Heathy Spur to Mt Bogong and on to Bogong Village

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Heathy Spur to Mt Bogong and on to Bogong Village

Postby OG1 » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 10:29 am

Hi,
I will be hiking from Heathy Spur, Falls Creek through to Bogong Village via Mt Bogong. First night at Ropers Hut, the second night at Cleve Cole Memorial Hut. Does anyone have any general advise or recommendations with this hike. I'm particularly interested in information on the condition of Black Possum Spur track. I've heard it may be overgrown and difficult to find.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Heathy Spur to Mt Bogong and on to Bogong Village

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 3:45 pm

There's a thread at
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25535&p=341181#p341181
that discusses the Arthur route. There may be more recent advice.

The route is pretty straightforward. Apart from Black Possum Spur, one issue is Big River at T Spur, might be in flood, not probable. You will need a reasonably early start to get to Ropers. It's not far or much climbing, but will take most of a day. Ropers to Cleve Cole takes 6-8 hours, depending on party fitness. Mount Arthur has no water. Cleve Cole Hut to Bogong Village may be too far in one day if you hit regrowth.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 5:23 pm

The trek from Roper's Hut to CC hut is a ball breaker/ Ovary crusher. The 750 Vertical metre descent down Duane spur is enough for some people's knees to complain but wait , you have ascend another 750 Vertical metres via the T for torture Spur.
There is water in a stream at the top of the T spur. We all ran out of drinking water ascending the T spur when we did this route . If it is hot and humid then you will be feeling it.Take re hydration salts and use them liberally.
Start early from Roper's hut and allow an hour for lunch/rest/ recovery at the bottom of the T spur. Once you cross the Big River at the ' hold onto the chain '
type crossing there is a small camp site on the T spur side. That is a good place for lunch and a rest. Watch out for Leeches!. Take a salt shaker.Take neoprene reef shoes/ crocks/ wet suit booties for the river crossing.
From CC hut to Bogong village would be a L O N G day esp. if you chose to do battle with the Grey Hills and the Spion Kopje fire trail.
Lawdy mama :-0 , that would be a nutcracker. You would have get up before dawn and be walking at day break to do that and be really bleeding fit.
I would aim for a descent via the Quartz Ridge and camp at Bogong Creek Saddle.However if you elect to push on from there then the Big River Fire trail heading towards Mt. Beauty is downhill, sheltered and easy to follow. You should find water along the way which is desirable, especially if it is a hot day.
If you follow the route that goes along the aquaduct / tram line you should end up at Clover Dam/ The Clover Arboretum . That is a good place to leave a car if you are doing a car shuffle.
If in doubt avoid Mt. Arthur.There is no water on top of Mt. Arthur. The ascent / descent from the Mt. Arthur summit via the Grey Hills track to/ from Bogong Creek saddle is very steep and sections of it are scrub bashes with no clear route at all. Other sections such as the last 1 km between Bogong Creek Saddle and higher up the track have been cut and cleared.
If it has rained a lot the night before the Big River Crossing at the T spur then you could be in for an interesting experience.The same can be said for fording the Rocky Valley Creek near Bogong Village/Howman's Gap after a heavy overnight downpour .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 7:27 pm

PCV, I love your description of the walk. I agree with the main points.

My summer start time is first light, which is 6-6.30am. This beats the heat. Duane is steep in places for too long, took me 2.5 hours. About 30 minutes to cross the river, taking boots on and off. For just one crossing I can manage barefoot, although river crossing footwear would be nice. If you leave Ropers by 7am you should be at at the foot of T Spur by about 10am. I'd have a short break here, not letting the body cool down too much. Then plod upwards. It took me about three hours to get from here to the creek near the Maddisons Hut site at the top of T Spur. This is just under the time for Diamantina Spur, but so much easier. So about six hours to the creek, and 90 minutes to Cleve Cole Hut, including a side-trip to Howmans Falls. Eight hours for the day - start at 7am, in camp by 3pm.

The next day is long if going to Bogong Village, too long in my view.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 8:55 pm

If you complete the Roper's hut to CC hut leg then the next day you still may be tired and emotional despite having had a night's sleep to distance yourself from such suffering and inflicting such a long day on one's self following such a slog of a day might be the hair that breaks the camel's back or some such cliche`.
If you are descending the Quartz Ridge keep in mind that when you finally reach the bottom you will NOT feel like going up Mt. Arthur ,Especially if the weather has turned to horse poo.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 9:04 pm

At the summit of Mt. Arthur there is a treated pine snow pole. This marks the track intersection with the Grey Hills Track and the Mt. Arthur walking track / Black Possum Spur route. After that I don't know what the descent down the Black Possum spur is like.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sat 03 Feb, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:48 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The trek from Roper's Hut to CC hut is a ball breaker/ Ovary crusher. The 750 Vertical metre descent down Duane spur is enough for some people's knees to complain but wait , you have ascend another 750 Vertical metres via the T for torture Spur.

I would not go as far to say this but it is steep. You are walking in the mountains. I have taken some less than fit people from CC to Edmondson's hut in a day with a late start and diversion to Howman Falls. They were tired at the end of the day and it was long but none were emotionally or physically exhausted. PCV carries a very heavy pack so his experience may be harder. I would suggest this trip would not be as enjoyable if you are not mountain fit and carry heavy.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: I would aim for a descent via the Quartz Ridge and camp at Bogong Creek Saddle.

That would be around mid morning or maybe early lunch to set camp. An hour to the summit from CC and then 3 to the saddle give or take.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:However if you elect to push on from there then the Big River Fire trail heading towards Mt. Beauty is downhill, sheltered and easy to follow. You should find water along the way which is desirable, especially if it is a hot day.
If you follow the route that goes along the aquaduct / tram line you should end up at Clover Dam/ The Clover Arboretum . That is a good place to leave a car if you are doing a car shuffle.

This is a viable alternate route but there are some roads which may have restricted access. I can't remember which but have a feeling it is this aqueduct. Continuing down the fire trail you can end up at BHP road (Roper Spur below Bogong village) after crossing the river or going further to Mt. Beauty.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If in doubt avoid Mt. Arthur.There is no water on top of Mt. Arthur. The ascent / descent from the Mt. Arthur summit via the Grey Hills track to/ from Bogong Creek saddle is very steep and sections of it are scrub bashes with no clear route at all. Other sections such as the last 1 km between Bogong Creek Saddle and higher up the track have been cut and cleared.

Yes it is steep but not as far as T spur. I did not find any scrub bashing and the route is clear enough to follow to Mt. Arthur. It may not be as clear as other tracks but if you find yourself seriously scrub bashing then you are likely off the main track. Filling up at the saddle should get you up the hill and down to Bogong if you take the Black Possum spur. I have no recent information about this track. It could end up a long day but plan for that and leave early. Would love to get a report about it.
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If it has rained a lot the night before the Big River Crossing at the T spur then you could be in for an interesting experience.The same can be said for fording the Rocky Valley Creek near Bogong Village/Howman's Gap after a heavy overnight downpour .

This time of year the river will rise quickly after a storm but it will also drop quickly and by that I mean a couple of hours to rise and then another couple to fall. The same will go for Rocky Valley Creek. There is no snow melt to sustain it and as the crossing is near the source there is less flow into it. The closest river guage is Joker http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml and although it does not give a true reading of Big River T spur crossing, if it is a sustained 1.5m at Joker then take care and if at 2m (again sustained) do not cross. This is usually only a problem during spring.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 2:58 pm

The Tramway ( owned by AGL) is open to bush walkers. It runs side by side with the aquaduct. The gate is locked at Bogong Creek railhead over the road from Clover arboretum. You can walk along here but not drive it.The gradient is humane.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby OG1 » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 4:15 pm

Many thanks PCV, Lophophaps and Xplora. Really useful information. My hike fitness is fine, though i do tend to carry on the heavy side. I will certainly re think the fitness level of my accomplices though - best if everyone attending returns with unbroken/uncrushed organs. Late Feb is the intended time frame and I will add some comments once its done.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:44 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Tramway ( owned by AGL) is open to bush walkers. It runs side by side with the aquaduct. The gate is locked at Bogong Creek railhead over the road from Clover arboretum. You can walk along here but not drive it.The gradient is humane.

Just checked the map and it reads no public access. That was what I recall from the sign on the track. AGL may allow walkers but without some confirmation from them I would say it is off limits to unauthorised people. You can't drive to the start of that track unless authorised so not a lot of point restricting vehicles from that point which should not be there anyway. What PCV says could be right (in that they will allow walkers) but I would heed the sign without the name of a person giving permission. Hearsay or permission from a forum may not count for much unless more accurate information can be provided.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 7:03 pm

I parked at the Arboretum near Clover Dam and walked a portion of the tramway From the Bogong Creek rail head gate.I can't see how I was causing harm to any property or other living things. Some rules are regulations that are there for a good reason. Others are just to clutter up the cosmos, man.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 7:57 pm

Xplorer's hearsay comment has merit. It would be good to get something in writing from AGL about bushwalkers on their closed tracks. A person walking through a region such as this and not camping, leaving no trace, seems to me of minimal import. This is miles away from drunk bogans that cause damage.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 4:32 am

There is another thread from around 2 years ago where people have walked this track and they noted the signs everywhere prohibiting it. There may or may not be a problem walking the track but then it gets posted on a forum and more people do it or tell others about it and all of a sudden AGL start taking notice. Someone falls foul and quotes hearsay permission from a bushwalking forum. If people want to do it then that is up to them but they should keep it to themselves and not encourage others. I am sure most of us are responsible and would not leave any trace but there may be other issues for AGL and one in particular is public liability. I agree with Lops that we should have some confirmation from AGL to clarify or we just keep it off the books. Refer forum rule 26 then Disclaimer paragraph 3.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby OG1 » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 6:46 am

Lophophaps wrote:There's a thread at
http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 81#p341181
that discusses the Arthur route. There may be more recent advice.

The route is pretty straightforward. Apart from Black Possum Spur, one issue is Big River at T Spur, might be in flood, not probable. You will need a reasonably early start to get to Ropers. It's not far or much climbing, but will take most of a day. Ropers to Cleve Cole takes 6-8 hours, depending on party fitness. Mount Arthur has no water. Cleve Cole Hut to Bogong Village may be too far in one day if you hit regrowth.

Hi Lophophaps. May i ask what it is with the section between Heathy Spur and Ropers Hut that will take so long to walk? I had tagged it as the shorter and easier part of the hike, but I may be missing something.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 9:39 am

It can be done reasonably quickly. The distance is about 10 kilometres, climbing about 400 metres, good tracks all the way. However, I have seen people camp the night before well back from Mount Beauty, start walking at 10am, do a few side-trips, and reach Ropers at 5pm. One party started at Falls Creek at about noon, only got to Johnston Hut. It did not assist that one party member was on his first trip, had not much for breakfast, missed lunch and it was a raging blizzard. If the weather is rubbish on any exposed places like the Nelses or Bogong, progress will be slow if not impossible.

Alternatively, if the party is quick then it is possible to go further. I got from Marm Point to Big River by noon. This is a similar distance to your Heathy route, so one option is to have an early start, Big River for lunch, and then go up T Spur. Camp at the creek or push on to Cleve Cole. Given that the current third day is hard, you could go CCH or nearby to the helipad, and then have a lot more time for the third day. The camping at Big River is fine but there are very limited toileting areas. It's a nice climb out of Big River up T Spur, just keep plodding.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby OG1 » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks Lophophaps... Taking the pressure off day 3 seems a sensible approach. I have one in the group who is a little slower on the hills, so I think i'll revise day 3.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 5:48 pm

As a general rule I like to get the hard parts over first, or be a bit further down the track than planned. I get the hairy river crossing over or walk a bit long early in the trip. For example, on a Ropers-Duane Spur-Cleve Cole-Quartz Ridge-Nelse trip do it this way rather than the reverse so that if there's a delay at Big River due to high water there's time to recover. Being faced with a raging river on the last day a short distance from the end is not to my liking. Also, by starting early each day it means that there can be a bludge at camp. I'm into sloth. My personal best is reaching camp at ... 10.40am. The next eight hours were mainly dry, just one creek 30 minutes further on, so I stopped. The day before I reached camp at 11.10am, just in time to hide in the hut from a massive hail storm. Two punters heading out were not so lucky - they got hailed on.

If you get going early on the first day it should be possible to get to Big River for lunch. Then four hours for a slow person to the creek at the top of T Spur, camp, or keep going to CC Hut. A light cattle prod works for slow people.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 8:21 pm

I won't mention routes that are prohibited by AGL again.
The OP should keep in mind a loop can be walked and return to the Car at Rocky Valley Dam.
It would go like this:
Watchbed Creek/Edmondson's hut /Roper's Hut/ Duane Spur/Big River/ T Spur/ CC Hut/ Summit/ Quartz Ridge/ Bogong Creek Saddle/ Big River/ Timm's spur/ Roper's Hut/ Edmondson's Hut/ Rocky Valley Dam.
Timm's spur is scenic and not as torturous as the T spur track is.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby OG1 » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 6:06 am

Haha, wonder if solar powered cattle prods are available - just to keep weight down... Starting early does keep the days options open.
I thought the AGL conversation was interesting. I support the idea that signs are there for a reason and everyone ELSE should abide by them (joking of course).
I hadn't considered Timm's Spur, but think that it is a good suggestion. I'm curious to do the section to Bogong Village, but I'll leave it to another time.
The plan now is as per PCV suggestion. First night at CC Hut, the second at Ropers.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 7:43 am

Mm, solar power ... interesting idea. Maybe Parks Victoria could have charging points. Escalators would save a lot of effort, make it much easier, and for going down, a zip line.

PCV's route has merit. This is a good three day trip, with the harder days at the start and an easier mainly downhill and flat last day. If the weather is fine there's a stunning campsite at the top of a feeder creek to Whiterock Falls. I don't have a map with me, so this is from memory. As the 4WD flatten out at the top of Timms Spur, on the right (south?) is the Whiterock Falls system, three or so creeks. Go down a short way into the first creek. This is slightly shorter than going to Ropers that day, and slightly longer the next day, but you don't have to climb out of Ropers to get to the main pole line. The views are much nicer from this campsite than Ropers. If you want something more exposed, camp just below Warby corner. Water is down a way, but there's very good views in nearly all directions.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 8:37 am

Rocky Valley Dam to CC hut in one day is a H U G E Day. I would probably aim for the tiny campsite on the bottom of the T spur if you are not going to camp at Roper's hut on day one.Roper's Hut campsite is superb.
I like to have a few hours to set up and rest at the campsite before it is time to cook dinner. I have walked the whole of the Howman's Gap to Howman's Gap circuit in 2 nights and 3 days. That involved walking from 8 am until 6 or 7 pm in early January 2017 . That afforded no time to rest and enjoy the ambiance of the campsites. By day three my knees and feet were complaining on the descent down road 24 back to the car at Howman's Gap.
:-0.
Camp sites can be found at the Bottom of Timm's Spur next to Big River.Watch out for leeches near the rivers and streams. Bogong Creek Saddle has an exposed campsite( it can be very windy there) which offers really flat and grassy tent sites with excellent drinking water close by at the bottom of the Quartz Ridge track, next to the intentions book.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 9:40 am

See the pics.
Ropers Hut at 9.17am, not sure if this was when I arrived or departed.
Big River from the T Spur side 11.51am.
These time stamps may show on the pics, not sure. I have no pic of the departure from Marms Point, or any pics until Ropers. i just realised that I started walking before a party would start at Heathy Spur or Watchbed Creek, so it's likely that on the first day a party would reach Big River at about 1pm. If you camp on the high plains on the first night, at the cars, you will get away earlier.

Ropers hut.JPG

Big River.JPG

I don't have a pic of the start time at Big River to climb T Spur, but it was about three hours. So if the party gets to Big River at about 1pm, lunch, then the top of T Spur is reached at about 5pm. It is a long day but T Spur is not that hard.

I now have a map to hand. Just below the road above where a creek goes nearly south to Whiterock Creek is the campsite I mentioned, 275266. A kilometre or so past here the road swings from SE to south. At this point it is possible to cut the corner and go SE to the Ropers pole line, hitting it at about pole 920.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 12:15 pm

If you cut the corner along Timm's Spur and make a bee line for Roper's hut you will find it slow and wet. There are alpine tarns, pools and bogs in that hollow between the Big River Fire Track as it emerges from Timm's Spur and the treeline and the Roper's Hut snow pole line.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:02 pm

Interesting. I've cut the corner a few times and found it okay. Maybe there's an element of luck or seasonality. I cut fairly high, not a straight line.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 6:32 am

Got some information yesterday (second hand) via Parks at Mt. Beauty. Black Possum spur track is good and open to Bogong Village. My friend was thinking of doing in a couple of weeks but that is not definite. He thinks it would be the best and quickest way to Bogong village.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby eggs » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 9:57 am

Regarding the short cut to Ropers across the swamp, I did that and put up a few shots in a trip report.
It was not too hard to work through without getting wet feet, but that may be a function of how dry it gets.
My goal was to observe where the pinch point was. The upper valley is very broad with lots of pools, but there is a narrower section on the lower northern side which is where I was aiming.

see http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22639&p=293805&hilit=short+cut+across+the+swamp#p293805
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 6:22 pm

In white season up there , navigating in straight lines and short cuts is easier in clear and settled conditions.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby OG1 » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:32 am

I really appreciate all of the comments and advice... I'm having to push the dated forward a bit - seems I forgot about a family wedding. Early March in the timing now. I'll post a report when I finish.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby OG1 » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 5:27 pm

Well we got the hike done over the long weekend (March 10, 11 and 12). Was an awesome hike and i thank everyone for their contribution. We camped at Langford West Campground of the Bogong High Plains road on the Friday night, which allowed us the early start Saturday morning. The colours along Heathy Spur track and the view back over Rocky Valley Storage were well worth the early start. We did the short detours and got some great photos from Mt Nelse and Mt Nelse North. Between Mt Nelse North and Ropers Hut we spotted 4 baby brown snakes on the track - no big ones to report though. We were making good time and arrived at Ropers hut for morning tea, and a bit of an explore... nice creek with a small waterfall below the hut.

Thankfully we did start early as my daughter broke a toe on the way down Duane Spur. This slowed the progress significantly and meant it was a much later than expected lunch and stop at the Big River crossing. The climb up T Spur was tough in the heat of the day and with now a toe and knee injury, very slow going. No balls or ovaries were lost in the ascent though we were well glad to make Maddisons Hut ruins in time to set up camp and have dinner before dark. Much of the conversation was around whether to exit via the Staircase and see if we could hitch a ride or continuing on the intended journey. The original plan was to camp at Cleve Cole Memorial Hut, though i suspect a very messy mutiny would have prevailed even at the suggestion. It was a nice camp site and the stream was very welcoming. Apart from the absence of a toilet, i think i actually preferred this camp site to staying at Cleve Cole. Had we arrived at the expected time it would have been nice to spend the afternoon at Howman Falls.

The decision on Sunday morning was to proceed to Bogong summit and decide what way we would go from there... We expected phone reception (which proved correct) once we made the summit, so we could arrange for a family member to come and rescue us at the bottom of The Staircase if that was what was decided.
My daughter continued on to Cleve Cole Hut while i had a look at Howman Falls - well worth the little detour i thought. It had been a fairly late start, so morning tea was had at the hut. Injuries considered we made fairly good time getting to the summit... and the views were absolutely amazing... Although I must say they were sensational for the majority of the hike. A very enthusiastic recommendation for anyone considering the same journey - so long as your fitness, equipment and abilities are up to the task.
My daughter decided to stick with the original plan so we took some photos, had a snack and soaked in the beauty of the panorama, then set off down Quartz Ridge. We found a shady spot half way down and enjoyed our lunch and a moment with the boots off. We decided the injuries had been sufficiently tested by the time we crossed Big River at the bottom of the Big River Fire Trail (below Timms Spur), so made this our camp site for the night. It was a really nice camp right beside the river and we were there early enough to enjoy a dip in the river while the day was still warm.

Monday morning we set out early and enjoyed the occasional glimpse through light fog at the high points that sat above the fog and were immersed in full sunlight. The walk up Big River Fire Trail was quite humane and we made good time, once again breaking onto the High Plains and the amazing views. We made a mental note of what we thought was the exit point to the recommended camp spot above Whiterock Falls. We would have liked to have camped there, but circumstances being as they were our modified plans worked well. The intended side trips to Batty Hut ruins, Edmonson and Johnston Hut were earmarked for another day - again the threat of mutiny was in the air. In reality, my daughter did an amazing job with her injuries and we arrived back at the Rocky Valley Storage at 1:30pm... unfortunately just a fraction late to get any lunch at Falls Creek. A swim in the dam and a change of clothes then saw us back in the car and homeward bound.

A hike i would highly recommend and thoroughly enjoyed. Again thanks to those who helped with information while i was planning this... Next up is the Southern section of Wilsons Promontory.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 6:04 pm

Your daughter did well to finish. One option was to reverse the route to Ropers rather than progress deeper into more remote country. The campsite at the top of T Spur is rather pleasant. The Prom will be much easier and probably more crowded.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Next

Return to Victoria