King Spur, Mount Koonika conditions?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

King Spur, Mount Koonika conditions?

Postby Bradbeeswax » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:53 pm

Hey Fellow hikers,
I'm planning a 4 day walk from King Hut, Mt Spec and Lake Cobbler, King Hut with maybe a rest day in there somewhere. Just wondering if anybody has been up King Spur lately to Mt Koonika and might be able to give me an insight into the track conditions?
Many thanks in advance
Bradbeeswax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: King Spur, Mount Koonika conditions?

Postby bernieq » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:23 pm

A month ago, King Spur was 'as normal' - it's a footpad rather than a track with sections that are a little scrubby but not particularly thick. The Davesia is starting to thin as the canopy above thickens. Davesia is the broad-leaved tall shrub with yellow flowers. It's OK when dry but a pain after rain. It's also a pain after flowering as bulk pollen makes a great irritant. Then the caterpillars move in and pushing through quickly covers you in green sticky gunk!

Koonika to Spec, and down Muesli Spur, are both an open stroll.

Have you been up King Spur before? There are a couple of navigation challenges.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 3:48 pm

Recent reports from Timbertop school group leaders say that there is rock climbing and bush bashing along the foot pad up King Spur. However a number of school groups have gone through there recently so that the foot pad will be less faint. The track starts where Timbertop school have left a bottle with a note book inside it near the Bridge at the Speculation road near where it joins King Basin Road.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Snowzone » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 1:58 pm

I have done this loop several times in the last couple of years and it is very enjoyable. I usually only take 3 days but if you want to cruise and have a rest day what better place than to take one. :)
I agree with Bernieq's summary and at least the Davesia is soft to push through. Yes it does require some navigation but you'll soon work out if you've gone wrong as it's a fairly distinct spur with a couple of saddles. There is a change of direction to drop down into a deep saddle being the trickiest part. There is a bit of scrambling on the last climb to the top but it's not that challenging. Take plenty of water for the climb.
Snowzone

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 3:43 pm

You're really making me feel my age and infirmity, you know. I did it in two mostly relaxed days (OK, the snake was a bit of a bother, and it took absolutely ages to reach Spec from Koonika, and the treefalls on the roads and tracks were insane), including the Cobbler and Falls sidetrips. One night up on Spoeculation, and what a glorious night it was . . .
The last five years have been very steeply downhill. :(
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bradbeeswax » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 6:39 pm

Hey thanks people for the great advice, that all sounds do-able to me :)
Bernieq - no i haven't hiked up this spur before, but i've been to Spec via The Crosscut - looking forward to getting back there.
And just wondering also if there there any potential bush camping spots between Mt Cobbler and Muesli track turnoff?, just in case the Jack Daniel crew have invaded Lake Cobbler and are starting the Christmas Party early.
Bradbeeswax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 7:40 pm

There is a campsite just off the Cobbler Lake rd, where it turns from west to south - where the the track from Mt Cobbler meets the road. Some maps mark it as a camp. Although it's accessible by 4WD, it's not as popular as the Lake.

There is water from the creek (spring) a short distance to the west, down an obvious foot pad.

The two navigation challenges that I mentioned are :
1. At the 1400m knoll, you need to head east. On the ground, it's easy to continue south then have to retrace. Also, on the map it looks easy to bypass the 1400 knoll and sidle from 1360m to 1400m - he vegetation and terrain makes that not ideal.
2. In the last major saddle (1500m), drop off to the N (left) on a footpad, drop a little then climb a lot into a shallow saddle before the final direct climb to the summit.
BTW: pm me if a gpx is of any use to you.

One other suggestion : from Koonika, I guess you'll head along the ridge towards Mt Spec - it's very enjoyable. Rather than continue all the way to the Spec summit (then have to down-and-back to fetch water), drop off the ridge at the last saddle (1500m), go directly down to the road and walk into Camp Creek for water then up to Spec. It's quicker.

king spur.JPG
nearing Mt Koonika summit, on King Spur - Nov 2017

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby Xplora » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 5:02 am

bernieq wrote:There is a campsite just off the Cobbler Lake rd, where it turns from west to south - where the the track from Mt Cobbler meets the road. Some maps mark it as a camp. Although it's accessible by 4WD, it's not as popular as the Lake.

There is water from the creek (spring) a short distance to the west, down an obvious foot pad.

We have camped there with the car and didn't need water but good to know about the spring. Easy walk on the ridge line from there to Mt. Cobbler.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 6:09 pm

Last month when I was out that way some Timbertop school girls recently also told me there is water nearby at that track junction near where the Mt. Cobbler foot track meets the 4 WD track.The school keeps a bottle with a note pad at that campsite . At that place there is a PV sign pointing to Mt. Cobbler. Timbertop school group use that campsite often.

There is a fire circle there.Mustering Flat has no obvious water source but it has a decent campsite that would get less yobbos than Lake Cobbler does. Lake Cobbler , noisy yobbos, combustion engines, booze etc. it fits together to ruin what is really pleasant spot. One could even cart extra water up to the track junction at the cairn on the Mt. Cobbler foot track. There are a number of good tent sites and evidence of campfires etc there too.That would be 100 % yobbo free. That hike up from the Lake is a stiff ascent.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 9:38 pm

I am looking at going up King Spur in early December 2018 . If not King Spur then Helicopter spur. I will report back.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria