Mt clear walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt clear walk

Postby Matt08 » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 9:37 am

Hi There,
I was thinking of doing a walk up to square top, the cone and mount clear soon and was wondering about how best to get to the start of the walking tracks.
I have seen where people have parked at clear creek off brocks road along the Jamieson river. I'm wondering, there are 2 4 wd tracks there, mount clear track and clear creek road. Are these tracks open? Can you drive up them at all?

The other one was has anyone driven on blue plains spur track from Macalister river end where it meets grimme creek track. Is that road up reasonably ok? I have a VW Amarock.

Any help be most appreciated!

Ta
Matt08
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt clear walk

Postby eggs » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 1:28 pm

They were doing road repairs along the Jamieson River in late Nov.
The Brocks Road and Clear Creek roads were cleared and repaired through to the base of the Nobs track.
Given that coming down the Nobs Track road was the hardest part of my walk - there is no way a 2WD will go any further than this.
I did not check out the Mt Clear Track, but I believe it is only really a walking track now.
Last edited by eggs on Mon 08 Jan, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby bigkev » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi Matt,
As Eggs said Nobs Track dropping down to The Jamieson is seriously steep, and the last time I walked down it around 8 months ago it was also very eroded towards the bottom. Assuming that the almost metre deep erosion channels are still there I wouldn't go anywhere near it in a standard 4wd. If you are thinking of a there and back type walk then take Brocks Road to the Saddle below King Billy No.2, Mt Clear is doable as a day walk from there but any further along towards The Nobs would probably mean an overnight walk.

I haven't climbed up from the Macalister side so it could be possible, stay off Son of a *&%$#! Spur though as I've been reliably told that it's aptly named.

Mt Clear Track is a walking track nowadays.

I was up there a few months ago doing the AAWT, here's a link to the most relevant section for you :- http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... lpine.html

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Matt08 » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi Eggs and big Kev,
Thanks for your information. Most appreciative.
Looks like a great walk you went on big Kev in your blog great pictures! Thanks for sharing
Cheers Matt
Matt08
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria