North Razorback track condition

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

North Razorback track condition

Postby Diamir » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:51 pm

Has anyone been up to here to Stoney Top recently ? Wondering what the condition of the trail and road are like. Trees ? Would my trusty old subaru wagon get through ?

Cheers.
Diamir
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: North Razorback track condition

Postby Xplora » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:47 am

Jump over to the ski forum and search. PCV will also have some updated information. There was a trip report on the ski forum last year and the track was good. The subaru may have problems with water crossings but I believe it will get to the seasonal closure gate. Trees come down all the time but it had been cleared recently. Driving into these tracks without a chainsaw is a personal risk. You could get in but then be blocked from getting out.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 12:38 pm

I went up to the seasonal closure gate in December 2017 in My RAV4. My RAV 4 is an older 2003 model with higher clearance . High Clearance is the key to driving this rough old track.
It is steep and
there is nowhere to turn around once you commit to driving the last 8 kms up to the seasonal closure gate.The turning circle there is a welcome sight.

Early on , there is a creek you must ford. Get out and walk it first if you have any apprehensions about driving your car through a creek crossing.The first time I tried to drive through it in Dec. 2017 I saw that it was flowing much too quickly and it was too deep.
The weather has been drying the area out so you should be OK. Just put the car into low gear and drive slowly and steadily through Snowy Creek. The actual Stony Tops track is rough, steep and narrow.
Once you reach the two ways take the left hand turn. Keep driving up and watch out for loose rocks, rain wash out gullies and fallen branches. I am not going up there again until I pay off my lay buy chain saw and accessories. If a tree falls down especially on the return journey then you will be stuck and stuffed, unless you can chainsaw your way out.
At the seasonal gate along a side track there is a campsite where you will find picnic tables but no water.
You could BYO water , set up a base camp there and then walk the last 7 kms to the top. The track from the gate onwards is Monster 4 WD material.
The drive back down was a sphincter clenching contest. Use a low gear and pick the right line, concentrate! . Keep the speed very low on the descent. It is steep and there are sections of the track where a mistake or lapse of attention could be scary and unpleasant.
Allow one hour to get from The Old Germantown Bridge to the seasonal closure gate.Do not try this in a Subaru or other kind of SUV if it has rained a lot the night before. Bits of the track are clay and would be slippery unless you have ALL TERRAIN tyres.
That said ,I noticed that DSE/ DWELP had recently ( Dec. 2017 )sent the bulldozer through that route and they had cleared the track on both sides as a fire break.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Diamir » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks folks. I know about the creek crossing as I've been up there before, but it started pouring about five minutes past it that day so I bailed and went up the NW spur instead. I've got a chainsaw but it's only a short bar not for monster stuff and as far as ground clearance I tend to get away with a fair bit on my older Outback. It's on par with a Rav4. Thanks for the info.
Diamir
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Smeagle » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:53 pm

im going to head up there sometime this week/weekend for an over nighter, so I shall keep informed. Just remember once you past the gate there is no turning back until the peak.
Dont Worry...
I'm Aiming For The Unknown...
I Shall Greet You On The Other Side..
Smeagle
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 6:07 pm

Once you go past the seasonal closure gate on Stoney Tops track you are on monster 4 WD terrain so walking it would be wise unless you have a beast of a vehicle.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi. I now have my chainsaw and accessories so an Autumn trip up Stoney tops fire trail could be possible while the road is nice and dry this early Autumn . One would only go as far as the seasonal closure gate and then walk up to the summit and back as a day pack walk .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 7:52 pm

If there is no DEWLP back burning being done along Snowy Creek rd. this Saturday , April 21st 2018 , then I will drive up Stoney tops track and walk up Mt. FT via the Northern Razorback track.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:38 pm

The news is that DELWP are back burning in the area and are set for a burn in the next 24 hrs along Snowy Ck. Rd and Dungey' s
track as of 22/4/18.
I just came back from camping at Stoney Tops near the SC gate and we walked the whole N. Razorback track to the Mt. FT top summit and back yesterday 21/4/18.
The forest management crew have sent a bulldozer up most of Stoney Tops track. They have cut down a lot of widow maker trees along the road side. The vehicular Ford at Snowy Creek is flowing higher than usual but my RAV 4 made it OK with a 3 people on board and all of our gear weighing the car down.
The walking track is generally in good order with a few fallen dead logs along the way and some overgrown heath as you leave the tree line and scramble up the North Peak.
Thanks to someone who left two 600 Mil. bottles of drinking water at walking track trail head at the Old Helipad. I ran out of water at that point on the return trip and was flagging a bit until I rehydrated there.
It is a very scenic 16 km day walk( starting from the Seasonal Closure gate) that must be done in clear dry settled weather so to get the most out of the views and to avoid being hammered by bad weather above the tree line.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria