Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Overnight Bushwalking Ideas

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:46 pm

Hey guys, I've been lurking around for a while and really liked the advice that has been given here. I'm currently planning a trip with a couple mates who are based in Melbourne that were thinking of doing overnight hikes and bush camping around VIC High country/Alpine National Park area.

Personally, I haven't hiked in high country but have done several overnights before. I've done some searching and have come across some suggestions or walks that have been done before i.e. Niggerheads/Mt Fainter but would like more experienced suggestions from you guys on where we should start.

(Preferably one that takes us up to one of those big flat, open areas where we can see the other mountains/surrounding landscape as we were thinking of maybe doing a photoshoot if anyone knows of it)

Thanks.

Re: Overnight Bushwalking Ideas

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:55 pm

Bryan, welcome to the forum. You may have to wait for a month or more for the fine weather to arrrive and the snow to melt or be washed away. Also, a number of roads are closed until the Thursday before Cup Day, and that may be varied. So access could be an issue.

Can you please give an idea of how far you want to walk each day, how much climbing is acceptable, if you like tracks or off tracks, and anything else that can assist in giving advice? Are you after a weekend walk or longer?

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 5:14 pm

Lophophaps wrote: Can you please give an idea of how far you want to walk each day, how much climbing is acceptable, if you like tracks or off tracks, and anything else that can assist in giving advice? Are you after a weekend walk or longer?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
Timing's not a problem, we're definitely waiting for better weather. We are looking at doing a weekend away.

I'm leaning more towards lower mileage, around 10-12km a day would be sufficient, 15km might be pushing it for some of my mates as some have not done overnights or extended walks before. Climbing shouldn't be an issue. I would tend to stick to tracks as although I've done some rogaining before, I'm not as competent with a map and compass as I would've liked to but going a little off track shouldn't be a problem.

I was glancing over the seasonal road closures and pretty much see that majority of roads are closed like you've highlighted. Just curious as to what tracks would be open this time of year for future reference?

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 8:10 pm

It's good to be a bit conservative when starting on overnight walks, and then you can get to know your limits. Also, if you make better time than expected you can set up camp early and do something meaningful, like have a nap or a cup of tea. Roads are closed all over Victoria and other places for winter; you just have to pick your spots.

The high plains in spring is lovely. There's a number of good tracks and walks, and due to the open nature of the place you can go pretty well anywhere. Fainters is possible as a weekend. Start at Bogong Village, then up for about five hours to Bogong Jack saddle for lunch. Another few hours and you are over Fainters with water in a few creeks and camping anywhere, low in shelter in bad weather, higher more exposed in fine weather. However, this is 1000 metres up and over 12 kilometres, so maybe another day.

By driving for another 40 minutes you get past Falls Creek and can go pretty well anywhere. Park at the Cope Hut turnoff, and go west under Rocky Knobs to Pretty Valley. Pick up the pole line to Tawonga Huts. You can go to Tawonga Huts for the night or stay high and go to the saddle south of Mount Jaithmathang, side-trip. Then go back to the packs and head south to Mount Jim and camp near there or, if the weather is bad, head for Youngs Hut. This is about 16 kilometres plus the side-trip if camping at Youngs Hut, but most is easy reasonably flat walking, and you can stop in a number of places. The second day is much shorter, just follow the poles, and maybe a side-trip to Mount Cope. This can be approached from the Cope East Aqueduct. It's easy navigation in light scrub - up. When up becomes down you are at the summit. There's a track on the east side, then north to the car.

This is a reasonably straightforward walk, navigation not too hard, easy off track sections, able to stop in many places, several huts to hide in, camping fairly high possible in good weather, reliable water, handy to shops, schools and public transport, renovated in ... sorry, I thought I was at work. The main negative is that it's a long way to go for a weekend.

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:25 pm

An alternative easy introductory walk is Lake Tali Karng. Can be done in two days or a very easy three days.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/natural ... idden-lake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 12:05 am

I'm watching this thread with interest too. I'm new to overnight walks and looking to get a couple of mates into it. Also in Victoria, and interested in one and two night walks as a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:38 am

Bogong High Plains Road usually opens mid to late October but this year I can see it closed to early November. It is snowing again. Given the late snow, many other tracks may remain closed for longer but my gut feeling is most will open on Cup weekend. Access is really about the type of vehicle you have. Early opening tracks may still be wet and cause problems for 2wd or SUV. Lops has set out some good ideas for the High Plains and if you plan for mid November or later then you should be fine. Anything on Mt. Bogong would be good but the snow may stick around a bit longer there. Harrietville to Feathertop, the Razorback and Bon Accord Spur would cover your requirements. Plenty here about those walks so happy searching.

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 10:47 am

Plenty in the Cathedral Ranges. We did Messmate Tk, Canyon Tk/Razorback Tk (warning - rock scrambling and not for the scared of heights) staying at The Farmyard, then out via Ridge Tk. http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... state-park

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 9:18 pm

Wilson's Prom. is where I started my overnight hiking life. Give it a go but stick to weekdays.
I am now an Alpine N.P. kind of person. If you can wait until the Howitt Road is opened and have a suitable vehicle then MacAlister springs in mid to Late Nov. would be good. I took a friend up there.He loved it .
We did day hikes from a base camp at MacAlister Springs to Hell's Window and Mt. Magdala and back as well as to Mt . Buggery and back. The Summit of Mt. Howitt and the day walk over the Cross Cut Saw are all memorable and spectacular places to walk. The 6 km Hike from the Howitt plains Car Park to the Gantner hut is easy and pleasant.
In Spring weather the water at Hell fire Creek near the saddle between Big Hill and Hell's Window would be flowing. The Campsite there is lovely if the water is available.
It could snow up there in Spring and the dirt road can turn to poo... in bad weather. I now have a RAV 4 AWD car so that is more the kind of car that would suit those roads. The short walk out to Guy's hut en route at the Gorge car park is also worthwhile. The Drive up there via Traralgon is a long way . Allow 5 hours from Melb. one way and budget 3 nights at Mac. Springs if you can manage the time.
Post a reply