Rubbish left at Camp Valley

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Rubbish left at Camp Valley

Postby Xplora » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 4:37 am

Pic 4 horse camp Nov 2017.JPG
Pic 4 horse camp Nov 2017.JPG (178.59 KiB) Viewed 6322 times

This photo is one of four I was sent by Parks Vic with the view of tracking down those responsible for leaving it behind. The location is the northern end of Camp Valley on Bogong Massive not far from Cleve Cole Hut. It is the place commonly used by horse groups and there is evidence to show a large horse group was responsible. It has been there since before winter and a large tarp placed over the top and secured with ties broke away exposing the rubbish to birds and animals. It may have been their intention to come back for another camp at a later time during this summer. Needless to say their efforts to secure the rubbish were not sufficient and I was told food drops such as this were only allowed to be in place for 6 weeks. I was also told PV are not concerned about bushwalkers food drops in drums or barrels.

PV Mt. Beauty are following some leads but if you have any information about who is responsible then please give them a call. If they cannot find those responsible (or those responsible do not get up there and clean it up) then it will cost a great deal to have it removed by helicopter and there is not enough money in their budget for this. I have offered help to pack what we can out or secure the rubbish until it can be picked up. It has been secured to a point but it really needs to be gone as soon as possible.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Rubbish left at Camp Valley

Postby neilmny » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 7:13 am

Speechless..........well plenty of unprintable words come to mind. :evil: :evil:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 8:16 am

Book'em danno....if you can find them.
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 13 Dec, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 8:32 am

Wow. I have never seen anything like that before. Helicopters release greenhouse gases. Might there be less impact if the non-metal items were burned? The 10 litre tins (they look this big) could house a nice fire. Some containers could be taken to Cleve Cole to either pack them out or to remove them with the next toilet pod trip. Or put a sign - Free to a good home.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 12:08 pm

The toilet pod trip may not happen until April as they are not near full. A bit of effort and some of the rubbish can be compacted on site. Even putting a bulker bag in so the rubbish can be secured and wait for the next helicopter. There is more work to be done re-pointing Cleve Cole and bags for sand are needed to be dropped in. This would have been planned for the toilet change over. The other alternate would be a small army of willing volunteers. Some of the more bulky items could be stored at Cleve Cole if the Bogong Club were asked. They can also be stored under the toilet. A couple of lids would make good toboggans.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigwallclimber » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:38 am

Xplora wrote:The toilet pod trip may not happen until April as they are not near full. A bit of effort and some of the rubbish can be compacted on site. Even putting a bulker bag in so the rubbish can be secured and wait for the next helicopter. There is more work to be done re-pointing Cleve Cole and bags for sand are needed to be dropped in. This would have been planned for the toilet change over. The other alternate would be a small army of willing volunteers. Some of the more bulky items could be stored at Cleve Cole if the Bogong Club were asked. They can also be stored under the toilet. A couple of lids would make good toboggans.

That is total and utter disregard and I have so many expletives I want to say but cannot.

I would put my hand up if there was to be a small Army formed.
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:53 am

Walking the Royal NP near Sydney I noticed a lot of rubbish at campsites that are now no longer "official" campsites. I couldn't help but think that maybe it was a NP strategy to just leave it there. Never seen anything as bad as Camp Valley though.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 7:26 pm

The mongrels! They will rue the day If I by chance apprehend the culprits. They will get some hiking pole proctology!

I will be up there over the Xmas break. I am not sure if our VNPA party can carry anything out since we will be heading for Ropers Hut after CC hut.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria