Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Beginner Track Recomendations

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 10:22 am

Hi,

Myself and my partner are looking to get into bushwalking next year. I have my eyes on a few day trips but was wondering if anyone here had some recommendations on great starting tracks for day or overnight hikes.

Thanks!
Toby "Rumblepants" Couchman :)

Re: Beginner Track Recomendations

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 11:51 am

For an overnight the Beeripmo walk is a good one to start with as it is on the shorter side with a clear track. There are drop toilets and a water tank at the camp and approved fireplaces if you like a fire.

For daywalks, I think it's best to stay close to home because it's not really worth big drives until you're ready to do longer walks.

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi Rumblepants, whereabouts are you located?

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 1:17 pm

Heaps of options but my tip is to ease your way into it.
Do some day walks carrying a reasonable weight (5-10 kg) to see if you are okay with it.
Then do a couple of short (5-10km) hikes to an overnight camping spot - that way if anything goes wrong you can head back to the car.
Then combine the two.

Of course, if you know someone that is a bushwalker, see if they'd be willing to help you through the initial learning phase.
I expect most people would be keen to share their knowledge.
Just make sure that they follow an approach similar to the one above.

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 7:05 pm

Join a bushwalking club. I lead walks with the VNPA but most of my hikes are not for newbies.

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm based in Melbourne! Probably should've stated that in my first post. Been a while since I've used forums :)

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 7:27 pm

rumblepants wrote:

I'm based in Melbourne! Probably should've stated that in my first post. Been a while since I've used forums :)

What general region? North, West, East, South East?

Recommending a walk in Werribee Gorge is going to be a bit pointless if you're based in Pakenham.

Wed 31 Oct, 2018 7:57 am

Check out https://www.trailhiking.com.au for some ideas. I posted a bunch of walks along the Yarra in the Warrandyte/Wonga Park region. Cathedrals is also good. Even Mt Dandenong Arboretum area has plenty of options.

Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:13 pm

Three overnighters that come to mind are The Prom, Mt Erica carpark to Mushroom Rocks (Baw Baw) and Big Pats Creek to Ada Tree (Warburton)

Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:16 pm

I started bushwalking doing day walks and overnight hikes in the Southern Prom. It is a fine place to start bushwalking and learning about such activities. By Joining a bushwalking club you will meet others who can help you and you will go on trips that are usually organized and guided by more experienced people.

Sat 03 Nov, 2018 12:23 pm

Sections of the Great Ocean Walk or the Goldfields Track/Great Dividing Trail, can be done either as day walks or overnight.
Beeripmo, yes a nice overnight walk, or a longish (for me) day walk.
Grampians - if you're willing to travel that far, and depending which part of Melbourne you're in.

Sat 15 Dec, 2018 3:03 pm

The Rubicon aqua duct route is a top 18 km day walk.
Post a reply