Mt Buffalo NP Camping

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Buffalo NP Camping

Postby MickyB » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 6:04 pm

We will be heading up to Mt Buffalo NP next week. Unless all the stars align we won't be able to arrive until late afternoon however we don't want to pay $40+ to pitch a tent for the night at Lake Catani. Is there anywhere you can camp for free or do you have to pay to camp anywhere in the park? We would be happy to camp at a walk in site as long as it's not to far from the car (due to the time of day we will probably arrive). Would we be better to camp somewhere nearby to the NP? TIA.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Buffalo NP Camping

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 6:43 pm

$40-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
for *&^%$# sake how do they possible justify that?
For that much I want hot showers a laundry a cinema and a heated swimming pool and a jumping castle for the grandkids
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 6:52 pm

Look up Mt McLeod and Rocky Creek. They are two hike in only camp sites on Mt. Buffalo. They cost $14 per head per night. Lake Catani costs $55.00 !!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby MickyB » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 8:14 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Look up Mt McLeod and Rocky Creek. They are two hike in only camp sites on Mt. Buffalo. They cost $14 per head per night. Lake Catani costs $55.00 !!

Thanks PCV. I did see those campsites on the Parks Vic website but they might be too far to walk into if we arrive late in the arvo.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Avatar » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 1:17 am

When I was there some time ago there were changing rooms with hot showers - much appreciated after 3" of rain on the trip out to Mt McLeod. So take towels and a change etc. for the long drive back.
Might have been a laundry as well (?) since it does cater for families who stay a few nights.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 4:52 am

This may not be what you are after but since you will be arriving late, there are a number of free campsites on Buckland River Road, beside the river and the first is just over 14km from the Buffalo turnoff (but is going the wrong way). There are more as well for another 5km, all on the left side of the road. I know it is not on the mountain but it is not far and would only put you out less than an hour the next day. I found this site which may help http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Vict ... ping-areas
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby surly 17 » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 9:04 am

Hi MickyB I was going to suggest the Buckland River Road it's not to far out of your way and it's free.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MickyB » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks heaps Xplora and surly. That is absolutely perfect.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Victoria