Upper Howqua car park - Thorn Range access

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Upper Howqua car park - Thorn Range access

Postby Mr Bean » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi,
After spending a long weekend at MacAlister Springs, walking up Howitt Spur track, then back down Stanley Named Spur Track, I'm curious to know the name of the track (a good 4WD track) which simply had the sign "Thorn Range access".

The sign was located at the junction of the Howitt Spur track and pointed to the left. To the right was the Howitt Spur track.
Cheers
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Upper Howqua car park - Thorn Range access

Postby peregrinator » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:40 am

Queen Spur Road. Once was a road but rapidly becoming a walking track.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Upper Howqua car park - Thorn Range access

Postby Mr Bean » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks peregrinator. I'm a little confused then, as I thought we had hiked to Red Rock Saddle, then on towards Mt Thorn, before veering left down this track. The confusing bit for me is the map we were working from didn't show Queens Spur Track in this arrangement. Queens Spur Track has now become a curiosity and a challenge. On the early part of our descent down Stanley Named Spur track, we attempted to find the upper parts of Queens Spur Track. We certainly found a track in the Howqua River north branch region, which appeared as a 3-4m wide cut bench. Unfortunately, it only lasted 800-1000m before running into thick vegetation, forcing us to hike out of the valley. A fun weekend had by all :-)
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria