Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

High Country Eight - Three day hike

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 7:57 am

I often come here for ideas and inspiration, so thought I should repay the favour. However, I couldn't figure out how to post pics here, so have uploaded a trip report on my blog. It was going to be much more detailed, but life gets in the way.

http://lukeablett.tumblr.com/post/17280 ... ntry-eight

TL;DR
Day 1: Mt Loch Carpark - Marker 333 - Cope Saddle Hut (6.5 hours)
Day 2: Cope Saddle Hut - Pretty Valley Storage - Marker 333 - Diamantina Horse Yards (6.5 hours)
Day 3: Diamantina Horse Yards - Razorback - Diamantina hut (6 hours)

I made up the name from the rough figure 8 shape of the hike. Let me know if it's already named!

Re: High Country Eight - Three day hike

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks boyo. The info on the water is especially useful.

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 9:36 am

Yeah I'm always looking for info on water. Was plenty in mid-Feb and still on the weekend (I was up there agin), so seems like it's pretty reliable

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:21 am

Nice trip report and photos.
You could have camped at the top of the Diamantina Spur and just relaxed for an extra night at that big flat just near High Knob . There is no water there, water is an hour away along the Razorback and the MUMC hut track , it comes out of a spring in the mountain side. We went up there in December 2017 and fetched enough water for that night and the next day , the walk out over the Razorback to the Mt. Loch carp park.
The Diamantina spur ascent is tough. Going down it is not much fun either.
I am surprised you had any energy left to continue anywhere with a pack having scrambled up there.
Now you have finally experienced the Bogong High Plains you will be back to walk them over and over again . There are many places to visit and explore up there and then in white season they are an excellent place for Back Country XC skiing/snow shoe touring from hut to hut. I would have made the effort to stagger over to Ryder's huts. It is a nicer campsite. There is water in the aqua duct near by.
Post a reply