Hiking location suggestions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking location suggestions

Postby specialgray » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi All,

Looking for some local knowlege for a short multi day hike. My last chance to get out and away from the world for a few days as my wife is expecting in a couple of months. Requirements below:

- 3 or 4 days duration.
- Climbs good. Good long distance views better.
- Wild fine. Happy camping wherever I stop. I'd prefer to stay away from prepared camp sites if at all possible.
- Experienced hiker, good paper map and compass skills, water management and purification, have done multi day solo hikes across Europe, and recently Lerderderg gorge. I'll also have a hiking GPS, SPOT tracker and phone.
- Public transport if possible (even if only at one end, so I can be dropped off by car, then make my own way home by walking/trains/bus etc). I live in Kensington, so close to Melbourne CBD.

Suggestions ,tips and comments welcome!
specialgray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking location suggestions

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 11:30 pm

Anywhere in The Upper Howqua area might have appeal. Whether you start at the Upper Howqua campsite or from 8 Mile flat or from Ricthie's hut is up to you but there is a steep climb uphill to attain the main ridge which is continuous from The Bluff to Mt. Speculation.
Public Transport is not so good for this area.
You can get to Mt. Feathertop by V/line train to Wangaratta and V/line bus to Harrietville.

How far away from Melb. are you willing to go? Wilson's Prom . has the easier southern circuit ( 55 kms) and the tougher Northern circuit ( 60 kms).
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby specialgray » Sat 08 Apr, 2017 9:10 pm

Hmmm.. bit more reading and thinking.. Right now I'm thinking getting a train/bus to Harrietville then climbing Feathertop. Gives me the option to stay on the hill if it's nice, or the Fed hut if it's not so good.

That might do me for the first day. Now looking at routes to track over to Bogong with a stop on the way.

Possible the missus might drive me out there, stay in the local area for a few days, then pick me up from somewhere closer to Bogong. Again, going to read some more about routes/water locations/huts/road access etc.
specialgray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 1:57 pm

I would not camp on the summits of Mt FT or Mt. Bogong. It can become hostile in terms of weather and become far too windy !!!.
If you walk up the Bungalow spur to Fed. hut then the next day you can walk across the Razorback and over to Derrick's hut or even as far as Dibbin's hut.
You could make a loop of it and ascend the Diamantina spur :-0 and return to Harrietville back down the Bungalow spur or the NW spur.
That would add a few more nights to the trip but the weather would determine if the Razorback and the Diamantina spur are sane/safe options on any given day.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 4:28 pm

When are you thinking, SG? I'm heading up to Harrietville on the night of the 19th, I could give you a lift, if you like.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 6:43 pm

It is quite a slog from Mt. Feathertop to Mt. Bogong and finishing at Mountain Creek :-0.
Even the Falls Ck./ Watchbed Creek/ Mt.Nelse/Roper's hut/Duane spur/ Big River/ T- Spur/ Cleve Cole Hut / Mt. Bogong summit /Eskdale spur / Mtn. Creek route is a tough slog over 55 km 3 days and two nights.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby specialgray » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 10:33 pm

Kinsayder wrote:When are you thinking, SG? I'm heading up to Harrietville on the night of the 19th, I could give you a lift, if you like.

Thanks for the offer. Not sure yet, but probably next weekend. If I can go earlier, I'll give you a shout if you're still going up there :)
specialgray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby specialgray » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:23 am

OK guys (and girls).

So far, my rough plan is:

Day one - Harrietville to Mt Feathertop via Bungalow spur. Camp at Fed hut campground probably.

Day two - Follow the Razorback south to Diamantina hut. Take a gander around Mt Hotham, and follow the Swindlers spur to Dibbin Hut for the night.

Day three - Hike north via Red Robbin battery and Blair hut to the start of Diamantina spur, then West along the spur to Mt Feathertop again. Camp there for the night

Day four - Northwest Spur/Bungalow spur back to Harrietville.

I'd like to see if I could squeeze in another day's hiking and night camp in there as well, (perhaps somewhere East between Dibbin hut and Diamantina Spur?) but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. Not been to any of these places before, so happy to receive some local knowledge.

From what I've read on the forum, the site guides on trailhiking.com and having studied the map (SV Bogong area) there look to be enough water points if I'm careful, but again, feel free to let me know if you know differently.
specialgray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 6:13 am

If you intend doing NW spur then a camp at the MUMC hut would be better. This is a very long spur and it will put you 5km north of Harrietville at the trout farm. Dump you gear and walk back to the car. Stop for a home made ice cream at Morries which is opposite the Hoys chain and ski hire. The food there is excellent as well. I think your plan is doable but you may end up skipping the Hotham tour. Not a great amount to see anyway for the extra distance up the hill. Hope the weather is kind to you.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby specialgray » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks Xplora. I was wondering about the MUMC hut, good plan.

Been looking into public transport options and it appears that the Melbourne-Wangarata-Bright Vline service is fine (if a very early start) but the Omeo coach service has, since 1st April 2017, been closed as the company that run it has ceased trading.

Looking at seeing if I can borrow a car for a few days instead.
specialgray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 6:16 am

A car would be easier. Dyson's are supposed to be taking over the bus route from Omeo to Bright and back (the local news letter is still advertising the run). You can call them on 0477 991 377 but there would be other options from Bright to Harrietville. You would still need to get back to Harrietville to catch a bus to Bright or see if someone will pick up a stinky, dirty, worn out bloke. They may feel sorry for you. Don't forget to stop in at Blair's hut before you climb Diamantina spur. A really nice spot for a break. Most people would only climb that spur once so make the most of it. There are no fires allowed in MUMC hut but it is very comfortable.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby specialgray » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks Xplora, I'll be sure to check out the hut. I saw it on a few hiking blogs and it looks pretty cool. Looking forward to the dreaded Diamantina spur too, should be a nice challenge.

Any advice about parking in Harrietville? I'd be wary of parking the Mrs's car in the public car park at the base of Bungalow spur for a few days and nights. From what I can gather, there is "secure" parking at Hoys, but again, open to suggestions if anyone has any other ideas.
specialgray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 5:11 am

I have never had any problem in Harrietville but that is not to say there isn't any. Don't know of any secure parking at Hoys. Opposite is a public carpark and toilet next to Morrie's Ice cream cafe. If you left your car near there you could let the people in the shop know you will be gone for a few days. Emma and Pete who own it are very nice and live at the back of the cafe. Pete even drove me back down to the trout farm to collect my car once after a winter circuit similar to the one you are doing. I can't remember if this carpark is lit at night though.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria