Snowshoe advice

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowshoe advice

Postby Drazah » Wed 17 May, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm looking to get into snowshoeing this winter and am after some advice on what snowshoes to buy. I generally hike as light as possible so I have been looking at northern lights snowshoes. I was wondering has anyone had much experience with these and what model would be the the best for the Victorian conditions, obviously I want something that is a good all rounder and can also handle a reasonably steep slope. Not sure weather I would fine with something out of
The trek/trail line or weather something from the tactical line woulb be better. I want a pair that I won't have to upgrade in a year or two, I would rather invest in the right pair from the start.
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Snowshoe advice

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 May, 2017 5:13 pm

Links please as i'm not familiar with the units.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Drazah » Wed 17 May, 2017 5:59 pm

Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bill P » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Drazah,
Ive found snowshoes which have a serrated vertical flat bar type extrusion for the perimeter frame to be much better rather than that with a round tubular frame ( as per your link) in offering purchase on steeper icy terrain.

Regards
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drazah » Thu 18 May, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks Bill,
Is there any models you can think of with this kind of perimeter frame, so I can look them up to get a better idea of what this design looks like
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bill P » Thu 18 May, 2017 7:27 am

Have a look at the MSR Lightning series for example
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 18 May, 2017 9:29 am

A quick search should throw up several threads here about snowshoes like this one http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7253. MSR Lightnings seem to be the most popular. There are now three binding options (Ascent, Explore, Trail) on each MSR model (Lightning, Evo, Revo). I just bought two pairs of Lightning Explore model as they were each $50 cheaper than the Ascent. The Ascent bindings look a bit more serious (3 straps across the foot plus heel strap) but the Explore binding seems quite capable of handling most conditions\ and should be much quicker to get in and out of.

I should add that womens models are a little narrower than the mens and so don't require quite as wide a stance but are really unisex.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Bill P » Thu 18 May, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi Mark, yes i think you will pleased with those. The cam locks on the Explore model looks promising. Im keen to hear what you think of them and Maybe I can retrofit cam closures onto the heel straps on mine. The toe straps are no concern, i find they are set and forget. Only ever change for different shoe types.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drazah » Fri 19 May, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I can definetly Se the design advantages of the msr range.
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 26 May, 2017 10:05 am

Come over to ski dot com. I am sure you will find more tips there. I swear by MSR Revo explore snow shoes with the heel lift.Get the tail extensions too.Get a Black Diamond whippet ski pole with the blade / or an ice axe too.
Some slopes are very steep and icy and if you slip and start to slide you need to be able to stop yourself.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria