Big River

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big River

Postby ianslater » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:41 pm

Can anyone tell me if the chain across Big River at the bottom of Duane/T Spurs off Mt Bogong has been replaced . In anticipation, thankyou and cheers.
ianslater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Big River

Postby Drew » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:30 pm

Don't know, but if so it might have been washed away all over again this weekend! Try the ranger at Mt Beauty, they often know.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ianslater » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks 4 the tip Drew
ianslater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:55 am

It has been replaced. Info from ranger at Mt. Beauty last year. There have been no reports of it being washed away again.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 7:06 am

Xplora wrote:It has been replaced. Info from ranger at Mt. Beauty last year. There have been no reports of it being washed away again.

Good answer. the ony way to find out is to go there. The chain is more likely to be washed away in winter and spring, but after the weather of the last few days, who can tell if it's intact? I'd work on the assumption that the chain is not there and if it is then it's a bonus. I'd also watch the weather closely, as the river may rise, making a crossing dangerous. Was there not a thread on this subject?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 8:43 am

Lophophaps wrote:but after the weather of the last few days, who can tell if it's intact? I'd work on the assumption that the chain is not there and if it is then it's a bonus. I'd also watch the weather closely, as the river may rise, making a crossing dangerous. Was there not a thread on this subject?

Melbourne has been hit harder than us. Is rained a bit yesterday and started again this morning. The river did not rise much overnight and is still sitting at below 1m at Joker. That will change when the snow melts. BHP road is closed today. I still doubt there will be any significant such as we get in spring. Keep and eye on this page http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml as it will give you some idea of what the river is doing. 2m at Joker could pose a problem at the crossing but it will drain quicker up there. At the current level you probably would not need the chain anyway. It is not always accurate to rely on rainfall figures for Falls Creek as when it snows the guage can get blocked and often it records nil. The BOM site is saying they had 24 mm yesterday but I suspect it was more as we have had around that and they usually get more.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ianslater » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks Xp and Lo, good info. Ian.
ianslater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 2:40 pm

Around 30cm of snow which will be melting pretty quick but as the rain has all but past I think it will have little overall effect. The Mitta is a bit brown at the moment but has not risen much. Interesting that BHP is showing open but the Great Alpine road is still closed according to Vic Roads.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby onward » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 6:30 pm

Crossed it today, knee deep and cold. Chain is still there, so are the climbs down and up!!
Thanks for the river height link xplora
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 6:53 pm

How are the tracks on Duane spur and the T- Spur?.
Is there much fallen timber?
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby onward » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 7:29 pm

Not much timber down despite the recent weather. There has been some track clearing in sections. Coming down T-Spur was painful because lots of wet leaves on the track making bits very slippery but I guess that will only be short term.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 5:22 am

Both spurs were cleared by Parks. I noticed the significant drop in water temps last week when I went for a fish. Still not cold enough for waders though but obviously the small snow thaw has not helped.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ianslater » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 3:11 pm

Thankyou for the update onward. Ian.
ianslater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria