Great Ocean Walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great Ocean Walk

Postby OG1 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi,
I am in the planning stage for hiking The great Ocean Walk mid May this year. The itinerary isn't fixed yet so i am hoping to get some advise and feedback on what i have in mind so far. Any bits of wisdom and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This is the what we are thinking so far:
Day 1: Apollo Bay Visitors Centre to Blanket Bay Camp Ground
Distance: 22km
Day 2: Blanket Bay Camp Ground to Aire River campground
Distance: 21km
Day 3: Aire River campground to Ryans Den Campground
Distance: 28km
Day 4: Ryans Den Campground to Devils Kitchen Campground
Distance: 13km
Day 5: Devils Kitchen Campground Twelve Apostles
Distance: 16km
I don't have my contour map yet so comments on the what the terrain is like would be helpful - especially regarding the longer days. My preference is to keep this to 5 days so long as it is sensible to do so. Also comments on the campsites and if some are better to avoid.
Regards,
OG1
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Great Ocean Walk

Postby Turfa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:01 pm

That's an entirely reasonable plan, and exactly what I would do if I did the walk again. The walking is pretty easy along the entire track and none of those distances are unreasonable as long as you are fit and are carrying a reasonable pack weight. My favourite campsites are Johanna Beach (amazing view from a high site), Ryans Den and Devils Kitchen (both have great lookouts over the ocean)
The campsite at Cape Otway was probably my least favourite. Not bad, just not a very interesting spot. Blanket Bay and Aire River also have car camping areas, so are busier than the walk-in only campsites

Oh, and don't miss the side trip to the shop at Princetown on your last day...snacks and milkshacks !!!!!!

Cheers,
Turfa
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby OG1 » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 3:07 pm

Many thanks for the feedback Turfa... Snacks and milkshake sounds good, ginger beer and hamburger tends to be my go to.
Are there any other side hikes that you would recommend?
Also my map arrived today... It appears there are some alternative routes - some that run along the beach. Any thoughts on this?
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Turfa » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 7:26 pm

There are not really any significant side trips to do, but there are some track options where there is a choice of either an inland track or a beach walk. The beach walks are good but you need to make sure the conditions are appropriate as some of them traverse rockshelfs that can be impassable at high tide or rough seas. The map shows all these options. Pay attention to the tides and the state of the ocean and you can make the decision on the day.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby OG1 » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:21 am

Transport and Parking advice please..
I will be travelling by car from the Gippsland direction (through Melbourne) and on to Appollo Bay. My plan is to stay the Friday night at Apollo bay and get an early start for the hike on the Saturday morning. I will finish the hike around midday/early afternoon on the following Wednesday.
Is parking at the Twelve Apostles Visitors Centre an option?
I would be very interested to hear what solutions other people have found.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:45 am

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27780
sent you a pm.
Ask away if need be
Cheers
EDIT -shop now shut at Princetown I was told, didn't stop to confirm.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Eremophila » Mon 07 May, 2018 1:59 pm

I left my car for several days at the Twelve Apostles Visitor Centre, the GOR Shuttle owner/driver advised at the time (2 or 3 years ago) there had never been any instances of theft or vandalism at that point in time.

It looks like the V-Line bus departs Twelve Apostles at 10.36am each day, heading for Apollo Bay.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby OG1 » Wed 09 May, 2018 8:14 pm

Many thanks Lamont and Eremophila. Makes planning much easier with the advice
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby OG1 » Sat 26 May, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks again for the advice. We completed the hike as per the plan and it all went really well - wet and windy but i guess that adds an element of interest as well. Great views, we fount the campsites quite good and the sections of beach well worth the bit of extra effort. We stopped at the lighthouse, paid the entry fee and had an awesome egg and bacon roll (and coffee... and cake). All in all a hike I'm happy to recommend.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria