Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Bluff Spur Hut - Mt Stirling, Victoria

Mon 14 Jan, 2019 11:44 am

Has anyone been to Bluff Spur Hut (Mt Stirling, Victoria) recently? Walking from Mt Buller to Mt Stirling for an easy overnight camp, this weekend, and was wondering about water up there. I have been told that there is a water source on Lower Link Track and a tank on GGS Hut, but not sure if it would have any water in it. Any info would be appreciated

Re: Bluff Spur Hut - Mt Stirling, Victoria

Wed 16 Jan, 2019 7:43 pm

I was last up that way on XC skis in July 2018. There is a spring on the summit west track and there is a tank at the Bluff spur hut. I know Mt. Stirling quite well but I know it better from snow camping and snow shoe trips as well as more recently on XC ski trips. There are a number of ways to approach the Bluff Spur hut . The River spur track is scenic but most people come up the Bluff Spur track.

Wed 16 Jan, 2019 8:44 pm

I was there on the weekend and tapped on the water tank at Bluff Spur Hut which sounded very empty. I did turn the tap on slightly out of curiosity and got a very tiny trickle. Definitely would not want to rely upon it.. although I did not check ththe other hut tanks. There was a running stream a couple of hundred meters down from the Cricket Pitch grounds.

Thu 17 Jan, 2019 4:45 am

I was told yesterday the Bluff Spur Hut tank is empty but the GGS Hut tank is full

Thu 17 Jan, 2019 8:26 am

Listed by potential for actually flowing in this very dry season -
As Xastrom says the best one of all is near where the Stirling Trail meets the Fork Creek Trail not far from Cricket Pitch Hut. (Source of Fork Creek?)
Another spring is on the Stonefly track about 500 metres south of the Bluff Spur Hut. (Source of Bluff Creek?)
As PCV said there is a spring on the West Summit track. This one is small but has been reliable in not so dry years.

It's hard to rely on the tanks. A few years back we found the GGS Hut tank bone dry because some nuff nuff had opened the tap and left it that way!

Thu 17 Jan, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks Msrlo. Thats great to know. How did you find out this information, I have been looking but couldnt find anything. Do you think the source of your information is reliable? Lets hope as neilmny said some nuff nuff doesnt go there in the next 2 days and leave the tap opened.

Thu 17 Jan, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Msrlo I have sent you a PM. Cheers
Post a reply