Bogong Creek tram line & aquaduct access

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bogong Creek tram line & aquaduct access

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi
I have applied for permission , in writing by snail mail from AGL regarding access to the Bogong Creek aquaduct and tramline.
This is their reply:
"Dear P_C_V a. k. a Mr.Tee on XC skis

Thank you for your letter regarding access to the Bogong Creek race line. The balance of land outside the Clover Power Station is not exclusive possession to AGL. It is crown land therefore accessible to the public. You do not require AGL's permission.

Regards
Doug Hunt

Doug Hunt
Manager, Asset Real Estate
AGL Procurement & Property Services

-----Original Message-----

So there you have it. I am not trespassing if I go walking from Clover arboretum to Bogong Creek saddle via the aquaduct . It is official.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong Creek tram line & aquaduct access

Postby bigkev » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks PCV, that is very good news.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 4:51 am

Did you ask about the keep out signs? As I said on the ski forum. Well done and now we also have a direct contact for legal action when someone falls off the pipe. You should probably post the letter you wrote as well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 12:59 pm

We walked the whole route on Sat. 26/1/19. It did involve a tightrope type walk over a large pipe and going around a cyclone wire fence as well as two tramway bridge crossings. Of the second one we walked underneath the tracks and sleepers. It is a scenic walk with the sound of flowing water and good views of Mt. Bogong's West Peak summit area .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ahmad » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 8:32 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:g details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thanks Paidal for the helpful information.

By any change do you have a GPX recording of the track? I am planning the same trip next week but I was not successful finding the tramline/aqueduct on the maps.

Thanks
ahmad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi.I do not have a GPS device. I used a the Spatial Vison Map of the area. The Tramline is marked on the map. Ditto for the Rooftops map of the area. Park the car at The Clover Arboretum and cross the road about 150 M. up the main road towards Bogong Village and you will see a gate on the left that goes down towards the East Kiewa River bridge. Go around the gate and over the river and keep walking. There will be a fork in the track but stay on course and do not vary the route. The higher track starts the climb up towards Mt. Arthur.Don't go up that track. Once you see the tramway terminus and an AGL shed the follow the aqueduct for about 8 kms. You should join up with another fire trail . Keep heading up hill, following the Bogong Creek valley topography and fire trails until you reach Bogong Creek Saddle. It is a bit of a slog but well worth it. There is water along the way so no need to cart extra water. Camping at Bogong Creek Saddle is usually pleasant but it is exposed and can be very windy and wet in bad weather.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria