Red Cave, Grampians

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Red Cave, Grampians

Postby hans tracksdorf » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 6:10 pm

Access Caution
Hollow Mountain and Red Cave in the Victoria Range are two well known features which have been visited by hikers and climbers for years. Red Cave has two access points, one thru entry via the front of the cave and the second thru holes or 'windows' in the roof of the cave. Ten years ago access via the roof, was pretty straightforward and just a matter of climbing down into the hole from the top of the hill. Fast forward 10 years (June 2018) and now moisture (don't know where from because it hardly ever rains in the Grampians) has made the foot supports that you would rely on fairly slippery and treacherous. I wouldn't recommend accessing the cave from this point because any slipping from the top, would still involve a fall of circa 3-5 metres. (far enough to do some damage)
hans tracksdorf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Red Cave, Grampians

Postby peregrinator » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 9:49 am

Hans, thanks for the tip. I'm not convinced though by your statement that it hardly ever rains in the Gramps. Mt William even gets snow at times, maybe as recently as last week. Here's another tip -- the Bureau of Meteorology has just removed Mt William from its list of weather stations.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jimjim » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 11:59 am

peregrinator wrote: ….the Bureau of Meteorology has just removed Mt William from its list of weather stations...

The Mt William observations seem to have been off line for a while now.... Has it really been removed?

I use this one lots and I think it provides an important safety resource for all the higher points of the Grampians, especially given there are no other stations over 1000m in the West of the state. (this will become even more important once the GPT kicks off in earnest)
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 6:25 pm

Mt William data went missing for about one month but is now operational again. How nice to know that the current Apparent Temperature is -8.1 degrees.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria