Great Ocean Walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great Ocean Walk

Postby Ant71 » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi all my wife and I are looking to do the Great Ocean Walk in July. Just wondering if anyone has done this walk and more specifically how hard it is? We did the Overland track last year (our only multi night walk) so if anyone has done both of these walks and could give us a ruff comparison that would be great TIA
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Great Ocean Walk

Postby ianslater » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello Ant71, I did the OT a couple of years ago and the GOW just prior to last xmas. For mine the weather is the key factor . Whilst some people get a good run on the OT, we had a bit of everything in early autumn. On the GOW i put up with some rainy sections and some wind and some snakes. You won't have snow or ice or mud on the GOW so i rate it much easier but none the less a very enjoyable coastal walk. i guess your chances of meeting any snakes in july is minimal but i wear gators always. Just be well kitted out for the walk and enjoy. Cheers from Ian.
ianslater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby SueO1988 » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi Ant71, my husband and I and friends did this couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. We found it easier than the Overland Track maybe because we were a bit more experienced and had also done more training. We are now in the process of planning doing the Larapinta in June. I have also added my link to my blog from GOW. The camping grounds are fantastic, as well as the 3 sided shelters. We had no trouble with organising a shuttle at the end back to Apollo Bay. We did think as well that maybe on day 2 I think it was when we got to the lighthouse we could of not carried lunch that day and had it at the lighthouse. The meals looked fantastic and smelt beautiful. We sat in front of the fire for quite a while as we had been walking in rain. Had hot chocolate and hot scones!! Feel free to ask any questions, cheers Sue

https://trekintaleswordpresscom.wordpre ... 11/post-1/
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby blisters » Wed 03 May, 2017 12:55 pm

ianslater wrote: i guess your chances of meeting any snakes in july is minimal but i wear gators always.

Gaiters are also great for keeping the mud/dirt/thistles etc off your pants legs so no need to launder them after a hike -
using some supposedly snake-proof ones from Aussie Disposals currently.
blisters
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MickyB » Wed 03 May, 2017 5:00 pm

ianslater wrote:i guess your chances of meeting any snakes in july is minimal

Minimal but possible. I have seen them in June in the Otways.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Ant71 » Wed 03 May, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for the help people much appreciated. Sue thanks for the link :)
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Barrie » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi,
I was planning on hiking Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay in one day...
Is this too far in one day ?
Barrie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 8:30 am

Only 21.8km according to the map.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby MickyB » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 10:46 am

Welcome to the forum Barrie.

According to the following website you would need to walk 23.6kms http://www.greatoceanwalk.info/distances-difficulty/
It is certainly doable but would depend on your fitness levels.
Distances.jpg
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:40 pm

It's very easy to combine the first few sections if you want to save some time (i.e. do Sections 1 and 2 on Day 1, Sections 3 and 4 on Day 2).

Then take it easier on the rest of the walk if you have the time.

Note that the suggested times are based on 3 km/h which is very gentle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Barrie » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks heaps for all the replys.. very helpful
Barrie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby SueO1988 » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 12:41 pm

We did Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay in one day. It was fine, fairly flat as well. Got into Blanket Bay early arvo. I have added the link above to my blog if you would like more information.
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Suz » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 6:19 pm

Totes agree with ChrisJHC re: section combos.

...just want to add that if you're driving to the walk...then it's worth parking the car near the end of the walk at Princetown Reservation ...cheap camping with hot showers and some power points to recharge devices. I paid $15pn for camping (1p) and $20 for the week for Mick the manager to watch over my car.

Also, the Vline bus delivers you cheaply to the start of the walk (start either at Apollo Bay or Marengo) $10pp (I did it in May and the buses were running Mon, Wed, Fri - just check what their schedule will be for mid winter).

Both companies are easy to google.

I also combined my fifth day ... Ryan's Den to Princetown. From Princetown it's only 6km to Gibson Steps which is the last site on the trail - tbh I drove that bit tho ;)

Also if you want a nice and also affordable night in Apollo Bay - the YHA there is really very good.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Barrie » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks heaps again everyone
Barrie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:41 am

One thing worth noting (well, for me anyway) is that the GOW map, and possibly the website, shows public toilets at Princetown Reserve. These are locked and only available for use by campers.
Eremophila

Postby Biggles » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 10:44 am

Eremophila wrote:One thing worth noting (well, for me anyway) is that the GOW map, and possibly the website, shows public toilets at Princetown Reserve. These are locked and only available for use by campers.

They're good facilities, too. Ask Mick or Julia at Reception for entry code, showing your permit for the GOW.
I must say however it is not a pleasant place to camp in winter, with cold, blustery southerlies and driving rain. There are also public toilets opposite the (now closed) Princetown General Store and next door to the pub.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby djb21au » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:09 am

ianslater wrote:Hello Ant71, I did the OT a couple of years ago and the GOW just prior to last xmas. For mine the weather is the key factor . Whilst some people get a good run on the OT, we had a bit of everything in early autumn. On the GOW i put up with some rainy sections and some wind and some snakes. You won't have snow or ice or mud on the GOW so i rate it much easier but none the less a very enjoyable coastal walk. i guess your chances of meeting any snakes in july is minimal but i wear gators always. Just be well kitted out for the walk and enjoy. Cheers from Ian.

Ian – how did you find the supply of water at the camps during your walk? I'm guessing it was okay if you had rain. We are planning to do the GOW also just before Christmas this year and I'm wondering how much water we'll need to carry.

David
djb21au
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 9:42 pm

I've done the GOW a couple of times and never had an issue with water in the tanks. I've also never treated the water and had no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Return to Victoria