First overnighter - Crosscut Saw

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: First overnighter - Crosscut Saw

Postby akl168 » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 11:43 am

Rattler,

Sounds like you'll have a busy walking 2018!

I've used a Katydyn filter for years. I always pump/filter my water but I think you'll find a variety of opinions on the forum.

With regards to ditching the stove, even on hot days, I like to stop around lunch/tea time for a coffee. Having grown up in Asia, the 3-in-1 type coffee you find in Asian grocery stores work fine for me.

Although I'm pretty much sick of them, the store bought dehydrated food works well for me, especially since I can eat out of the bag (and not worry about plates, etc). Just boil water and that's it. Since I basically just boil water, my JetBoil has worked fine for me for years. It's quite light and compact.
akl168
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 2:36 pm

Eating a hot cooked meal after slogging it up the Mount Horrible spur ;-P is necessary. As the weather becomes colder you will need hot tea, hot soup and hot noodles/rice/ pasta. Cold food won't do the trick at all.Staying warm, dry, well fed and well hydrated are all part of staying alive and well in the Oz Alps all year round.

I buy rice, orange lentils and dried vegies from the Vietnamese shops and cook it up together in one pot. I add some spices,salt or Indian pickles etc. to add taste. You need water, salt, oil and carbohydrates in a meal to hike. I have muesli and powdered milk made from boiling water at breakfast time. Hot tea is necessary too.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby rattler » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks, the Jetboil looks good (1/3 the weight of my borrowed Trangia).

I like the idea of putting together a meal from dried ingredients too, rather than paying $10+ for the freeze-dried hiking meals.
Last edited by rattler on Wed 17 Jan, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Rileyr » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 7:21 pm

I ditched my expensive jetboil for a $15 bsr stove and $50 toaks 550ml cup. Saved tonnes of weight.

The Jetboil is faster at boiling and uses gas more efficiently. But the bsr with a windshield isnt bad on fuel. Even if it used 2x the fuel it would still be lighter with gas considered

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 8:25 pm

Go to an Indian grocery shop . esp. a Tamil or Sri Lankan owned/ run shop and look for this.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=iy ... ORM=IQFRBA

It comes in a plastic jar . You stir it into boiled rice and it is ready. I add orange lentils and dried anchovie, dried mushrooms, dried onions, dried garlic, dried peas etc. with the rice and boil it up together.It hits the spot!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eddeee » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 7:57 am

Hi, apologies for pulling up an old thread, but I've found this useful for planning an overnight walk from Mt Howitt Car Park to Mt Speculation, and back.

My main query was as to the weather this season over the next few weeks. What should we expect and pack for?
eddeee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 4:04 pm

Edeee, welcome to the forum. Using an old topic is quite okay.

In green season (spring, summer, autumn) expect anything from very hot days to a blizzard. I've had snow at Mac Springs on 26 December, and a few years ago at a similar altitude in Kosciuszko National Park was trapped for a few nights at a hut in snow, very cold, strong wind and raging creeks. Hence, take gear for all of this, which means multiple layers, light thermal gloves, a beanie or balaclava, and clothing that protects from the sun.

My main concern is water. With climate change, higher water sources are proving less reliable. Mac Springs has never had a big flow, so you may have to carry water from the car park. Someone who has been there in the least few weeks can advise on that point. Spec has good water, either halfway down from the shoulder campsite or at the road. If the weather is fine, camp on the summit of Spec, down a little from the edge, out of the wind. It will take most of an hour return to get water from there, but it saves carrying full packs down and then up. Another option is a dry camp on Buggery, more exposed. Allow 3-4 hours return to get water at Spec.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby eddeee » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 5:21 pm

Evening, thanks for the response. We will prep for the colder weather, thanks.

With regards to water, we were planning on taking 2.5l each, missing Mac Springs and hoping for water at Mt Spec. We pack light, with about 10-11kg each, including water.

Are you able to confirm if the following (blue dot) spring location is the water source at Mt Spec? This is the campsite we will aim for, I believe the creek is called 'Camp Creek', but I can't find this on either of my topo maps.
57726DC6-9A7D-49BA-8E28-A0DEE9B003CC.jpeg
57726DC6-9A7D-49BA-8E28-A0DEE9B003CC.jpeg (212.3 KiB) Viewed 8974 times
eddeee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 8:01 pm

It will take most of a day to get to Spec. If it's hot or if you have to camp earlier then you will need more water. Consider taking around 4 litres. It's pretty flat until you leave Mac Springs on Howitt, and after that the Crosscut bumps, Buggery and Spec provide interest of the upward kind.

Last time I was there the road had no decent camping, just dirt and no views. The most popular spot is east of the junction, the yellow circle. If the weather is fine, camp on the summit, good sunset and sunrise pics. There are very limited campsites on the Crosscut, just Buggery.

The yellow track that goes east of north from the Spec shoulder junction is not used by many - it's very steep, red circle. Water is at the road and halfway down the creek, blue arrows. The latter is hard to find. This is Camp Creek, on the top of the map as amp Creek. There may be a Volt River somewhere. The track from the car park goes within maybe 10 metres of the Mac Springs hut and within a few metres of the water.

Spec.png
Speculation water, tracks and campsites
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 15 Jan, 2021 10:50 am

There is guaranteed water on the North side of the Stanley name spur track , 85 m. from the obvious saddle campsite , 1km or so down, West from the crest of the Cross Cut saw. The foot pad is quite easy to make out too.We camped there in Nov. 2020 and walked up past it in March 2020. It was flowing
well on both trips. The descent is rocky and steep and not for newbies unless you are comfortable with the risk.
Camping on Top of Mt. Spec. is great in clear weather.
Further down towards the junction with the 4 WD track near the Camp Creek water source there are some good sheltered camp sites. I have also camped at the area used by 4 x 4 enthusiasts at the end of the Speculation road/track.
I have seen people camp on the Cross cut saw at the Stanely Name spur track junction. Timbertop school leaves a log book in a bottle at that spot , which is a grassy glade which is quite exposed but very scenic.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 15 Jan, 2021 3:28 pm

The Stanleys Name Spur campsite is about 400 vertical metres below the ridge, at least two hours return. In that time, north-bound from the SNS-Crosscut track junction a person would be climbing the lower slopes of Spec, arriving at Camp Creek within two hours from that point, if not sooner. South-bound from the junction would see them in Mac Springs. The end of the Spec road is past Catherine Pass. There's a gate on the east side of Camp Creek, just north of where the track from the summit reaches the road.

The shoulder campsite is preferred: flat, extensive, reasonably sheltered, good views, less climbing the next day. The downside is that water must be obtained, perhaps from the road, 40-50 minutes return. At least this will not be with full packs. The same reasoning applies to camping on the summit: a significant side-trip for water but this is not done with full packs, and the day starts with a descent. Summit to road is about 110 metres down and 1.1 kilometres distance, maybe 90 minutes return to get water.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 15 Jan, 2021 3:33 pm

Yes the reliable water on Stanley name spur is a
major detour and is not recommended unless you plan to camp down there, really.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Victoria