Mt. Baw Baw alpine camping

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Baw Baw alpine camping

Postby stephant » Fri 08 Mar, 2019 9:53 am

First off, is Mt. Baw Baw open now? I know there's been fires, I see that the resort is reopening today so I assume that means good to go.

I'd love to hike to the peak and camp a night near(ish) to the top. Is this doable? I'll continue to do some research on this forum. Cheers
stephant
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt. Baw Baw alpine camping

Postby neilmny » Fri 08 Mar, 2019 4:11 pm

Welcome to the forum stephant.
The top of Baw Baw is a very easy 1/2 day walk out and back from the village. You can't camp in the Baw Baw ski resort. A better spot is St Phillack Saddle, only a couple of hours from the village but it would likely be busy on a long weekend.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 08 Mar, 2019 6:38 pm

The BB Plateau may be a bit dry at present and there are fires nearby. Starting from the Mt. Erica carpark is an option once the smoke dissipates and the fires cool off.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 08 Mar, 2019 8:00 pm

Starting out from baw baw resort there are many options for an overnight trip this time of year, assuming that's what you're after. Head out to the Alps walking track as suggested, head left or right plenty of camp spots in NP. Yeah its dry, just carry the water you need. Although smoky, and vistas will be hazy, the opportunity to familiarise yourself and explore this awesome area for future trips should not be missed.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stephant » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 6:22 pm

Ended up going for that walk last night, glad I did. Took the girlfriend and we went to start at Mt St Gwinear carpark to find unfortunately the road was closed. Drove back down to Mt Erica carpark and started from there. Was pleasant, quite steep at the start but mellowed out. The bush is very nice to walk through, quite dense and lots of moisture but no views at all. Mushroom rocks are nice, kept going far past Mt Erica then settled down for the night in a little grass opening. The stars were very clear. No smoke from the nearby fires, pleasant temperatures for walking - thanks guys for the information.
stephant
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 7:50 pm

Did you find any water out that way ?
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria