Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Postby Pebbles » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 3:06 pm

Has anyone been up to Tali Karng since the February fires? I heard that parts of the region are now closed but I don't know where to get info from re. track closures, park closures etc. I'm hoping to do a trip up there sometime between late October and December.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also any advice as to best routes etc. as I have never been to the area before.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 8:31 pm

I've been in there from MacFarlane Saddle, just a month or so after the previous fires (The Great Divide Complex). That's the only track that's officially open now - Mt Catharine, Echo Point, Riggall Spur and the Wellington River tracks have all been closed since those fires and the subsequent flooding. I didn't think the February fires went anywhere near Tali Karng's access points.
But I don't know if the road to MacFarlane Saddle is open at the moment. Tamboritha Road could well be gated below the Junction.
There'll be info on the VicParks website:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au

There's a section there headed 'More Information'. Road and Track Closures are included in that.
Last edited by north-north-west on Tue 01 Sep, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 8:49 pm

A bit more detail if you've never been in there: there used to be three main routes into Tali Karng
1) Wellington River, from the carpark where the sealed road turns to gravel;
2) from MacFarlane Saddle via Wellington Plains (and possibly Spion Kop) & Gillio's or Echo Point/Riggall Spur;
3) via Mount Catharine, which track started from well down the river valley and joins up with the Wellington River track a bit before the Valley of Destruction.

Mount Catherine track was wiped out by the Great Divide Fires.
Wellington River track was wiped out by the flooding following the fires.
Riggalls Spur, Valley of Destruction, Echo Point Tracks were wiped out by the fires. They are passable, but only with a hell of a lot of hard work climbing under over and around fallen trees, and trying to find the correct route. Riggalls Spur, in particular, is 'only with a chainsaw' status.

Which leaves MacFarlane Saddle, Wellington Plains and Gillio's. There are plenty of side trips on the way in, too - Mount Wellington, Picture Point and Spion Kop (both can be a bit awkward because of regrowth from the earlier fires), Miller's Hut, blah blah blah.

You need the appropriate map, of course. It's either Moroka or Wellington in the (new) 1:50,000km set. Both, technically, but one covers only the very first little bit of the track.

Anything else you want to know?
It's easy enough walking, a little gentle undulation until you get about halfway along Gillio's when it starts to go down steeper and rougher to the lake side. A bit more of a climb if you do it via Spion Kop. A lovely little place.

MW9.jpg
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 8:13 pm

Errrr, correction. I think that should be Mt Margaret, not Mt Catherine. Or Catharine, as I was spelling it half the time. :oops:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pebbles » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 5:17 pm

Brilliant. Thanks for the info and doing all that research! Very much appreciated. I think I'll have a go at it sometime in the next few months.
Thanks again.

Geoff.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 7:33 pm

No research, it was all from memory. I love Wonnongatta Moroka. And if the Tamboritha Road's open I'll be heading up there this weekend, as soon as the car's been serviced. My snowshoes are waiting for me at Post Office! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 9:10 pm

Went up there Saturday arvo. Pity I had to be back that night, it was wonderful up there. In other words, no other people!

The Tamboritha Road is open. Howitt Road is closed near Kelly's Lane. That seems to be the Winter standard now. No snow on the open sections of road at the moment.

For one brief, giddy moment I thought the Wellington River track might have been reopened as the Track Closed notice is no longer there - but there's no sign of any trackwork having been done. :(
Almost all the riverside campgrounds have been rehabilitated and reopened. The Mount Margaret 4WD track has been reopened (and upgraded, from the looks of it). But do anything to the walking tracks? :roll:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wobbly » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 7:50 pm

Was up Tarli Karn last weekend, walked in from McFarlands Saddle. Wellington river track and Riggels spur are still closed although Parks website says it (Wellington River) is due to open in Nov 09 but we saw no sign of any clearing activity. The lake is very high. Some of the fire place stone rings are under 5 ft of water and there are plenty of trout.
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 6:42 pm

They probably meant November 2109. Frankly in all the time I've been visiting Wonnongatta Moroka I've never seen any sign of recent trackwork. There are tracks - well, what used to be tracks - blocked by trees that went down in the fire before the fire before the last one.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby robtrotter » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 10:53 am

Parks are now saying that the Wellington River track is open.
Access to Tali Karng is now available both from McFarlane Saddle across the Wellington Plains and down Gillios Track or from Tamboritha Road via Wellington River Walking Track, Riggals Spur Track and Echo Point Track. Note that the Clive Lanigan Walking Track through the Valley of Destruction remains closed in the interests of public safety as does the top section of Riggals Spur Track above Echo Point. (See Access re-opening strategy for details).

Anyone been in the area to be able to confirm/deny this?
robtrotter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 6:02 pm

Nope, but I'll likely be up there on Sunday, and if so I'll check it out. It's pretty recent, because it was still closed about three or four weekends back.

I'm not surprised they've wimped out at the upper section of Riggall's. That was choked with massive fallen trees almost side by side for what seemed like miles. One minute per metre country. The bit of the Valley of Destruction I saw didn't seem that bad, but.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 6:48 pm

Interesting.

The track is officially open as described. I only ambled up the first couple of km on Saturday evening., The reason no trackwork has been evident is because sod all has actually been done. Some new markers - orange tape and/or triangles - some fallen trees chainsawed, ditto with a few live branches protruding onto the track. The old marked footpad up the ridge from Platypus camp and around the hillside to join the track a kilometre or so in has had some extra orange tape put up to make the route a little clearer. And that's about it. But it looks like that section at least didn't really need much else.

But take warning - do not cross the river right below the carpark, although there is an arrow telling you to do so, unless you recross just a couple of hundred metres upstream. Stick to the road side of the river until you reach the log book - it's a little scrambly, but much easier than the other side. And it would be a good idea to get in there this summer/autumn, 'cause by next summer I reckon the blackberries will be back as bad as they ever were.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby knee-less » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 8:34 pm

Wow what a great website! Having a look around and I was drawn to posts on Lake Tali Karng area. I visited it for the first time during spring last year and was dissapointed to find I could not use the Wellington River route which was closed at the time. I decided to try from the top and walked in with some friends from McFarlanes Saddle. Great walk over lovely plains and the campsite near Riggals Old Hut site gave us plenty of choices and the opportunity to have a campfire, which we had not expected. The new dunny saved some hole digging! Can't say the desscent to the lake the next day was as pleasant as the walk across the plains. My knees took weeks to forgive me, but the track was good and the glimpses of the lake tempting. The lake was certainly much fuller than the photo on this site. Had a great day there and struggled back up the hill to our camp for the second night. Glad I didn't have a pack on. I'll have to get fitter next time I try this way in! Were going to walk on to Millers Hut and the Sentinels, but were all too burnt out, so had a lazy morning then walked out.

I heard after Christmas that the Wellignton Track was open again and curiousity had me up there again last week. Having not been before I just followed the orange triangles from the trailhead signs. They did take me straight across the river, but it was easy walking on the other side. It did cross back again just before the log book. Just the beginning of lots of river crossing, so wet feet are gong to be the order of the day and definately part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.

Tell you what, its a great walk. I don't know about the complaints about no work being done on the track. There seems to have been clearing done all the way along, its well marked and we even found some patches of very dead blackberries in places, so obviously some work has gone on. Don't get me wrong it was a bit rough and eroded in spots, a few scrabbly bits but hey if I want a cushy walk on a manicured track, I can do that in the city!! This is the bush and it adds to the feeling of wilderness. We had a great campsite at the bottom of Riggals Spur Track. Nice shady spot for a summer camp. Signs said the Valley of Destruction Track is closed, but we were pretty happy with the track up to Echo Point and down to the lake. Gradient was good and again left our packs at camp, so made really good time. The lake was much lower this time, so we walked/scrabbled around to the falls, hard to get good photos, I thought it might be more speccy, but a lovely spot to sit on a warm day.

Anyway maybe it was very different before the fires, but no complaints from this little black duck. I'll be back again in autumn!!
knee-less
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 12:32 pm

Oddly enough I was up there this weekend, too.
Had to work Saturday so didn't get to the carpark until almost 7pm, and then just walked up to Smith Gap and camped there for the night, then out as far as possible along the old route. My only problem was picking up the route eastwards from the crossing below Smith Gap.
The old vehicle track route is passable until some two km due east of Tali Karng. They're working on it, but it's going to be a looooooonnng time until there's a viable route through. The good news is they're planning on having a dunny at the campsite there. The bad news is they seem to be re-routing the track, and it's going to be impossible to keep clear of scrub without regular work - in other words, it'll be 'take your machete' territory within a year of being re-opened.
I actually followed the taped route in as far as I could - wihich wasn't very far, maybe three hundred metres of pushing through increasingly thick scrub, including six foot high bracken, until I lost track of the tape markers.
Next time I have a full weekend I'll walk down from MacFarlane Saddle and try pushing the route down from the lake. Oh, the joys of GPSs with route-planning . . .

ps: Bureaucratese - "The Clive Lanigan Walking Track (Valley of Destruction) is closed in the interests of public safety"
actually means "The Clive Lanigan Walking Track is closed by virtue of no longer existing. We are working on a replacement, which will probably be called "Lasseter's Track" as your chances of getting in there in this lifetime are about the same as finding his (possibly mythical) reef.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phillis » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 7:02 pm

Hey all.
Im really interested in tackling Tali Kahn over the Labour Day Long weekend, first weekend in march. It'll be my 2nd solo hike, after recently completing Mt Feathertop via the Razorback track by myself a few weeks ago. Whats the best route to take?
phillis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 12:27 pm

The easiest and shortest is from MacFarlane Saddle. You can add a little extra distance and interest by going over Spion Kopje - there's a faint footpad that disappears here and there but it's easy enough to follow the route in halfway decent weather. Even with that, it's a shortish day in. Or out. Unless you add a little more with the side trip out to Mt Wellington.
The only way down from the southern end of Spion Kopje is via Gillio's. Do not try the top section of Riggalls unless you want to spend hours scrambling under/over fallen trees.

As we've been discussing, most of the Wellington River Track is open, and access from that to Tali Karng is by the lower section of Riggalls Spur and then the Echo Point track. It's clearly signposted and the tracks are reasonably well marked all the way. Lot of river crossings on that route, although the water level's fairly low at the moment. That track starts from the end of the bitumen road, just past the last bridge over the Wellington River.

ps: get a map. Licola-Wellington 1:50,000 will do.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 11:56 am

Track update:

I may have done Parks a serious misjustice - they've done a lot of work on Riggalls, clearing most of the fallen trees from the top section, though a few more have come down since so some areas will need to be recut. That section is still very very rough, with a lot more work needed to stabilise it, though, and Parks won't open it until they think it's safe - which it won't be while they're there. It's still hard going. Riggalls has always had a reputation as being the hardest way into Tali, and that's well earned.
Clearing some of the weed (mainly ragwort, thistles and brambles) wouldn't hurt, either.

Lanigan's still exists, though it's very overgrown in places (a lot of weed, bracken, and gum and wattle suckers) and some of the rocky section is covered by fallen trees and rocks. At least they've marked it all the way through. Again, it won't be opened until the campground has been sorted, and they're still at the 'where do we put it?' stage. If there's only the one crew working on both tracks, it'll be at least two years before Lanigan's is ready.

That was an exhausting weekend, but the wander around the lake and up to the falls was brilliant. Not often you walk a creek where the flow increases as you go upstream.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earwig » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks for the update Scavanger. Do you know if Gillios Track is open?
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm

Gillios is the only way down from the north. It's been open for yonks.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phillis » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 6:48 pm

Ive found the half-hearted map that Parks Victoria have online. This is what i have planned-

Park at McFarlane Saddle, down the Wellington Plain Track, down Gillios Track, Camp at the lake, then walk out the next morning. Dedicating 2 full days to it. Too much time, not enough? If I've allocated too much time, whats a good summit to climb?

Sound like a good walk for a 2nd solo hike? :mrgreen:
phillis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 7:50 pm

Far too much time, by my standards. Last time I went in by that route I reached Tali Karng in 3 1/2 hours. The climb out takes a bit longer, but still . . .

If the weather's good and you're comfortable with relatively faint footpads, take the route over Spion Kopje - you should have a proper topographical map and a compass, though it's hard to go wrong as long you you stick due south over the ridgeline. Brilliant views in good conditions. One of my top four Victorian peaks.
Spare time at the lake, do a circumnavigation and a scrub bash up the creek at the other side to the falls. Easy and worthwhile.

If you're setting out straight after driving in, fair enough, but if you're spending the night before at the saddle, what I'd do is:
Wellington Plains to new Riggalls Hut Campsite - this is the one just east of the track junction, with all the new signage and the dunny. Set up camp. Down to Tali Karng, good look around, back up to camp, dinner, etc.
Next day, out to Wellington - either as a sidetrip from the camp or as a loop on the return, and back to MacFarlane's.
Staying up the top has the advantage of being allowed to have a campfire if you're a fire sort of person, and it means less impact on the lakeside. Plus the dunny. Plus Wellington and Spion Kopje are closer. So's the Sentinel, if you have a spare day.

Whatever you do, have fun. It's a marvellous little area. But, be warned - if there's bad weather anywhere in the area, it tends to congregate and hang around over Wellington.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phillis » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks scavenger. Your very effecient in the advice you give! Greatly appreciated!

I think i may leave that path for another time. Im still fresh at solo hiking and i dont wanna bite off more than i can chew. Plus, ive got my heart set on staying at the lake :P

I was thinking of taking the track over Spion Kopje either on the way in or out. You say theres not much in the way of actual tracks which is a bit intimidating! Ive got the maps, but my compass skills are a little rusty. Would it be better to take this track on the way in or out?

Regardless of what time i get to the lake, i think ill set up camp then go for a leisurley stroll around the lake and take a few happy snaps.

Edit, ill be leaving melbourne in the moring, 3 hour drive there, so starting to walk about 12PM leaves plenty of time for a stroll around the lake!
phillis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 02 Mar, 2010 12:21 pm

Yeah, gives you plenty of time.

Spion Kopje is easier to do on the way out, probably. You head pretty well due north from the old Hut campsite - there's a star picket just back from the track to mark the start of the route. Then just keep climbing until you're on the ridgeline, which you follow until you're back down into the trees - the footpad at that point is clear enough. If you go off it down there, just keep a compass bearing maybe 10 degrees east of due north, and follow that via the line of least resistance through the scrub until you're back on the main track.

If it's foggy, stick to the Plains route out or over Wellington, which has a 4wd track which goes all the way back to Moroka Road if you miss the turnoff at Moroka Gap.

Have fun.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 4:54 pm

*groan*
You picked the wrong weekend, Phil. It was perfect on Saturday night and most of Sunday. A little cool breeze and some afternoon cloud, but great walking conditions.
Spent Saturday night up on Wellington, on the rise before the Summit. There are some good campsites along that ridge, but I just spent the night in car, with the windows down, staring at the stars and watching the bats hunting. Brilliant.

But if anyone decides to try to get down to TK from the Sentinels, do not, whatever you do, take the route I did. Most of all, do not take my route out and back to Miller's. And give yourself plenty of time.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JimmySeeary » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'd love some advice.......
I haven't done Tali Karng yet, but looking to head up during this Easter School Holiday period.
Thanks for the info you have provided about the tracks up there, access and times.
Just wondering whether you think it is an option for a leadership group of 8 youths that I need to get off the beaten track.
As an Outdoor Ed teacher on a Police assisted education program called Operation Newstart, I am looking for a new hike that is not the Prom, Grampians or Great Ocean Walk. I need remote areas as the key criteria and a circuit is also ideal, is Tali Karng an option??? What do you think???
We are very clean and Minimal Impact is one of our first discussion points with every group, you have my word!!!

Jimbo
JimmySeeary
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 7:31 pm

'Trouble is, Tali's popular. Likely to be a lot of people up there over Easter.
It's also a rather short trip for Easter, even with most of the sidetrips available. Camping at the Lake itself is being discouraged, because of the impact of so many visitors - a group of eight might be difficult to manage down there, no matter how careful you are. And a lot of the routes/areas I've mentioned are either officially closed or off-track.
You can do the top section, from MacFarlane's Saddle, as a track circuit, but that's short enough to be a day walk (if a longish one). Otherwise it's out and back or cross-country.

You might do better heading somewhere like the Bogongs, or more northern parts of Wonnongatta-Moroka. Lot more possibilities up there, especially for circuits.

It all depends on the time you have and the distance you're looking at.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wilko1 » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi,

I'm heading into Tali on Monday the 22nd of Nov with two mates via the Wellington River Track. Anyone been in via this way in recent weeks. I'm wondering what the river level is at the moment.

Mark
Wilko1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 16 May, 2011 6:47 pm

I've not been up there for a few months, so I don't know when this happened, but according to the VicParks website, the Mt Margaret track into Tali Karng is now open.
Now I just have to find the time to get up there and do it. Yippeeeeee.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 9:27 pm

By way of an update re the top bit of Riggall's Spur Track - some 2 years after Riggalls being originally mentioned (above)
Taken last Wednesday [26-10-11] ..

riggalls-top-Parks.jpg
riggalls-top-Parks.jpg (17.59 KiB) Viewed 40836 times
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby inxs » Tue 01 Nov, 2011 12:05 pm

Did the Wellington Traverse on the Melb Cup (2011) weekend.
As Crockle mentioned the Rigall Spur track is signed as closed. I walked that 2 years ago and it was a fine wideish track but Echo Point track was closed so I wonder if they've signed it to prevent people trying to use Echo Point track or whether Rigalls is now messy.
Gillios track has a quite a few large trees down across it which made it interesting with the wet weather and steepness scrambling over them.
Lake Tali Karng is so full up to the treeline that you cannot walk around its banks, you have to scramble around and over trees to get around to the campsites. It's a pity such a popular area doesnt have a decent setup with a pit toilet.
The Clive Lanigan track is clear as its been diverted a bit further south than originally and joins up with a disused 4wd track which involves quite a few hills to walk up and down before reaching the Chromite Track / Wellington River campsite junction. So once down the Valley of Destruction dont expect an easy flat walk along the river.
My GPS tracking shows a similar path to the current SV Tali Karng - Moroka Map and noted that 4wd track as Brady Pinch track.
With the storms and a bit of rain each night the river was flowing considerably but most crossings were knee deep and quite passable. A bit of viewing along the banks of the river and you can usually find a shallow area.
inxs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to Victoria