Tom Kneen Track at Mt Feathertop

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tom Kneen Track at Mt Feathertop

Postby janhvic » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 8:06 pm

Has anyone been on the Tom Kneen Track lately?
janhvic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tom Kneen Track at Mt Feathertop

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 7:46 am

I have not been on this track recently, but it's been there for about 50 years (if not named until the mid-1980s after Tom died on Feathertop) so I expect the track to be okay. This has the closest natural reliable water to Federation Hut.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby janhvic » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks Lophohaps. I just wonder what this track would look like these days as I haven't found any one been on it in the last few years.
janhvic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:36 am

Maybe search under North West spur. There have been reports on that recently or at least last year. The bridge at the creek was still out but a log was available to cross. I am not sure what information you require but it is long and steep. The track is easy enough to follow but some navigation may be required from the carpark at the trout farm to the start of the spur as the that part may be more indistinct.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 7:52 am

See https://www.mumc.org.au/history
"1965–1966: Mt. Feathertop Hut construction begins during the summer. Funds are raised through donations, raffles and functions. Final cost of the hut is £2,480. Establishment of the Mt. Feathertop Hut enables the Empress Track to be cleared around July 1965: Empress Track is named after Empress Hut, where Hatt and Judge last stayed before their deaths. The upper section of the Empress Track later becomes known as the Tom Kneen Track and the lower half becomes North West Spur track; however, the latter appellation is commonly applied to the entire route to the MUMC Hut."

So it seems that the Tom Kneen Track is from MUMC Hut to the junction on Feathertop, and NW Spur Track is below MUMC Hut.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:24 am

This is the trip report I was thinking of
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26520
Not sure whether the sign is referring to the NW spur as the Tom Keen track or as Lops says the name changes. No matter anyway. Hope it helps.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 12:20 pm

I walked down it a few years ago. It was very steep and the track was not 100 % obvious in some sections.I wasn't using walking poles back then so my legs were just cactus for days afterwards. I was hobbling!
Just stay on top of the spur and you will be OK.I don't remember any dramas with creek crossings at the bottom. It was a tough way to descend Mt. FT. . I might go up it this May/ early June before the snows set in.
You would not want to ascend this route when the weather is hot.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby janhvic » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 8:39 pm

Thank you very much everyone! I am keen to check out this track when the weather is cooler.
janhvic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria