English Broom Control - Volunteer weekend 9-11th Nov

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

English Broom Control - Volunteer weekend 9-11th Nov

Postby Xplora » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:26 am

Just a thought that some of you may be interested in doing some volunteer work to help with English Broom control in the ANP. Sounds interesting already? Let me spruce it up a bit. English Broom is an invasive plant which has taken over much of the riparian landscape and it grip is extending. Spraying has been utilised in areas where access is easy but in other areas a number of biological agents have been deployed. A program runs each year to collect and distribute these agents in areas north of Omeo. Not got you yet?

This year the project is offering free accommodation at the Glen Wills Retreat (on the Omeo Hwy near the AAWT) as well as food. You only have to provide one breakfast and one lunch. In exchange you could enjoy a free white water rafting trip down the Mitta Mitta river. You would have to be fit and able to do this and activities are not limited to rafting. The work is not hard. Distributing the biological agents is a simple matter of placing them in a standing Broom plant. The program is open to another 7 people and some rafting or paddling experience would be helpful but not essential. Some wading of streams and a bit of scrub walking could be encountered.

If you are keen then please visit this site to register.
https://www.parkconnect.vic.gov.au/Volu ... ctivities/

then search 'alpine' in the park box. If you need more information then PM me.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: English Broom Control - Volunteer weekend 9-11th Nov

Postby icefest » Sat 03 Nov, 2018 2:55 pm

You're a paddler too?!
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: English Broom Control - Volunteer weekend 9-11th Nov

Postby Xplora » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 5:42 am

Not really a paddler but I do the odd raft trip down the Mitta. The rafting part will be supervised by qualified guides and I am not qualified. Still some spots available. Gear can be supplied if you do not have your own.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria