Mt. Stirling Circuit road opening date?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Stirling Circuit road opening date?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi
I am hoping that the Mt. Stirling circuit road will open in time for the Horse race long weekend.I rang DWELP and got nothing from them.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: Mt. Stirling Circuit road opening date?

Postby Xplora » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 3:50 am

Given it is a week away and it is scheduled to open for that weekend any delay would be advised already. Have you checked on the web to see if a delay has been posted? The other place to try is PV Mansfield. Although they may not control this road, it leads to many roads they do have control over and they will have been advised.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 6:45 am

neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks Neil, I found that web page myself but it is useful for others too. I wonder if there will be any big logs on the Bindaree and Speculation roads?. If so then one can only hope somebody else with a 4 WD and a chainsaw will go through there before I do on early on Sat. next week.
I have yet to do my chain saw safety and handling course or obtain a chain saw.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 9:05 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Thanks Neil, I found that web page myself but it is useful for others too. I wonder if there will be any big logs on the Bindaree and Speculation roads?. If so then one can only hope somebody else with a 4 WD and a chainsaw will go through there before I do on early on Sat. next week.
I have yet to do my chain saw safety and handling course or obtain a chain saw.

Before this road is opened they clear fallen trees. It is part of the inspection process given how popular this road is and is likely happening all week. Speak to Fleur at Mansfield Parks office. She is usually up to date with all this stuff. If not there you could ask for Bart and if he doesn't know then nobody does. He is the boss.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 3:47 pm

If the powers that be are clearing the roads up there then I am less apprehensive. By Tuesday ( Cup Day proper) enough 4 WD traffic will have gone down to King hut to clear any subsequent fallen logs , so that completing a car shuttle will be hassle free.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 1:55 pm

All those roads are now open and the convergence and influx of 4 WD users on the road from Melb. to Mansfield on 3/11/17 was noticeable.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 11:39 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:All those roads are now open and the convergence and influx of 4 WD users on the road from Melb. to Mansfield on 3/11/17 was noticeable.

It always amuses me slightly at the convenience of the road closure seasonality with Melb Cup weekend. :)
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 4:27 am

madmacca wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:All those roads are now open and the convergence and influx of 4 WD users on the road from Melb. to Mansfield on 3/11/17 was noticeable.

It always amuses me slightly at the convenience of the road closure seasonality with Melb Cup weekend. :)

Yes. And when, like last year, some did not open for that weekend due to the wet conditions the idiots busted them open.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 5:35 am

One remedy may be to have motion-sensitive cameras near the gates, transmitting to a nearby hidden receiver. That way if the gate-busters chop down the camera tree that will be on disk at another tree, well hidden. After a few prosecutions word would spread. Impounding their vehicle for a few months would hurt, and they pay for a new gate.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 3:50 am

Lophophaps wrote:One remedy may be to have motion-sensitive cameras near the gates, transmitting to a nearby hidden receiver. That way if the gate-busters chop down the camera tree that will be on disk at another tree, well hidden. After a few prosecutions word would spread. Impounding their vehicle for a few months would hurt, and they pay for a new gate.

Cameras are being used on some gates but nothing as fancy as ones with a remote receiver. Each camera needs a court warrant and they are used on gates which are routinely busted. I think this is the first year the gates around BHP/Mt. Wills area have not been busted although someone tried to cut through the gate at Trapyard Gap. Must have run out of battery as it was not cut through. It has a bit of a bend in it now also so they may have tried to snatch it as well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 7:35 am

I suggested a remote recorder as by definition the camera has to be in view of the gate, and miscreants could get to the camera. A remote recorder is much safer and is much less likely to be located, damaged or stolen. Parks Victoria will doubtless be aware of options, subject as always to funding and priorities. Maybe a seasonal mine field would work ...
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Victoria