Help with choosing hike

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Help with choosing hike

Postby Dave86 » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 8:59 am

Hi All,

Just wanted some help with choosing a track\hike around the Mt Hotham area. Me and my partner are staying at Mt. hotham for 4 nights from the 23rd-26th this month. We would like to go for a hike however im not familiar with the area so need some help. What we are after is the following.

* Some great scenery (duh)
* Not more than 10km hike
* A hike that reaches the summit

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks
Dave
Dave86
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Help with choosing hike

Postby Mark F » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 9:16 am

I don't know how well you will go. I was up there last Wednesday/Thursday and the peaks above about 1600m were white. Dargo HP Road had up to 15cm on it in places as did the road up to Howitt car park. I camped in 15cm of snow there. Hopefully it will have melted off by now but consider something a bit lower down the mountain or take a toboggan.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 7:01 pm

In microspikes or snow shoes you could leave the car somewhere near the Mt. Loch car park and walk out to either Mt. Loch or to Derrick's hut and Spargo's hut. You would have to start at dawn and have good weather.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 5:14 am

Hard to know what the start of the snow season will do but likely around the Peaks there will be enough snow to get your feet wet. You should be able to hire snowshoes if you do not have them as yet and since you are already paying for parking then you could do the Razorback from Diamantina hut (just a bit further down the hill from Mt. Loch) toward Mt. Feathertop. Now it is a little more than 10km return to the summit but you only have to do as much as you want. Stunning view walking along the ridge line. Hotham does not have a great deal to offer in this regard. Falls Creek is much better suited to day walks but the season will be the killer.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dave86 » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks guys.

Xplora, I'm a bit confused with the razorback hike you mentioned. The below pdf states its 22km from diamantina hut to the summit?

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 3w&cad=rja

Do you have a map which lines out the exact track you've mentioned?

Thanks
Dave86
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 10:07 am

Dave86 wrote:Thanks guys.

Xplora, I'm a bit confused with the razorback hike you mentioned. The below pdf states its 22km from diamantina hut to the summit?

22km return maybe. But you don't have to go all the way - High Knob (the top of Diamantina Spur) is a good turn around point, for instance.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 2:36 pm

I think you are better working on a time allocation than a distance as it will be harder going in the snow. 22km sounds about right to the summit and back. We did 11km the other day in the snow without snowshoes and it took half a day with stops, lunch, chasing down horses. Probably about 3 hours of walking but much steeper than the Razorback on the way in. If you are moderately fit then you could expect about the same.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria