Has anyone done the Bulla Huts Trail?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Has anyone done the Bulla Huts Trail?

Postby katcal » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:49 pm

Came across it last night online and looks like a decent enough way to spend a week in the high country.

http://www.bullerhutstrail.com.au/

Just wondering if anyone else has followed the route he sets out and what they thought?

Are his distances and times correct? A couple of the campsites have water tanks but he says they are regularly empty because of 4WD'ers - what is the water situation likely to be in early December?
katcal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Has anyone done the Bulla Huts Trail?

Postby Xplora » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:45 am

There is quite a bit of comment on it here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26873&hilit=buller+huts and here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27065&p=341130&hilit=buller+huts#p341130
It is not a walk I would do personally as it involves too much road walking which you share with 4wd vehicles. I have driven all of the road sections also. There are some nice aspects to the walk with the bits on single track. Huts are people magnets and the huts in that area are very popular. Some people like this type of walking track and if you are that type then it could be a good experience.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 7:21 pm

I would spend a week walking from Hut to Hut along the Bogong High Plains. Start at Bogong Village and head up towards Bogong Jack Saddle. Go over the Fainters to Tawonga Huts. Then move onto Weston's Hut and Young's hut (SEC Hut on Young's spur).
Then head for Ryder's hut. From there you can go to Cope Hut and follow the Aqua duct out towards Fitzgerald's hut.
Edmondson's hut is the next stop followed by Roper's hut. You can walk out via Spion Kopje down the fire trails back to Bogong Village. You won't see many cars at all along that route and water is easy to find. If you fancy a longer , tougher walk then you can go via Mt. Bogong.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby katcal » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 3:23 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I would spend a week walking from Hut to Hut along the Bogong High Plains.

Thanks that is a really good suggestion actually - with the snow up there this last week, there will definitely be water! How what long term parking at Bogong Village like?
katcal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 5:38 am

Long term parking restrictions? None. Falls Creek could be a better place to park. If you park at Bogong Village then inform Mt. Beauty Police so they don't waste time trying to find out if your car has been abandoned. Lots of cars park at Falls for lengthy periods. Long term safety of your car? Better off at Falls but Bogong Village should not be a problem. You would have to park a fare way down, near the toilet and that is a bit quieter at night. I think PCV's idea would be better although the scenery in part of the Buller huts trail is spectacular. Pity. Some of the walking is good too but it is not really a bushwalker's walk until you start heading over to Mt. Howitt. There are also some aspects of BHP that are a bit touristy or follow defined roads but they are management vehicle roads in the most part. The wildflowers are out now and lots of people around so you will not be on your own entirely unless you know some sneaky spots and tracks. The walking on BHP is pretty cushy and you won't break much of a sweat unless you head down to one of the rivers which means you have to come back up. Worthwhile to visit Dibbins and then Blairs onto Westons. In a week you could cover pretty much all of it. Make sure you have a tent as some of these huts are pretty manky.

Cope and Dibbins have camping platforms that you are supposed to book and pay for but you can pitch a tent 100m away from them in good spots and avoid any fee. If the object is a bit of 'hut bagging' then I would start at Heathy spur of Falls village and go clockwise. Edmonsons, Ropers, Johnsons (close to Edmonsons), Kellys and Fitzgeralds, Langford Gap SEC (not really worth it but on the way), Wallaces, Rover Scout lodge (private), Cope, Youngs SEC (side track but not far) Dibbins, Blairs, Westons, Tawonga, Pretty Valley and back to the car. Did I miss any? From Ropers you could do Cleve Cole if you are keen. It is about half a day to get there via T spur and a full day going via Timms spur and Quartz Ridge over Bogong summit.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 3:37 pm

Yes the AAWT from Mt. Magdala over the Cross Cut saw to Mt. Speculation is spectacular but I would recommend the BHP. Water is easy to find out there . Like Explora said , take a tent and be prepared for wild weather above the tree line.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria