Vallejo in the rain

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Vallejo in the rain

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 7:41 pm

So, have had annual leave booked for months to finally get away this weekend for a hike. Was planning on doing crosscut saw, mt speculation, wonogatta circuit.

But the weather forecast kept getting worse. I'm loathe to give up the chance to get out of the city (long weekends never happen for me), but clearly stupid to walk on mountain tops when storms predicted.

As a compromise i was thinking just getting to Vallejo hut, bunker down and do some quick day walks if breaks in weather permits.

Is there a risk of the roads washing out with the forecast rain? One is saying 120mm on sat...

I've looked at other locations but same weather seems to be state wide....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Vallejo in the rain

Postby Avatar » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 9:30 pm

I have seen 7 inches of rain forecast for this Friday and Saturday in the Vic Alps.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/MtStirling/6day/top
I have seen the Licola Road blocked for several days after previous big rain events.
Note for those doing the Razorback: Mt Hotham has 8 inches of rain forecast this Friday and Saturday.
Anything can happen.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 5:00 am

ErichFromm wrote:So, have had annual leave booked for months to finally get away this weekend for a hike. Was planning on doing crosscut saw, mt speculation, wonogatta circuit.

But the weather forecast kept getting worse. I'm loathe to give up the chance to get out of the city (long weekends never happen for me), but clearly stupid to walk on mountain tops when storms predicted.

As a compromise i was thinking just getting to Vallejo hut, bunker down and do some quick day walks if breaks in weather permits.

Is there a risk of the roads washing out with the forecast rain? One is saying 120mm on sat...

I've looked at other locations but same weather seems to be state wide....

So this rain event is your fault. Let that be a lesson to you not to take leave again or give us some warning. Seriously though I would have second thoughts in weather like. It will either be very busy in the hut or you will have it to yourself. I suspect the later.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ErichFromm » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 5:18 am

:) I'll take the blame.

I was hoping it would be the latter: after giving up on the walk i was quite looking forward to having hut to myself. Was going to get a new book, and even schlep some canvas out from the carpark I've been trying to hand sew into a tarp. No point if on return i find there is no road left...

Disappointing - how great would it be to see out a storm like that in a hut like vallejo?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 5:49 am

Know that feeling Eric. We had 4 days planned up around Falls Creek.
Way too wet and if the predictions come true floods and land slips are on the cards.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 8:07 am

Stay home and safe. This rain event looks like being something else. As well as road washouts I reckon there's a fair chance of any number of rivers bursting their banks between Howitt Plains and the highway.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 11:40 am

I cancelled my annual leave and came into work today...and now we've all been sent home for fear of weather damage to public transport. Still sucks not to have gone hiking this weekend but clearly staying home best option. I'll be interested to find out what damage there is out mt howitt way after this weekend. What's the best way to find out - parks vic?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 12:36 pm

PV will probably be flat out repairing and opening roads, too busy to check hundreds of kilometres of BW tracks. I suggest keep watching the Victorian forum here and see what people report. There may not be a party up there - or anywhere - for another week, so the first reports may not arrive until 11 December.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks - it's the roads i was referring to. I've seen some photos of previous flood damage around licola so can only imagine what it will be like if storms are as bad as they are saying...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 1:57 pm

Stay away from the Vic Alps this weekend!.Flash flooding is forecasted for NE Victoria in particular. Even if you have a big chainsaw and a monster 4WD truck do not drive up the Howitt road or anywhere else remote this weekend.
I went up to Mt. Speculation on foot on Monday and Tuesday this week and drove in and out via the Circuit road with no dramas. I looked at the weather forecast before I took off. My next hike will be on Sat. week doing battle with the Diamantina spur. I hope it dries out and cools down a bit by then.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 2:03 pm

As it will take a while to assess and repair damaged roads and make them safe, maybe wait until there's definite reports stating that there is access before venturing in the bush. The sealed road to the Wellington River should be okay, although parts have had the surface ripped away by water going underneath. A few deep cuttings have collapsed as well. After the bridge the surface may be slick, making it 4WD. Past Tamboritha Saddle there may be ruts, potholes or both. Trees may have fallen across the road. The gate may be locked. These are conditions that I have seen, and may well be present for a few weeks. Putting back a trip until summer is indicated. You choose the year.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Victoria