Multi day hike end September

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby ErichFromm » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 7:36 am

So, I'm being forced to take 10 days leave to be compliant to policy at work. I have to take it before the end of September.

I'd like to spend at least part of that time getting far away and have a little isolation. My first thought was to do the Vallejo, Mt Speculation, Viking, Howqua circuit - something I've tried before but failed. I threw out the idea once I realised road closures extended up to November 1st. Runner up was the Major Mitchell Plateau in Grampians...though not really the distance, duration or isolation I was hoping for.

After reading about the crazy Belgian crossing Tasmania I feel motivated again to try something a little more ambitious. I was thinking perhaps I could do something similar to my original plan, but take the first day walking from the Tamboritha Road closure up to Vallejo as the first day, and skip the Viking but still do Howqua. I don't have snow shoes, but am otherwise am equipped well for snow conditions. Is anyone able to advise the likely conditions and whether such a walk is advisable? Not keen on doing the crosscut saw if it's covered in moving ice patches...thawing ice could be more dangerous than solid winter coverage..
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Multi day hike end September

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:44 am

I think it will probably take you more than a single day to get to Gantners from the gate if you don't have snowshoes or skis. I don't know how much snow is up there now, but I've walked in the area late September and there can be a lot, and it can be slow going.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:43 am

If you don’t have to go to the mountains, the Great South West Walk is a great option.

Drive to Portland, walk to Nelson via the Glenelg River, pick up the food parcel you’ve sent to Nelson, walk back to Portland via the coast.

http://www.greatsouthwestwalk.com/intro/

Apart from some day walkers on the weekend, you should pretty much have it to yourself.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:09 am

Wow thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:14 am

Anything above 1300m this time of year could pose a problem on a multi day walk without snow shoes. Some Septembers are pretty bare but not this one. A bit of rain coming now but it will turn to snow and then another system in a week. You could hire snow shoes but not sure if that would be cost effective over the time. Getting to Mac Springs this time of year is better from Bluff Hut way. You should be able to drive to the locked gate now.

Around home, most of the northerly aspects are clear of snow at 1400m but anything on the southern side or in shade is still holding snow to 30cm plus. You could be walking on dirt one minute then post holing the next. That is spring in the mountains.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidn3875 » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm

You could consider walking the "Wilderness Coast" from Cape Conran to Mallacoota, or part there of or from Mallacoota through to Eden. Walk south to north to take advantage of tail wind conditions. It is a great bit of wild coastline and you are unlikely to meet too many people out there - if any.
davidn3875
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drummo62 » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:16 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:If you don’t have to go to the mountains, the Great South West Walk is a great option.

Drive to Portland, walk to Nelson via the Glenelg River, pick up the food parcel you’ve sent to Nelson, walk back to Portland via the coast.

http://www.greatsouthwestwalk.com/intro/

Apart from some day walkers on the weekend, you should pretty much have it to yourself.

+1 for the GSWW unless you have your heart set on the high country and some snow. I did the full loop a couple of years ago over 9 days and only shared a campsite on one night. Very diverse countryside with forests, river, beach and rugged capes. I can probably find my old itinerary if you are interested
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby surly 17 » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 9:26 am

Hi Drummo I am planning on doing the GSWW in October I am planning on doing it over 9 days so would love to see your itinerary. I have worked one out but would like to compare, I'm sure I might have a couple of questions too. Thanks Surly.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ErichFromm » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 3:07 pm

I'd love to see an itinerary... I'll only have about 7 days (i have my son alternate weekends), so looking at a shorter loop....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 6:25 pm

One option is to contact the Friends of the Great South West Walk and arrange a drop off at Nelson. You can then walk back via either the coast or inland depending on your preferences.
I did this when my time was limited and could only get a short time off work.

Another great alternative for your timeframe is the Great Ocean Walk from Apollo Bay to the 12 [currently 7) Apostles:
https://www.greatoceanwalk.com.au/
The “official” duration is 8 days but that’s very cruisy and you will probably want to combine some of the days.
ChrisJHC

Postby ErichFromm » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks Chris, some great options there...getting a map monday so will explore some options
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 10:23 am

There's also the Goldfields Track, a bit harder logistics-wise but there are some public transport options for getting back to your starting point.
Quite a different environment though - passing through plenty of towns and farmland, shared with horses and cyclists.

If you do the GSWW, be sure to check out the seal viewpoint at Cape Bridgewater, it's a lovely spot. If you are lucky you will see some whales in the bay as well.
Eremophila

Postby Drummo62 » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:53 am

ErichFromm wrote:I'd love to see an itinerary... I'll only have about 7 days (i have my son alternate weekends), so looking at a shorter loop....

Day 1 - Drive to Portland - parked at the police station - Hike to Cubbys - 20km
Day 2 - Cubbys to Fitrzroy - 37km
Day 3 - Fitzroy to Moleside - 22km
Day 4 - Moleside to Pattersons - 30km
Day 5 - Pattersons to Nelson - 20 km - Picked up food parcel from PO, stayed at the pub, stove fuel from the service station
Day 6 - Nelson - Swan Lake - 40km (long day with soft sand at the end)
Day 7 - Swan Lake to The Springs via Mt Richmond - 32km
Day 8 - The Springs to Mallee - 30km
Day 9 - Mallee to Portland - 21.7km - drive home

7 days would be trickier but you could cut the Capes section off and get a lift back to Portland from near Tarragal camp between Swan Lake and the Springs. Cuts off one of the sections I really enjoyed though.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks for itinerary - I've been waiting to reply until i got a map. I've only got about 7 days to work with so thinking I'll need to do either lower glenelg or cobboboone and cross over somewhere in the middle. Glenelg side is easier as the return route is closer to cross over for short cut (eg through one of the plantations). Is there any "best" sections? I'm happy to leave out some of the beach bits...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 9:21 pm

Given that many walkers imagine that the only way to plan an itinerary is to make it a circuit, you may well object to my suggestion. However, as you have already stated that you’re happy to omit some beach sections, you might give me a hearing. Particularly when there is not really a viable way to do an attractive short-cut. (Search this forum for very apt comments from Hallu on his observations about the horrors of the plantations! There is no "one" plantation. They all seem to conjoin to form a belligerent blight on the landscape.)

I’ve particularly enjoyed walking in Cobboboonee and along the Glenelg River. Bits of the beach route as well, but they tend to be (a) a lot of the same, and (b) potentially exposed to nasty weather from approaching cold fronts, especially in September. (Maybe save those bits for a later visit.)

So, I’d be thinking of adapting the useful itinerary Drummo62 posted and changing it to an out-and-back journey, commencing from somewhere (via car) near Cubbys to somewhere like Pattersons, then doing a u-turn. I.e., do Drummo’s days 2 to 4 for your outward trip, then reverse those, totalling six days. You could then add one further day if available to drive back to a place nearby of interest that you might be curious about when you’ve studied the map and have a better feel for the locale.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drummo62 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 8:29 am

ErichFromm wrote:Thanks for itinerary - I've been waiting to reply until i got a map. I've only got about 7 days to work with so thinking I'll need to do either lower glenelg or cobboboone and cross over somewhere in the middle. Glenelg side is easier as the return route is closer to cross over for short cut (eg through one of the plantations). Is there any "best" sections? I'm happy to leave out some of the beach bits...

Personally I enjoyed the Glenelg river section the most followed by the Capes. I didn't particularly enjoy the beach section although the early morning was stunning and it was probably more caused by a very long day that ended on soft sand. I found the first and last days a bit of a road bash as you get closer to Portland. If you aren't adverse to an out and back route Peregrinator's suggestion has merit then you could maybe add in a day walk near Cape Bridgewater. You would then experience 3 of the 4 eco-systems the walk passes through plus avoid the road sections around Portland. If you only want to hike for 5 days then I'd do the first half as Chris suggested earlier in the thread and do the forests and river.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 10:47 am

davidn3875 wrote:You could consider walking the "Wilderness Coast" from Cape Conran to Mallacoota, or part there of or from Mallacoota through to Eden. Walk south to north to take advantage of tail wind conditions. It is a great bit of wild coastline and you are unlikely to meet too many people out there - if any.

Thanks for this David - something to add to my list for later :)
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks Drummo and Peregrinator - awesome being able to get advise like this. i was leaning toward leaving out the Cobboboonee but will now put it back.

Was discussing this with a friend and they've offered to join me for a day walk on the second last day, they'll be able to drop me off somewhere after, so working out how to factor that in...I might do Day 2 to Day 4 of Drummo's itinerary, meet up with my friend and do a bit of the beach, and then get dropped off at my car so i can do Mount Richmond... will do a bit of map exploration tonight...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 4:57 pm

Scratch that - friend realised nelson could be a 5 hour drive for her. Now thinking of borrowing a bike and leaving it somewhere to allow more options...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 12:06 am

The Friends of the GSWW could possibly assist with transport, worth a shot. They’re a helpful bunch.
I might be able to help if it were a weekend.
I’d skip the first day walking out of Portland to Cubbys if possible, take a taxi to the nearest road access point, or again ask the Friends.
Eremophila

Postby surly 17 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks Drummo my plan is similar to yours I’m just going to do a couple of longer days early on so there’s not a massive day on the beach.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Drummo62 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:57 am

surly 17 wrote:Thanks Drummo my plan is similar to yours I’m just going to do a couple of longer days early on so there’s not a massive day on the beach.

Check your tide times. My original plan was to stop at Lake Monibeong but I started early to get low tide and was at the Lake by lunch time so I pushed on.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 6:38 pm

My favourite parts are the Capes and along the Glenelg River.
You can miss the beach slog if you’re short of time but it could make the itinerary a little difficult.

Definitely give the Friends of the Walk a call as my experience is they’re very happy to help with pickups and drop-offs (a donation is welcomed!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby peregrinator » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 8:59 pm

ChrisJHC wrote: . . . Definitely give the Friends of the Walk a call as my experience is they’re very happy to help with pickups and drop-offs (a donation is welcomed!).

That seems like a good idea, ChrisJHC. But could you suggest what might be a fair amount to donate? I don't have any idea of what would be appropriate.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 1:00 am

From memory I gave them $50 as a taxi to Nelson was going to be $150.
Definitely worth it as they do such a great job keeping the Walk and facilities up to such a high standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 5:21 am

Anyone able help with contact details? I've searched friends of gsww and found pages to become a member, boards etc but no phone number. It sounds preferable to a taxi...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drummo62 » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:48 am

ErichFromm wrote:Anyone able help with contact details? I've searched friends of gsww and found pages to become a member, boards etc but no phone number. It sounds preferable to a taxi...

Try here -
http://www.greatsouthwestwalk.com/events/index.php
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:31 pm

Or you could try the "Contact Us" page :)
http://www.greatsouthwestwalk.com/intro ... t%20us.php

Contact Gordon or Kathy at the details there.
ChrisJHC

Postby Eremophila » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 7:58 am

ChrisJHC wrote:From memory I gave them $50 as a taxi to Nelson was going to be $150.
Definitely worth it as they do such a great job keeping the Walk and facilities up to such a high standard

Yes. There used to be a bus between Portland and Nelson which was handy, but alas no more.
Eremophila

Postby ErichFromm » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks - working out something with Gordon now. How amazing having something like this is....people being so willing to help.
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Victoria