What is this?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

What is this?

Postby JohnPervan » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:59 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the clearing in the middle of this aerial image is? It is just to the south of Bruntons Bridge on the Thomson River and just to the north of the Cowwarr-Walhalla gravel road. I have tried searching online with no success, it obviously looks like it has been cleared and there are signs of some form of buildings, I looked for a track when driving the Cowwarr Road and couldnt find anything. Just curious as to what it is or might have been?

Thanks
Attachments
Capture.JPG
JohnPervan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: What is this?

Postby fairman » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:02 am

I would suspect it was a selection offered to settlers a hundred years ago or so - land was cleared and grazed and it looks like it still is.

Throughout that area of Gippsland there are a few of them you sometimes find. Golden Point Track further to the east leads to another similar (though far less maintained) clearing at the bottom of the Avon Wilderness. It doesn't look that far off the way by map but when you're out there, feels like the middle of nowhere.
fairman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria