The Goldfields Track/Great Dividing Trail?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Goldfields Track/Great Dividing Trail?

Postby onward » Fri 19 May, 2017 7:31 pm

Back a couple of weeks from the AAWT and have terribly itchy feet, I still have 6 weeks long service leave and I was looking for a wind down solo walk I could do in winter. I did the Great South Western Walk last winter so don't want to do it again, have walked Wilsons Prom circuit too many times; was thinking of doing The Goldfields Track/Great Dividing Trail, basically walking from Ballarat to Bendigo, looks pretty simple and only 200km. Yep it will be cold, the days short, mountain bikes use it and could be wet, with too many road bashes and not much infrastructure. An alternative is the Nadgee Howe Wilderness Walk from Mallacoota to Wonboyn, but transport appears to be a pain and it is relatively short. Would really like at least 7 days and am open to suggestions.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: The Goldfields Track/Great Dividing Trail?

Postby alanoutgear » Sat 20 May, 2017 8:02 pm

I've done a fair bit of the GDT north from around Creswick and it's a fantastic track. For most of it you need to be self sufficient and be able to get your own water, so a winter walk would be an advantage. There is lots of history and some great little towns to wander through along the way. There is a great guidebook which is an essential item for the track for the background and history (as well as accurate maps).
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby onward » Sun 21 May, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks alanoutgear
I'll order the book and start planning. I was planning on two food drops and a few more water drops.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wim » Mon 29 May, 2017 9:11 pm

Resupply at Daylesford and Castle Maine and send parcels in care of postoffice. Worked fine for me.
Plenty of water everywhere now.:D
Wim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria