Car camping AND overnight hike

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Car camping AND overnight hike

Postby Brybry » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 2:50 am

Hi all, was hoping to get some advice from anyone willing to give it.

So there's a bunch of us, some local, some couchsurfers... I organised a trip for 15 to Grampians for Easter and it was awesome. We only did day hikes so basically car camped.
As a follow-up we want to do another camping trip for the Melb Cup weekend, there will probably be 10 or so but a few (3, but it could grow) also would like to do an overnight hike (warmup for a 3 day hike in tassie for Xmas). Pretty sure I'm the only one with overnight hiking experience though, but we're all (reasonably) fit 25-35 year olds.

So my question to you all is, can you suggest any sites that:
A) would be available (no booking required) for cup weekend.
B) are accessible by car
C) have an overnight hike starting from the site or not too far away. A circuit would be nice. 2 nights would be considered but probably not preferred. I'd say 10-15km to the camp-site would be good. Again, prefer no booking required.
D) (nice to have) different environment to Grampians... I was hoping for rainforest actually! Though am open to beach or alpine... In fact my first thought was Mt Baw Baw
E) water and drop toilets at least at the 'base camp'. Campfire preferred.

Just to reiterate, not everyone is doing the overnight... I expect some will happily chill at the 'base camp'. The ones that do the overnight I will be making them get appropriate gear.
Brybry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Car camping AND overnight hike

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 6:52 am

Beeripmo is my go-to hike for beginning hikers. You will have to book the campsite but it should be okay if you get in soon.

Meets all your criteria above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 7:56 am

Yep, Beeripmo ticks all your boxes. The PDF online map is all you need.

You could do parts of the Great Ocean Walk, basing the group in one of the public campsites at Blanket Bay, Parker Hill, Aire River or Johanna Beach. Get the non-walkers to drop you at your preferred starting point and walk back to the base camp over 1 or 2 nights. Easier to plan if you get hold of the official map. No campfires and you'd definitely need to book both the base campsite and the overnight sites.
Those at base camp could sample parts of the trail in either direction, and would have access to the beach.
Eremophila

Postby Brybry » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 8:37 am

Ah, thanks for that guys. I was actually thinking about Beeripmo myself as it does have the camp-site at the start... I went there with a uni club a few months ago. Selfishly, I'd rather not do it again this year... Also, given the number of tourists we have, was hoping to show them some different terrain to Grampians. I see there are a lot of hikes near there and I literally only did 1x 2 day circuit walk... Are they varied in terrain and types of sights? Any waterfalls? We do love waterfalls. :) one of the highlights of Grampians was splashing around in the waterfalls.

Great ocean walk... That does sound interesting. I didn't even bother to look as a) didn't think it would be available anyway and b) didn't know about the group sites.

Not trying to be rude... But any other ideas?
Brybry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bigwallclimber » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 8:51 am

Brybry wrote:Ah, thanks for that guys. I was actually thinking about Beeripmo myself as it does have the camp-site at the start... I went there with a uni club a few months ago. Selfishly, I'd rather not do it again this year... Also, given the number of tourists we have, was hoping to show them some different terrain to Grampians. I see there are a lot of hikes near there and I literally only did 1x 2 day circuit walk... Are they varied in terrain and types of sights? Any waterfalls? We do love waterfalls. :) one of the highlights of Grampians was splashing around in the waterfalls.

Great ocean walk... That does sound interesting. I didn't even bother to look as a) didn't think it would be available anyway and b) didn't know about the group sites.

BryBry, why not look at Lerderderg state park, there is the O'Briens campground which will be packed to all hell, another option is Margarets camp. This is drive able (I walk in) from what I understand, you can then base yourself there and do a multitude of walks around there. You could do Amblers Track, Trout Track and then O'briens, not a huge walk but good. You could also do the East West track with is about 16km and doable in a day.

Just a thought.
Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bigwallclimber » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 8:54 am

bigwallclimber wrote:
Brybry wrote:Ah, thanks for that guys. I was actually thinking about Beeripmo myself as it does have the camp-site at the start... I went there with a uni club a few months ago. Selfishly, I'd rather not do it again this year... Also, given the number of tourists we have, was hoping to show them some different terrain to Grampians. I see there are a lot of hikes near there and I literally only did 1x 2 day circuit walk... Are they varied in terrain and types of sights? Any waterfalls? We do love waterfalls. :) one of the highlights of Grampians was splashing around in the waterfalls.

BryBry, why not look at Lerderderg state park, there is the O'Briens campground which will be packed to all hell, another option is Margarets camp. This is drive able (I walk in) from what I understand, you can then base yourself there and do a multitude of walks around there. You could do Amblers Track, Trout Track and then O'briens, not a huge walk but good. You could also do the East West track with is about 16km and doable in a day.

Just a thought.
Dave

I forgot to say, if you have asuunto watch with GPS, jump onto the movescount site and you can see come of the walks. There are plenty in there and I stayed in an OB campsite not long ago which I can tell you about.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bobcrusader » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 5:36 pm

Cathedral Ranges ticks the boxes, but would be busy over cup weekend.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 7:01 pm

Anywhere you go will be busy over Cup weekend.
But I'd head for the Bogong High Plains. Plenty of options for both day walks and overnightters. Plenty of carcamping options.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 8:38 pm

Plus 1 for the Bogong High Plains but this snow season has been late and heavy so I do not expect the BHP road to open on or before cup day 2017. You would have to possibly drive into the Pretty Valley hut area from Falls Creek and then head for Ryder's hut or Young's hut .
The other options for the BHP are to hike in from lower down at Howman's Gap or from Trapper's Gap or from Bogong Village. Fording streams in early November could be ' interesting' what with the snow melt and all , the creeks will be pumping!.
If you are not very experienced at navigation then following the pole lines over the treeless high plains is usually easy . It could suddenly snow quite a bit up there in November. I mean pole No. 333 is situated at 1799 M. ASL.
This Cup day long weekend,
Our crew are taking on Muesli spur/ Mt. Spec./ Crosscut saw/ Mac. Springs/ Stanely Name Spur/ Upper Howqua and over to Bindaree Falls. It will be quite a trek.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria