alright just don't get over cocky, cos when the road looks good suddenly a pot hole of head sized rock looms up to pull you into line.
Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 05 May, 2017 4:03 pm

I saw more pot holes than "road" when I was up there in Dec.2016. They were grading the road just past Arbuckle junction on the Howitt road. The winter and spring weather will wash all their good work away , as it usually does every year.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria