Falls to Hotham in winter: Has anybody done this?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Falls to Hotham in winter: Has anybody done this?

Postby Harry Cowan » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:33 am

Hi everyone,

I am searching for information on whether it is possible to complete Falls to Hotham alpine pass at the end of July? Has anybody done this route before? I am new to Victoria and want to do a challenging snow hike. Also, in winter would this hike pass through the ski areas? If anyone has information about good multi-day snow hikes I would be very interested.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Cowan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Falls to Hotham in winter: Has anybody done this?

Postby jdeks » Wed 23 May, 2018 9:15 am

Hey mate,

I usually do one every winter, this year likely included. Typically do I detour via feathertop because I like it.

Yes it (usually) passes through the ski zones, no you dont have to pay a cent, unless you plan to park your car or stay at the accommodation at either end. Bus services run to both resorts regularly from melb - if that where you live it's quite viable to bus all the way to one resort, do the hike and bus right on home.

As far as the hike, maaany different paths to take. Fairly straightforward stuff if you've done cold weather trekking before, although depending on the route you pick it can be a bit of a slog (Diamantina Spur, anyone?). 3 days is a comfortable pace, lots of detours to take if you have more time. Huts along the way if you need em, though condition and wood stock can vary so bring your own house too.

If it's your first time hiking in snow, might be worth doing something smaller to test your snowskills first - if the weather turns halfway in, you can get quite isolated pretty quick out there. Learn how to make a snowtrench (or at least dig your tent in), practice some nav in snow, pratice snowshoes in a pack, google some of the basics on avalanche awareness - that sort of thing.

Other than that? Pack some extra socks and go for it.

Feel free to ask any me more q's. :)
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Xplora » Wed 23 May, 2018 3:23 pm

It is an easy winter crossing in good weather if you know what you are doing and have the gear (as mentioned above). The ski forum may have some info also. Go to the BC section (snow). Much will depend on the route you intend to take. If it is the one we have been talking about recently then you may have some issue in parts of Diamantina spur depending on the snow level and depth. From Falls Creek you will not have any issue with the resorts but you enter the Hotham resort near Dibbins Hut on Swindlers spur. If you have to cross ski runs then you should be aware of what to do. It is unlikely the Kiewa and Cobrunga valleys will have snow on the ground. Don't book and pay for camping platforms if you intend using them. Nobody else will be and nobody will check. I can't believe somebody actually did book them in winter. The High Plains are quite exposed so they are not a place to be in foul weather but you will need to be the judge of that based on your own experience. +1 to jdeks. I am not one to pay resort entry and prefer to access the park from other locations in winter but you can can get a bus up from Mt. Beauty. Helicopter flight back to Falls will cost about $170.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Wed 23 May, 2018 4:15 pm

I've said this before and copped flak for it, but I stand by it: if you'e going to descend diamantina spur under snow, take a rope. Even if it's just some 5mm nylon hauling line that you can loop round a tree base every so often and use to keep your balance, or do a rough body belay.

The last pinch is a legit properly steep scramble preceded by some pretty hard slog through leeside snowdrifts down the spur - which itself is a tiring mix of both up and down, and has a reputation for taking longer than you expect. It's not K2, and if you're ballsy and fit and spy, you could do it in Volleys 9 times out of 10 and likely be fine.

But the wrong mix of fatigue, cold, an overbalanced pack, low light and wet rocks has the potential to turn an otherwise harmless slip into a proper injury, which given the terrain could well immobilize you where you land. In that case, rescue is easily a 24hr+ operation depending on conditions. If you're exposed and bad weather moves in overnight.... every couple of years or some, someone gets unlucky up in this country and dies.

500g of spectra is cheap, light, multipurpose insurance.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 23 May, 2018 5:16 pm

We have been down D spur in snow and took a different line to most. We did not have the same problem but it is not everyone's experience. Going up people seem to have issues as well. It is best left alone if it is deep in snow low down. Cobungra gap and Swindlers is the best option. Tawonga huts, Westons hut, Blairs hut, Dibbins hut and Derrick hut all provide refuge or escape should you need it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Harry Cowan » Fri 25 May, 2018 7:00 pm

Thank you both very much for your information I'm getting everything together atm and learning the route. Do you think I would need crampons for any of the accents/descents? I was also thinking about doing Feathertop and wanted to know what you two think is the best route to take; i.e., from Falls or from Feathertop? Your information is much appreciated.
Harry Cowan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 May, 2018 11:08 am

When you say crampons I think mountaineering and advise against them unless you know what you are doing/willing to learn properly and also carry an ice axe.
If you mean boot chains etc then yes they can be of help sometimes.
I have needed and used an ice axe and crampons to get to the summit of Feathertop a few times but in general they are not really needed, I do however feel naked in winter if I don't have one but that is just me and not a real need. Also finding flexible 2 piece steel crampons for general use seems to be getting harder
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Sat 26 May, 2018 11:02 pm

Crampons for Feathertop is hard to say. First-timer doing NW approach after a week of melt-freeze cycles? Yep, for sure. Trudging up from Fed Hut after a fresh dump? Hell no - especially if you have to carry the ruddy things for another 60 ks! Id say snowhoes are enough with a good Sturdy Stick.

If you're keen on Feathertop, Diamantina spur is more or less a given IMO - detouring around via Swindlers or Machinery adds about about six billion kilometers and the ascent from the bottom of Diamantina to Westons (a properly nice hut) is easier and shorter than Basalt spur .

Of course, if you start at Falls, that means going UP Diamantina to get to Feathertop (or taking the muuuuch longer detour and still having to go uphill anyway). So I'd say Feathertop-Falls is the better option.

As for rope vs not rope....just going to leave this here -http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27902&p=351047
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:59 am

I think Hotham-Feathertop-Diamantina spur-Westons spur and then your choice of route to Falls Creek, of which there are many, would be a better option than the other way. That would be if you are intent on doing Feathertop. Learning the route is also something also better done on the ground without the snow but not a prerequisite if you have good weather the entire time. There are poles to follow on BHP and signs with directions and distances at intersection. I have carried and used crampons in some places. Usually the mornings when things are very icy and the snow shoes do not cut it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 29 May, 2018 8:01 pm

If you are XC skiing from Falls to Hotham then that will be quicker and more energy efficient in some places esp. if you follow the present FHAC route which follows the pole lines and goes via Dibbin's hut and Swindlers spur.
One Ski forum member made it to Hotham heights in one day last season albeit in the dark with a head torch from near Derrick's hut via Mt. Loch to Hotham Heights.
The ascent up Swindlers' spur might require ski crampons, kicker skins or just boot packing it.
Snow shoes would work but it would be slow going and a night halt at Blair's or Dibbin's hut would be wise considering the short daylight hours. For ascending in deep snow with a heavy pack , snow shoes can help but you are still going to be taxed and wind up becoming fatigued. Such things take longer than anticipated. Conditions above the tree line in snow season can be total horse poo and you may have to turn around and find somewhere sheltered to rest and regroup.
I have ascended Mt. FT in winter in snow and at dawn in June 2017 and the surface was firm . I wore Kahtoola Microspikes which are very handy and useful.
I agree with the OP about possibly running into real bother going up the Diamantina spur in winter. Going down it may not be much better. A rope would be super handy.
If you know the routes from Green season then that will be a big help. If it is icy early in the morning then snow shoes will not be appropriate.
I like to have an ice axe on the steep slopes in winter . You need to know how to use it safely in a split second reflex manoeuvre to self arrest a fall. If you are on skis a whippet self arrest ski pole could suffice. I have seen some skiers on Mt. Bogong armed with two Whippet ski poles in case they fall in a no fall zone .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria