Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Baw Baw water

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm planning on heading up to the Baw Baw plateau on the weekend.
Does anyone know the availability of water up there at the moment?
Where are the best places? I'll be heading off from the mt Erica carpark.
Steve

Re: Baw Baw water

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 5:55 pm

I did Gwinear - Whitelaw on NYE and there was some fairly poor quality water then (would absolutely have to filter) after the Gwinear summit but before the turnoff onto the AAWT to Erica. Otherwise the Thomson River past Whitelaw?

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 7:56 pm

Good question I was thinking Baw Baw plateau this weekend. Can't comment on current conditions, however talbot hut site is perennial and would have to be pretty dry not to be flowing. Its not overly strenuous walking so Im usually prepared to carry more. A few springs in the snow plains either side of the track, though that means off track, sensitive areas, snakes and potentialky stagnant pools

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 8:39 pm

Camped at Whitelaw Hut 2 weeks ago, water was running in the little creek there, but not exactly gushing. The couple of creeks on the way from Baw Baw village to the AAWT were pretty low.

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:36 pm

@GregR thanks for the info. It has been a hot dry summer

Thu 31 Jan, 2019 7:58 pm

Well I camped at Talbot Hut site on the weekend and the creek is completely dry. Didn't get any further north because of nearby fires but it's drier than I've ever seen it.

Thu 31 Jan, 2019 9:53 pm

Pretty dry then HP. I managed a day walk around St Gwinear, some water in the glens, small trickle, needed a filter, march flies in plague proportions and saw 'Christine' overhead scootin out for a refuel a few hours prior to ditching into the water at Jericho. Despite the sun only one copperhead on the track. Those marchies though...

Fri 01 Feb, 2019 12:19 pm

Happy Pirate wrote:Well I camped at Talbot Hut site on the weekend and the creek is completely dry. Didn't get any further north because of nearby fires but it's drier than I've ever seen it.

Well bugger me, I thought that creek never dried up. My walk back up there on the 8th isn't looking like being a goer based on the current situation. Thanks Mr Pirate for that on the spot news update.
I see that the Baw Baw resort was evacuated 2 days ago and then re-opened yesterday. Pretty ordinary up that way at the minute from what I can see from my keyboard.

GregR
Post a reply