Donna Buang to Dom Dom Saddle -hints and tips.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Donna Buang to Dom Dom Saddle -hints and tips.

Postby fairman » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:37 am

I'm considering doing a winter hike this year from Donna Buang to Dom Dom saddle folliwing the Boobyalla - Mt Vinegar track. I just wanted to check in with the forum to see if any one has done this whole route recently (I see some people have done parts of it), what season they did it in, and how they found it.

Also, given that it's winter and with not much day light I'm considering camping one night along it, once we get towards the State Forest end to avoid any issues with Melb Water. Any one camped along it and can recommend a good spot? Is the top of Mt. Vinegar flat?

I've read up about it from Siseman's classic "Melbourne's Mountains" Seems like it would be quite an interesting walk passing through a lot of old-growth ash forest, myrtle beech, before crossing into the logged and or 2009 burned regrowth above the Acheron Way. They also make mention of the Cleft Rock detour from the track, and a forestry hut maintained by scouts along it, but I'm getting the vibe that's been obliterated by either 2009 or logging - the book is 24 years old, after all!

Anyway - just keen to hear people's thoughts.
fairman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Donna Buang to Dom Dom Saddle -hints and tips.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:38 pm

Take lots of salt. That is LEECH country.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby neilmny » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 5:22 am

Have a look at Google Earth. Logging coupes abound through the whole area just outside the catchment.

Donna dom dom logging.png
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby fairman » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 1:53 pm

Yep - have already scoped it. Guess I'm interesting if anyone knows whether that has made track conditions better or worse in the last little while...
fairman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby fairman » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 1:54 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Take lots of salt. That is LEECH country.

I spend a lot of time in wet forests as part of my work, I have grown very used to those little suckers!
fairman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stry » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 6:12 pm

You will need to find a pad or whatever to walk on. I haven't done what you are proposing, but the bits of that ridge that I have been on are pretty thick, crappy country to try and get through. Overgrown deadfall timber, regrowth etc. Simply trying to follow the lie of the land and the topography could be frustrating and hard.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 6:41 pm

stry wrote:... the bits of that ridge that I have been on are pretty thick, crappy country to try and get through. Overgrown deadfall timber, regrowth ...

Does the track no longer exist? It used to be very easy to follow four or five years back, which was the last time I went through there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby fairman » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 8:38 am

stry wrote:I haven't done what you are proposing, but the bits of that ridge that I have been on are pretty thick, crappy country to try and get through. Overgrown deadfall timber, regrowth etc. Simply trying to follow the lie of the land and the topography could be frustrating and hard.

Which bits have you been on, roughly? And when did you do it? Interested to learn a little for what I am getting myself into.
fairman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 9:42 am

There is a 10 year old report on this walk Fernshaw to Warburton here - http://bandc.pbworks.com/w/page/1277822 ... 0Warburton
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria