Obriens crossing closed for camping

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Obriens crossing closed for camping

Postby ErichFromm » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 5:56 am

I'm sure I'm the only one that didn't know, but took a friend to lerderderg over weekend and realised there is no longer camping at obriens crossing.

A bit sad really - i can under stand the thinking but my earliest memories of camping were there...being down near the water.

Not sure how it impacts walking as i recall hike groups would often stop there for a night during a multiday walk..
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Obriens crossing closed for camping

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:27 am

It has been closed for a while now but it should be noted there doesn't seem to be any enforcement with many camping on the banks last time I was there. Ditto for Ambler's Crossing which also had 4wd campers a few weeks ago when I was there despite being seasonally closed. Now there's a camp that probably ought to be closed, there being no toilet and the car based campers leaving a mess that would make you gag all on the banks of the river.

Lerderderg's rules are really an honour system, if that.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dougal73 » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 1:31 pm

I was there a few weeks ago in the late afternoon after a hike. There was a police 4WD that parked up and the police did look to be looking around the area. Possibly to spot any campers and move them on, or maybe just having a looksie. There were no campers there though..and they moved on.
dougal73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 3:08 pm

Fair enough, must be a luck of the draw thing. Good to see some police out there. Not that I care about people camping at O'Brien's but there's obviously motorbikes using byers back track which would be pretty unpleasant given how narrow it is if you happened to be walking it at the time. And Ambler's Crossing is a disgrace, but you get that I guess.
CraigVIC

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 5:11 pm

I saw the replacement campsite - nothing I'd be rushing to stay at, though i can imagine some trailbike riders basing themselves there...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm

The replacement campsite was designed around some very mature trees that were cut down

https://www.3aw.com.au/absolutely-disgr ... erg-trees/
CraigVIC

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:44 pm

That's disgusting... i get upset when d-heads cut down or damage small trees for no reason - what would be thinking to do this sort of damage?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 7:44 pm

Sometimes I wonder about humanity, senseless destruction for the sake of it. grrrrr :evil:

I've always though that my friends and I were 'normal' but I'm starting to wonder if we are not out numbered by the selfish and the ignorant?
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria