Mt Margaret track to Tali Karng?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Margaret track to Tali Karng?

Postby Drew » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 5:29 pm

Just thinking of some Cup Weekend options and looking at the Tali Karng map. I seem to recall reading a report a few years ago of a trip to Tali Karng on the Mt Margaret track, and have a suspicion that it was either overgrown or just not very interesting.

Anyone know this area? Any good reason to walk that track (other than a shorter drive to the trailhead)? I've done the northern approach to Tali Karng previously, but haven't done the wet feet approach (I suspect my partner might resent all those river crossings, especially in spring).

Ta.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Margaret track to Tali Karng?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 5:44 pm

Don't try the wet feet Wellington River route in spring. The river crossings may be risky or just out of the question.I am not fan of that route. Although I have NOT done the Mt. Margaret route ,
The Mt. Margaret route is said to be way tougher, scrubby and not very scenic compared with the way in from MacFarlane saddle. PV no longer maintain it :-0 .Much of it is in low elevation areas which would be unpleasant to walk through when it is hot.
Have you done the Wellington Plains loop ?.It is a multi nighter with a base camp at Nyimba campsite.
MacFarlane Saddle/ Moroka Gap/ Mt. Wellington/ Miller's hut/ Nyimba campsite/Riggal's spur track/ Lake TK/ Riggal's spur track / Nyimba camp site with an option to visit either The Sentinels or Spion Kopje or Gable's end as a half day walk with a day pack , time permitting and return to Macfarlane saddle over the Wellington Plains.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby GBW » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:13 pm

The river walk is nice and if water levels are OK fairly easy. If the weather good there's some nice swimming spots. You can return via Riggalls Spur track from the lake. Not a heap of views but I still enjoyed it. Worth doing the walk to The Crinoline too while you're up that way.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 8:04 am

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7501

This is from six years ago. Far as I know the track is not being maintained so it it will be more overgrown. But it's a good walk, with some great views. Just be careful of the water level in the Dolodrook.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 9:03 am

This is from six years ago. Far as I know the track is not being maintained so it it will be more overgrown. But it's a good walk, with some great views. Just be careful of the water level in the Dolodrook.

Ah yes, that's what I read - thanks NNW. Probably not that route on this occasion then - "overgrown" can get me in the bad books with my partner...

Worth doing the walk to The Crinoline too while you're up that way.

Yep, I did the Crinoline not that long ago and thought it was a great little walk. Could even do both Crinoline and Tali Karng over a 4 day weekend... Although Crinoline was a pretty decent walk over two days so maybe not.

Have you done the Wellington Plains loop ?.It is a multi nighter with a base camp at Nyimba campsite.
MacFarlane Saddle/ Moroka Gap/ Mt. Wellington/ Miller's hut/ Nyimba campsite/Riggal's spur track/ Lake TK/ Riggal's spur track / Nyimba camp site with an option to visit either The Sentinels or Spion Kopje or Gable's end as a half day walk with a day pack , time permitting and return to Macfarlane saddle over the Wellington Plains.

Thanks PCV. I've been in and out via Wellington Plains with a sidetrip to Mt Wellington, the lake and Spion Kopje. I haven't been to Miller's Hut, Gables End or The Sentinels. Would Miller's Hut or the Wellington Plateau area (around Gables End and Sentinels) be good campsites as a first night alternative to Nyimba, or all likely to have 4WD campers?
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 3:56 pm

Miller's hut might have 4 WD campers. They can be noisy people.
The Sentinels and Gable's end have no water. There is reliable water in N............ creek down past the locked gate from Miller's hut . The hut is nothing special but if it is raining cats and dogs it is a welcome sight and it has a fireplace and chimney. It is rather run down and fungus ridden.The grassy area adjacent to Miller's hut is a nice place and would make for good camping . However you risk some 4 WD campers with slabs of beer and loud music and garbled cries at 3 am of "OOOOH Chooka you threw up in my sleeping bag again ! ".
However Nyimba and Riggal's hut ruins site is not that much further on, a bit of down and then up and you have a better hikers' campsite with a water tank and a pit loo.It makes for a better located base camp from whence to set out upon a Riggal's spur track route past Echo point down to the lake and waterfalls for a day . incl. lunch at the Lake and swimming if the weather is kind.The view on a clear day of the Lake from the top of the Sentinels is totally worth the hike out there.
The weather near Gable's end can be cr*ap. Nyimba is at about 1450 M. ASL rather than approx. 1600 M. and it has some more sheltered spots to put up a tent .
From MacFarlane's saddle you can go directly to Nymiba, set up camp, eat and then take day packs to Miller's hut and onto the Sentinels. It is a long day and we got back to camp at about 7 pm in Feb. , so watch the sun and don't dawdle!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Drew » Sun 29 Oct, 2017 11:39 am

"OOOOH Chooka you threw up in my sleeping bag again ! ".

Yep, definitely best to avoid Chooka and Shazza!
Drew

Return to Victoria