Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Postby tallblueboy » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 11:32 am

Diving at Tali reminds me of a dive i did at eildon about 35 years ago. we entererd from the side and dived down and it got very dark and very cold , as we swam along the sides a giant yabbie (and im talking at least 2 foot long ) came up to my mask a tried to bite it. i got such a fright I went straight to the surface and i was like lazurus walking on water to get out of the lake. Did not go down again.
tallblueboy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby The Trout Hunter » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 7:00 pm

G'day again,

Thinking of revisiting LTK again around October and wanted to see if anyone knows how good/bad the 4WD track from Moroka Road down to Millers Hut is? I cannot find any info on the net and most of my maps are just stating its another 4WD track.

Any updated info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Brad
The Trout Hunter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 7:58 pm

The first section of the track up to the creek crossing is good - fairly level, not too many potholes. It goes downhill (condition wise) after that. Also, there is an extended rough steep climb up to the Wellington ridge. It's real 4WD country, not suitable for SUVs.
And if you want to get past Millers and out to Gable End/Sentinels, there are some patches of really evil smelling mud.
Oh, and the road is gated until Cup Weekend.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby The Trout Hunter » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks NNW :)
The Trout Hunter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dar_sbb » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey guys,

Heading up to tali karng for the first time this weekend. Gonna do the mcfarlane saddle to the lake route.
Driving wise to mcfarlane saddle, if snow is present are snow chains needed on moroka rd? (I do have a 4wd, muddies and a front locker)

The info has been great and cant wait to get up there!
dar_sbb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 6:22 pm

I've never needed snow chains on the 4WD on that road and, as the snow has been in retreat for some weeks, I doubt you'll have any trouble. The stretch from Tamboritha Saddle past Long Plain to Arbuckle on the Tamboritha Road is usually where the drifts are thickest if there's any snow there, but I can't see there being any at this stage. Moroka Road is usually pretty clear except maybe near MacFarlane's itself.

Enjoy.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dar_sbb » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey guys,

thanks for the response nnw. Didnt need chains, the track up is actually very good.

Didnt get to the lake though. Shattered yes. After work friday got into licola quite late (7:15pm) and couldnt fuel up as everything was closed.
camped at camp site 2 (cant remember the name.. boobloo... i think).
morning went back down to licola and refueled (fuel price at the time was 1.75ulp for anyone interested). Then drove up to mcfarlane saddle.

We used the SV maps. We got up to the moroka gap track, which i believe it was the turn off... there was one sign post pointed to the left, which i think was moroka gap and one pointing in the direction we came. As there was quite a bit of snow we tried to find the track towords so we went left and walked under a wooden gateway kinda thing... then proceeded through the snow to a sign that pointed in the direction to Mt Wellington. it was getting pretty late and we believed that this was actually going to mt wellington lookout. so decided to call it quits and find a place to camp.

If we continued down the track that pointed towards mt wellington would we hit the turnoff towards the campsite at Riggalls hut?
will upload some pics anyway of the trip. i def gonna try and hit this in the next couple of weeks and finish what we started.
dar_sbb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby icefest » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 8:05 pm

I walked up to tali the weekend before last (10 days ago) via the wellington river track. The lake was lapping at the campsite, but there was still flat ground available. The river crossings were safe, the deepest was only up to mid calf.
If you can get to camp site 11 on friday night it is an easy 6 hour walk to tali the next day.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 6:11 pm

dar_sbb:

You keep going straight past the Moroka Gap turnoff,although getting up onto the Wellington Ridge will still get you to the Riggalls campsite albeit via a much longer route.
Essentially you just ignore any sidetracks, stick to the main track, and the campsite is in the eastern corner at the junction with the 4WD track that comes down from Wellington Ridge and continues towards the lake. It's usually only two to three hours there from MacFarlane's.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Northy351 » Fri 28 Dec, 2012 8:15 am

Merry Christmas everyone

Ok my 2012 adventures were washed away with a heavy down pour of rain for a whole week , now 2013 is only few days away, watchout Lake Tali I'm on me way there.

north-north-west you interested in being a tour guide for s few of us ;)

If weather is permitting will be up at the lake if plan comes together in mid to late January 2013 , now reading a few of the later posts on this thread maybe I will leave my flippers and snorkling gear at home LOL , Just kidding ;)

I know half the fun is walking but has anyone actually used a quadbike to get the lake ?

cheers
Northy351
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Trout Hunter » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 10:17 am

Hi again everyone,

We are the same, hoping to get back to LTK early next year - but last time we hiked in it was from McFarlanes saddle to Millers Hut, then to Tali.. This time we would like to try from Licola way and come up through the Wellington River track, I have googled and checked all the maps and the route looks fairly clear. Just wanted any advice on the track/river crossing conditions? We have maps and a GPS with most positions marked but if anyone has any extra info on this route, the advice would be great :)

Thanks in advance :)
Brad
The Trout Hunter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 12:30 pm

Northy351 wrote:I know half the fun is walking but has anyone actually used a quadbike to get the lake ?

Try it and I hope you drown. These are walking tracks. No vehicular access - and that includes trailbikes, ATVs and anything else you can think of with an engine. Even horses aren't permitted beyond the horseyard on the Echo Point Track.
Besides the legalities and the sheer *&%$#! insensitivity of taking a vehicle into an area like this, the tracks couldn't cope with the weight or speed of a powered vehicle. You'd probably kill yourself trying it.
Oh, on second thoughts - go ahead.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby magichat » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 6:24 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Northy351 wrote:I know half the fun is walking but has anyone actually used a quadbike to get the lake ?

Try it and I hope you drown. These are walking tracks. No vehicular access - and that includes trailbikes, ATVs and anything else you can think of with an engine. Even horses aren't permitted beyond the horseyard on the Echo Point Track.
Besides the legalities and the sheer *&%$#! insensitivity of taking a vehicle into an area like this, the tracks couldn't cope with the weight or speed of a powered vehicle. You'd probably kill yourself trying it.

LOL I think thats a no to being a tour guide..
magichat
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Northy351 » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 7:24 pm

PMSFL ok i get the message!!!!!! ;) north-north-west I'm very abled walker, seems I will have to look into the sky and navigate via the stars LOL, thanks for the polite complementary answers.

Flippers/snorkle and fishing gear packed , watchout trouts hopefully no huge yabbies there.

Just asking questions due to the fact 4wd tracks seemed to exist ???

Cheers
Northy351
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BillV » Tue 01 Jan, 2013 1:36 pm

north-north-west wrote:

Was overtaken by a Motorbike high up on Riggalls spur on Friday(Where all the felled trees are)............bloke reconed he was doing it harder than me with my with a backpack and was quite nervous as to exactly where he was,even though I could see 2 GPS on his bike.........Xmass I spose... :lol:
BillV
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby phillis » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 10:42 am

phillis wrote:Hey all.
Im really interested in tackling Tali Kahn over the Labour Day Long weekend, first weekend in march. It'll be my 2nd solo hike, after recently completing Mt Feathertop via the Razorback track by myself a few weeks ago. Whats the best route to take?

Hey all

For some reason i cannot log in under my previous username, phillis, so ive had to sign up under a new username phillis 86 :D the post above is me!
EDIT by moderator - fixed.

Im thinking of doing Lake Tali Karng wednesday or thursday this week. has anyone got any idea what the track up to macfarlane saddle is like (or if it is open at all) and how high the lake is? is it up around the tree line still or is there still a decent amount of land between the trees and water?
phillis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 4:59 pm

phillis86 wrote:For some reason i cannot log in under my previous username, phillis, so ive had to sign up under a new username phillis 86 :D the post above is me!

Email sent.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby chops38 » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 12:19 pm

Long time reader, first time poster!

My wife and I did the Tali Karng walk from Macfarlane's Saddle on the 27th Dec.

In response to previous question the track to the carpark is an easy 2wd track, it had recently been graded and easy to travel at 60-80km an hour along it.

Parked at Macfarlane Carpark and flew through the 10km or so accross the reasonably flat High Plains (amazing scenery) although it was very hot and heaps of flies!!! Very interesting to see all the deer prints around any water source (mostly bogs), there must be plenty about up there. Just prior to reaching the intersection near Millers Hut the lovely wife stood right ontop of a Copperhead Snake, thankfully even with her squealing and jumping up and down the snake decided to crawl away as opposed to fighting back. Thankfully, as she wasn't wearing gaitors!
We took Gilious Track down and boy is this steep! I think it almost took as long to walk the final 3kms as it did for the first 10! All in all I think I recall it to be about 3.5 hours of walking (even though the sign at the carpark suggested 6-9 hours)

Got to the Lake and were absolutely in love with the place, set up camp and went for a swim. Well worth the walk and the swim was very refreshing after a hot sweaty walk.

I'd brought my trout rod with me and threw lures and spinners for the last 2 hours of light to no avail. I could see there were plenty of fish there, and was putting the lures right past their nose, however they just weren't biting. I've found this in the past on really hot nights also. Generally I find I have more success in rivers and creeks in these conditions.

We decided to take the Echo Point track back out the next morning and join up the the Macfarlane Saddle track via that way as it seemed like a slightly less steep track, however still a decent ascent. I think the walk back took about 4.5 hours.

I think next time we'll try and leave the car at the Wellington River track and maybe walk out via that direction as I generally prefer to not simply walk out over the same track I walked in on.
Has anyone had any luck hitching a ride from where this track joins the main rd up the the Saddle carpark?

After that we gave the 4wd a proper work out and made our way to Dargo via Billy Goat Bluff Track. WOW, for those that also love this outdoor persuit this track is a must do and there are lots of brilliant car based camping sights along the Wonangatta river at the bottom.
chops38
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 2:25 pm

Great report Chops.
I'll bet she kept a close eye on every foot step after stepping on the copperhead.
Where it said thankfully.....I was expecting it to say she was wearing her kevlar bullet proof gaiters :)
She should buy a lotto ticket on the strength of that episode. :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Northy351 » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 10:20 am

Hi, if man could workout fish and women his life would be complete??? Be gentle on me LOL. Trout as many other species of fish will go off the bite may reasons why but all gets to scientific for me but when they're hungry can be crazy fishing times.

I'm all packed and ready to head out there. Watchout out copperheads as my russian mate eats snakes :? and I'm not kidding LOL once the food supply dwindles his a great hunter man.

Cheers
Northy351
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewbish » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:30 am

My 11yo daughter nearly stood on a copperhead at Moroka Gorge a couple of summers back. She wasn't wearing gaiters either. Her reaction was to perform a physics defying (think: "The 7 Samurai"), leap in the opposite direction. I don't think she even bent her knees. ;)

Billy Goats Bluff is a hoot in a 4wd. The top section has a few spots that are very diff-unfriendly.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby BillV » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 7:27 am

http://www.facebook.com/MyAawtPage#!/ph ... =1&theater

I was in the area late December Beautiful weather, no snakes 1 Deer........:)
BillV
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Lake Tali Karng, Victoria. - bushfires out Sale

Postby Northy351 » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Billy nice facebook link , mite have to drop a line on there,

100% Lake Tali Karng, Victoria is on the list, just learnt my Russian fishingmate has a hernia in the abdomen waiting for doctor's prognosis on this coming Monday 4th/2/2012. Either way his in pain and hiking is out of the question for him we had planned.

So looks like I'm heading out on my own. With all the bushfires out that way will be interesting.

My scheduled date is now on the 11th/2/2012 fingers crossed plans don't have to be changed again.

With all the bushfires out Sale way North to North-east area what is the terrain like now ? has it affected the Lake Tali Karng, at all regardless of which way one enters it via ??

I'm planning to walk it from the North side of Licola top end car park area.

Licola , Lake Tali Karng, VIC http://maps.google.com.au/

cheers
Northy351
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BillV » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 1:28 pm

Area wasn't affected by the fires........Very dry though.....Would be out of the question for your mate I'd recon..........My understanding is that the fires on hit the lower end of the Ben curachan area...And diddn't affect the Avon wilderness or the Alpine Nat park......so none of the main access points should be affected..........
BillV
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dar_sbb » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 12:54 pm

Hey guys...

im around 6-7months late in posting my photos. Im still shattered that we couldnt find the route. Gotta give it another crack... hopefully during the nice weather we have been having
These were some of my pics. Not many as the weather went quite crappy towards the end of the day

dar_sbb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Kinsayder » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 1:24 pm

Nice pictures, dar_sbb. I think got lost when I headed out that way a couple of years ago too! From memory I had myself down for a Mt Wellington circuit from McFarlane but the track eventually headed out to the East and I just hauled down through some cliffs, scrub and a creek or two to get back to McFarlane. I blamed it on a dodgy map at the time but hindsight suggests that it was probably just me. Still haven't been to that lake yet.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickprodan » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 6:53 pm

Have not posted since last year when me and a friend got stuck with a blown engine on the B1 4wd track heading in to Tali Karng and had to walk out all the way to licola to get picked up by my brother.
Well just got back from Tali Karng and was successful with the B1 track entry/exit this time. Walked up the clive lanigan track onto the valley of destruction. Not a great move with 25kg packs as it took us hours to get up the final kilometre.
The lake was quite low from pics in the previous year. And i suspect with the drought all the fires in recent months the water bombing crews would have used Tali karng as their water source. Hasnt changed much in the 20 years since i was there previous.
Such a magnificent isolated spot.
Attachments
20130317_140325.jpg
20130315_093608.jpg
20130315_170407.jpg
20130315_170414.jpg
20130316_104714.jpg
Mickprodan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jjay » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 9:38 pm

We were out there over the labour day weekend. Year on year comparing photos the level of the lake is astounding.

Once the track starts crossing the river, it gets a bit difficult to find the track at some of the fords. Given the level of the river (more like a creek at the moment) it's not a real issue because you can jay walk downstream until the next marker I found, but as of now I'd advise travelling with a decent map and not just relying on markers to guide your way (which you should be anyway).

We also ended up driving down the b1 track...it's a bouncy fun ride on the way back up! Was a bit surreal driving down the path that I'd been walking ok many hours prior!
jjay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mickprodan » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 5:37 am

We also had to backtrack a couple of times on the walk in as some tracks lead to nowhere. Lost about 2 hours doing this. Yeah the first hill coming out of the B1 is quite steep and rocky. Wouldnt want to be doing it after heavy rain which I was praying not to happen. Had to bring out the chainsaw a couple of times going in for fallen trees. Was tali karng busy over labour day weekend jjay?
Mickprodan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gmac » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 9:00 pm

Was finally able to get over and walk into the Lake over the long weekend. I was in a group that walked in across the Wellington Plain on the Saturday and camped at the Nyimba camp site. We then did the the day walk down the Gillios track to the Lake. Once down we walked around to the falls with some of the group returning the same way and some completing the full circuit. Once that was completed we all went for the refreshing swim.

While at the Lake I reckon there was about probably about 17-20 people, all appeared to be day walkers except 2.

We then took the Echo Point track and Riggall's track back to camp walking through a welcome rain shower on the way back.
100_2520.JPG
100_2527.JPG
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria