mt wilson wilsons promontory

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

mt wilson wilsons promontory

Postby Azatone » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 8:19 am

I have started planning a hike to Mt Wilson down at Wilsons Prom. Was just looking for any tips from anyone that has tried this or have succeeded.
Azatone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: mt wilson wilsons promontory

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:57 pm

Off track walking permits are no longer available for the Prom.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby WillKendrick » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 1:41 pm

Have you done any off-track at the prom before? It's usually pretty dense. I've done stuff in that area before, progress is slow. Were you thinking of heading up from Windy Saddle?
WillKendrick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Azatone » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 6:40 pm

WillKendrick wrote:Have you done any off-track at the prom before? It's usually pretty dense. I've done stuff in that area before, progress is slow. Were you thinking of heading up from Windy Saddle?

Yes, i was looking at heading up from windy saddle. I know its gonna be slow going I have faced the chinamans swamp a few times when it been close to waist deep. I was more wondering about how rocky and steep it get on the final climb to the summit
Azatone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby WillKendrick » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 8:01 am

I'd expect it to be thick with dense regrowth from the fires a few years back. Lot's of the Prom is covered in it at the moment and will be for some time. I'd highly recommend gaiters- wearing gloves helped us tremendously when we did Mt Latrobe and Mt Norgate. As long as you stay on the ridge I don't think you'd have any problems with the steepness.
WillKendrick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Azatone » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 6:22 am

Thanks, WillKendrick. Its what I was expecting to hear. time to drag out the old body armor lol
Azatone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby JamesMc » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 8:56 pm

I've been there a couple of times but not since the last fires. Both times up from Windy Saddle. Once down via gullies in the rock slabs to near Boulder Saddle and the other time east along the Wilson Range. The latter had the advantage of good camping in the deep saddle one km east of the summit with water in the creek to the north. If I remember right, the hardest part of the Boulder Saddle route was the lower flatter section of shoulder to head high hakea etc near the bottom. It would be totally different now, possibly easier. The upper rocky section was OK.

If I was planning a trip up Mt Wilson now, I'd probably make a day trip of it. Camp a night at Half Way Hut then a night at Waterloo Bay, and run up in between. Even better to camp both nights at Half Way Hut but I doubt you'd get a permit to do that.

It's a great mountain; well worth the effort. Off-track walking at Wilsons Prom is always an adventure.

The last time I tried to get an off-track permit was a year or two after the 2011 flood which caused some erosion gullies. PV refused to issue a permit because of the supposed risk caused by un-mapped erosion gullies.

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CaptainC » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 11:46 pm

You can camp for 2 nights in a row at Halfway Hut.
Overnight Hike, Southern Section, Halfway Hut

Halfway Hut is a bush campsite situated inland on the Prom and is
accessible via the Telegraph Track. Halfway Hut is surrounded by lush vegetation.

Water is sourced from the tank located in the campground, however treating the water is highly recommended.

Camping is permitted for a maximum of 2 consecutive nights throughout the year.

Maximum group size at any one campsite is 12.

Maximum capacity at this hike-in site is 30.

All overnight hike camp areas in the southern Prom have self composting toilets. Toilet paper is not supplied.

All hikers must check in at the Visitors centre prior to departing for safety and emergency purposes. Advance notice of 24 hours is required for online overnight hike bookings. Please call the office on 03 5680 9555 to enquire about same day bookings.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria