Mt Howitt now where??

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Howitt now where??

Postby Lanewalker14 » Tue 30 May, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi guys,

I recently went on a great hike, i started at the mt Howitt car park. Headed towards mt howitt. Went and refilled my drink bottle at macalister spring which was great. From there i went onto crosscut saw and over mt buggery onto mt speculation.
I returned to the hut for the night for a much needed sleep and rest. Meet some great people there in Jim and Tammy which had some great stories from over at New Zealand where they live. The following day i headed up to mt howitt which was great aswel. Unfortunately i had to head back to the car park and head into the city.

I really enjoyed the great views that i could see on the open landscape below looking out into the hollow.
Can anyone suggest another walking track where it is nice and open on the tops with great views???
Lanewalker14
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Howitt now where??

Postby eggs » Tue 30 May, 2017 10:23 pm

Cobbler at the other end is very nice.
Bogong has extensive open tops.
The Feathertop walk along the Razorback is fairly clear and open.
And I simply loved the Jaithmathang / Fainter area.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 May, 2017 9:24 am

Lanewalker, welcome to the forum. Eggs has listed most of the places that suit your requirements. A number of walks start low in trees and slowly the trees get smaller, then stop, then the bushes stop and the big views begin. So you could perhaps think in this way - that the treeless vistas may take a few hours of walking in forest to get there. If you want a longer trip on open tops then the Bogong High Plains is the place to be in Victoria. NSW has the Main Range and Jagungal. But wait until October - the snows have arrived.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby peregrinator » Wed 31 May, 2017 10:34 am

For two-day walks, you could also approach Howitt from the Howqua River, head south to Mt Magdala, return the same way.

Get to and from The Nobs and Mt McDonald starting at Brocks Road/Clear Creek Track.

Cathedral Ranges, Major Mitchell plateau in the Grampians, and all of the previous suggestions!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dashandsaph » Wed 31 May, 2017 8:00 pm

And the last 2 suggestions by Perigrinator are far less likely to be affected by snow, so you can visit them on a good weekend before spring. Bit miserable on a bad weekend though.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 31 May, 2017 9:03 pm

Very good point, dashandsaph. My apologies for forgetting which season we are in. I was thinking of routes for future walks in anytime but winter. But of course, Mt William (Grampians) has had snow in summer!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 31 May, 2017 10:26 pm

Snow has never stopped me from visiting the Bogong High Plains, Mt. Bogong, The Razorback or The Main Range. In fact now is the time when those places all become more of an adventure.
I will be heading up to either Mt Loch or Mt. Feathertop on Sunday. In the snow . Yippee!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria