Tali Karng via Mt Margaret

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tali Karng via Mt Margaret

Postby bikehikebrew » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone attempted Tali Karng via Mt Margaret recently (since March 2018)?

I have never done this trail but attempted it over the weekend. We got 6km up the ridge towards Mt Margaret and lost all signs of anything resembling a trail. The scrub was so thick it was impassable.

I have read that this section of the trail is poorly maintained. Is it normally this bad the closer to the top you get? Also, are the trail conditions similar heading down the other side to Dolodrook?

Want to attempt it again but need a bit more info first.

Thanks!

Tim
bikehikebrew
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tali Karng via Mt Margaret

Postby CaptainC » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 10:02 pm

No one seems to be replying. I used to do it once a year, in August or September. After the floods, which cut off road access for about 2 years, I only did it twice after that. It has become quite wild and I don't think anyone is maintaining it. The section from Mt Margaret to the Dolodrook river is much easier. It used to be a 4WD track . It is now blocked off but is still quite obvious.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Tali Karng via Mt Margaret

Postby andrewp » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 11:32 am

I did it in Oct 2015. We lost the track fairly early on up the spur, but it was easy navigation up the spur and I don't recall it being particularly scrubby. If you had gone 6km you would have been past Mt Margaret. When we got to the Mt Margaret 4wd Track we could see quite a clear track going back down. As CaptainC says the way down is an old 4wd track. It was very overgrown, but quite easy to follow. It became much clearer as we got lower down.

It was an interesting alternative route to LTK.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria