ANP hunting

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

ANP hunting

Postby bernieq » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 12:13 pm

As Sambar358 has clarified (more than once, no doubt), hunting of sambar deer is permitted in most of the Alpine National Park. There are a few restrictions and exclusions; sambar deer only, not in reference areas nor resort areas, not between 15Dec and 15Feb, not with dogs, for example.

Dogs are specifically excluded from the ANP. So I was pis*ed off to encounter a group of 3 hunters with a hunting dog on the track between Camp Creek and Mt Speculation - well inside the ANP. I asked the hunter holding the dog if he knew dogs were not permitted - he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

Mt Spec was a very popular area that day (in particular) - as well as two groups of hunters (5 in total), we saw another 50+ walkers - most of whom were 15-16yo Timbertop girls (and more, I believe, were in the greater area).

I photographed their vehicle and have passed it on to Parks. I've been promised feedback - hopefully some re-education occurs.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: ANP hunting

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 1:28 pm

Rabble hunters give legal hunters a bad name, not good. If your pictures of the hunters can be matched to the pic of the car owner the case is pretty solid. I'd think about making a statement or Statutory Declaration asap, as this sort of hard contemporaneous evidence is far better than one made weeks later. Just say what you saw when, with reference to the pics taken, especially the times and date. A Stat Dec starts like this
Statutory declaration
I name
of address
in the State of Victoria do solemnly and sincerely declare
then the words.
If you want a Stat Dec pro forma please send me a PM - I have the Stat Dec on my computer.

It may assist to contact Timbertop and see if they have any more information. Perhaps advise them that you have contacted PV.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby sambar358 » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 7:26 pm

Bernie.....good job on being pro-active and reporting your contact with deer the hunters with the illegal dog in the ANP....despite the "shrug" he'd know that he was out-of-order and that his dog was not permitted in there. Not too sure what Parks can do after the fact but hopefully they'll follow it up with some vigor. It would be a good move to also pass your information on to the Victorian Game Management Authority (GMA) as enforcement of the deer hunting regulations is their responsibility and any information from the public with regards to illegal hunting activity should be received by them with some enthusiasm (hopefully). GMA work with VicPol on enforcement matters and I'm sure that VicPol could run the plate you photographed then get the local boys to go have a chat to the registered owner of the vehicle and see what he has to say for himself. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 9:08 pm

Parks have a compliance branch, s385, so I'll leave it with them for now - but thanks for the GMA info.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Return to Victoria