Falls to Hotham alpine crossing alternatives

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Falls to Hotham alpine crossing alternatives

Postby Bushbashingbarlsy » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 7:55 am

Hi All,

First post here so apologies if I’m breaking any forum posting rules!!

Having only been up the falls creek way a couple of times hiking, we are planning to do the falls to Hotham alpine crossing this weekend. Having a look on this forum it seems there may be some better routes out there than the one on the parks vic website. Any suggestions? We will have a car parked at the lock and have a lift up to Hotham so still looking to do something 2 nights with the same start and finish locations. We are a bunch of fit 20 somethings looking for a challenge. I’ve had a look at the thread for the falls Hotham alpine crossing but all seems to be talk of the proposal rather than any alternative routes.

Also on a side note, anyone know whether there is water at Cope Hut?

Cheers
Tom
Bushbashingbarlsy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Falls to Hotham alpine crossing alternatives

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 3:26 pm

Usually water in the creek at Cope hut and it's only a short walk. Not really an alternative to the standard route that I have ever walked or skied, although it is a doddle in good weather you do need to take the usual precautions
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 7:13 am

It may be better to follow the aqueduct from Wallace's hut to Cope and pick up water before you walk up (just past the Rover lodge). Things are dry and the creek may not be running well. Hope you did not pay for the platforms. You only need to be 100m away and camping is free. There are a few alternate routes but not all with the time frame you are considering. One would require some good navigation skills. The walk is not particularly challenging unless you take the Westons spur and Diamantina spur option. That would make it a 2 night walk but if you go via Dibbins then it is only a one night unless you sleep in and walk slow.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby HarryS11 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 5:18 pm

I just got back yesterday from hiking in that area and there's definitely other routes that are worth a look.

Firstly you've got the classic Falls to Hotham route which is always worth doing, however since you're looking for a challenge I'd recommend going via Weston's and Blairs hut which gives you the option of going out to hotham via Machinery spur or Diamantina Spur and the razorback.
Unfortunately I can't shed any light on the condition of Machinery spur and the West Kiewa logging track up above Blair's hut, but what I saw below seemed well maintained. I went via weston's and Blair's hut, the track was in good shape with water at both huts and trout in the river at Blairs! It was easy enough to follow, as was the track from Blairs up Diamantina spur.

But from the sounds of it you're starting at Hotham which might actually work in your favor if you chose to go via Diamantina spur, Blair's hut and Westons hut. The reason being Diamantina spur is the steepest thing I've walked up, and I'd much rather go down.

So a full day of walking from Hotham (with an early start) would get a fit group accross the razorback, down Diamantina spur, past Blairs hut and up to Westons hut (which has water). From there it's a shorter day from weston's to Cope hut, however I suspect the majority of the section will be waterless. That being said Cope hut is likely to have water in the creek located in the valley on the left side of the hut (below the car park) and its a lovely spot to camp.Finally it's been a few years since I've done the last little bit from cope hut to falls creek but from what I remember it's pretty chilled and shouldn't present any issues.
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria