Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Lake Tali Karng, Victoria.

Postby chops38 » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 8:07 am

Sorry, I should have written Moroka Rd (continuation of Tamboritha Rd) near the intersection of D4 Track, then down into the Moroka via the MacMillans Walking Track. Camped down along the flats and then out via the MVO track up to Doolans Plain Track.
Beautiful area
chops38
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby kilowhiskey » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 11:21 pm

Trip up here went great.
For anyone who's curious we saw the very last patched of snow up there which will all by gone by now, the snow melt did make most of the tracks rather wet as this was where the water tended to sit.
Wellington river was fairly shallow and not flowing too rapidly(30-40cm) easy enough to cross although we ended up going in from mcfarlanes saddle over the plains. Some of the track was fairly overgrown on the approach to Tali and would be difficult to navigate at night.
kilowhiskey
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Borbs » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know if this campsite along the Wellington River track still exists?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Borbs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:07 pm

It's there! Nice little spot with waterhole too, but not a lot of space for a tent and a big tree overhead. There's a couple of nice camps past that one the last being at riggalls tk on the river, if you're heading up to the lake that is.
Attachments
IMG_6536.JPG
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Borbs » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 7:43 am

Many thanks GBW! Picture too! Legend!
Borbs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby phillis86 » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 8:08 pm

any idea how the roads up to macfarlane saddle are? moroko road and the other one from licola way? and the track itself for that matter. im planning on going for a walk up here over the australia day long weekend, wouldnt mind knowning what im in for.
phillis86
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dashandsaph » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 12:43 pm

I was up there 4-6 January and the road is sealed about 20k past Licola and a good road. Then it's gravel all the way to McFarlane Saddle, but a good 2WD road, though once you're off the middle of the road the gravel is heavy, so you need to take it easy. Have a great trip.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:09 pm

I am heading back up to Lake TK next weekend, Feb. 6,7,8,9 2015.
:-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi ,I was just up at the LTK this weekend with two hiking friends. It was just great. We drove up to the campsite number 14 on Friday night . On Sat. morning we drove up to MacFarlane saddle and hiked out across the high plains in summer sunshine. We camped at Nyimba and then went to look at the Lake from the top of the Sentinels. That 4WD track after Miller's hut is rough. The Sentinels are a bit of a hazardous rock scramble near the final summit.
The next day we had a day trip to the Lake via Gillio's track . We went to the Waterfall. There was a spot of bush bashing to get to the waterfall. We had lunch at the Waterfall and went swimming in the lake twice. It was a warm sunny Feb. day .On the last day we hiked back out across the Wellington plains in spooky low cloud and damp , misty cold conditions. What an excellent trip! . We only saw a few people over the 3 days in the area. I capped it all off with a swim at campsite number 11 which has deep water hole on the Wellington river.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1135880762 ... 2384262722
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 15 Feb, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 9:37 pm

I love that walk across the plains in the weather you describe. I've never walked up the Wellington R. track.

It's been feeling and looking decidedly autumnal over the last week, and it sounds like it's also coming early in the high country.

Well timed :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damoprz » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 4:06 pm

I was thinking of going up there this weekend and walking in from MacFarlane saddle via Mt Wellington. I've never driven further than Tamboritha saddle, how bad does the weather have to be for the road to be impassible to a 2WD?
It's been warm lately and is forecast to stay that way so there should be no snow to worry about.

I'd like to walk out via Spion Kopje, how bad is the track at the moment? My friends are not as comfortable bush-bashing as I am so I might give it a miss if it is too rough.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:03 am

Only things that would stop a 2wd are fallen trees, snow and bad driving. It's not a bad road.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Travis22 » Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:33 am

Snow will be the main concern. There are so many people out and about up there that fallen tree's are cleared often even midweek. But theres always exceptions.

Once the snow sets in around the Lost Plain the wheel ruts in the snow quickly get to a depth that most cars will bottom out.

Fortunately there is little snow u there atm so it shouldnt pose any issue for you this weekend.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby damoprz » Tue 23 Jun, 2015 12:51 pm

Great, as long as the forecast is still clear on Friday there will be no snow (there is still little at Buller + Baw Baw) and I'll give it a go. Thanks.

edit: The weekend was perfect, no-one else around. The High pressure system hung around so it was completely clear during the day, cold enough that there was still some of the snow from Thursday, but not as bad as I expected. I still need to buy a new camera.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 08 Aug, 2015 12:49 am

Has anyone snow shoed across the Wellington High Plains in snow season?. That would be hardcore, challenging and remote. Navigation in a white out up there would be the real test!!!It can be iffy in heavy fog .What about talking snow shoes up Gillio's track to Nyimbi campsite via an approach up the 17 river crossings in winter?. The Wellington River could be tricky to cross in winter and early Spring.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Sat 08 Aug, 2015 10:32 am

Snow shoes from McFarlane's Saddle would be fantastic! I was considering heading out there next weekend but have another trip in mind now but we'll see how the weather go's.

(Getting to McFarlane's Saddle would be a job for 'proper' 4x4 vehicles atm as id expect the snow / wheel ruts in the snow around the Lost Plain to be too deep for std cars and AWD cars).

Personally i wouldnt choose to do the Wellington river walking track atm, some of the river crossings would be close to requiring swimming.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby north-north-west » Sat 08 Aug, 2015 3:16 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Has anyone snow shoed across the Wellington High Plains in snow season?.

Yes, and it's really not that bad if you know more or less where the track runs. Keep on the sides of the ridge rather than the valley floors, and mostly near the edge of the treed areas and it's fine. A little more interesting in a whiteout but compass navigation is sufficient with a decent map and commonsense.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 08 Aug, 2015 9:02 pm

Yes, the Wellington river could be diabolical in winter and spring. I am not fan of that route anyway. I really enjoy the Wellington plains, the sentinels, and LTK. What intrigues me about snow shoe trekking routes that I hike every year in green season.
I don't have a serious Tonka toy to get there but I have looked into hiring one for a weekend . I think I would need a Tonka toy 4 WD to also get up to the Bluff in August snow. Brock's road is very rough at present, mud, pools of water, rutted bed rock protruding , and not really very good for 2 WD.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ftroop81 » Sat 29 Aug, 2015 7:57 pm

Gday all Tali karng fans i finally put my video together. Its a laugh at life version of a walk to the lake up the valley of destruction.
It was my second visit to the lake.

Check it out on YouTube search
Funny film tali karng
I hope you enjoy.
ftroop81
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 10:34 pm

Fires and lake side camping are a no no. The ranger can't police it but why ignore the signs? . They are placed at the start of the walking routes requesting walkers to not camp by the lake and definitely not light fires by the lake. There are better designated camp sites that are situated elsewhere in the area.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 11:28 am

ftroop81 wrote:Gday all Tali karng fans i finally put my video together. Its a laugh at life version of a walk to the lake up the valley of destruction.
It was my second visit to the lake.

Check it out on YouTube search
Funny film tali karng
I hope you enjoy.

Surely dogs are not permitted.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 7:00 pm

Dogs and campfires at Tali. Great way to show everyone what not to do.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 7:28 pm

Dogs, campfires and camping at Tali, the trifecta...
Travis22

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:51 pm

Yes dogs, fires and camping at LTK.... a triple whammy of boorish bogan action in the National Parks. and they are loud and proud about it. Sigh..., rolls his eyes. :shock: :roll:
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby benjabimon » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 12:27 pm

Thread revival!!!!!!!

Wishing I hadn't read the last page of this post now.....

Does anyone have any information on where to find Nyimba camp around LTK? I've read it's north of the lake before the track drops down to meet it, but can't seem to see any specific info on where to find it. Doesn't seem to be on any maps that I can find online either, so any help would be hugely appreciated. I have no intention of willfully engaging in any boganish behaviour.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 1:51 pm

I go to Nyimba campsite every Feb. It is super. Just follow the Spatial Vision Tali karng map and you will find it. It makes a good base from whence you can to do a day trip down and back up the Riggall's spur track to the Lake and the waterfalls that feed the lake. Avoid Gillio's track. It is way too steep to be any fun.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 3:28 pm

benjabimon wrote:Thread revival!!!!!!!

Wishing I hadn't read the last page of this post now.....

Does anyone have any information on where to find Nyimba camp around LTK? I've read it's north of the lake before the track drops down to meet it, but can't seem to see any specific info on where to find it. Doesn't seem to be on any maps that I can find online either, so any help would be hugely appreciated. I have no intention of willfully engaging in any boganish behaviour.

Heading there this weekend. Will let you know :D
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby benjabimon » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 8:18 am

Thank you! Just wanting to do the right thing when I go there, which will hopefully be soon as it looks like a great spot to visit.

Just annoying that it is not clearly listed on maps :x
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby damoprz » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:38 pm

The parks vic PDF map shows the camp, where Gillios track meets the track to millers hut http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/313170/Park-note-Alpine-NP-Walks-around-Howitt-Snowy-Range-and-Tali-Karng-.pdf . A spatial vision map of the area is also nice to have, with a lot more detail.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:54 pm

If you walk in over Wellington plains directly to the Rigalls hut site ( the hut isn't there) then you can walk out via Miller's hut and Mt . Wellington 's summit and make a loop with varied high country scenery. It could still snow out there in late spring and I would be prepared for that. Swimming in the Lake in Feb. is pleasant but it would be a case of built in family planning to swim there now :-P. I would avoid crossing the Wellington river full stop in Spring.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Wed 26 Oct, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria