Favourite walks in the high country?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Favourite walks in the high country?

Postby clonanster » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 10:30 am

Hiya, what are everyones favourite 3-3 1/2 day walks in the high country? Looking at doing a short trip early May.

I live in Alice Springs so anything green and wet will be lovely, but would love to know your favourites?

cheers, Teresa
clonanster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Favourite walks in the high country?

Postby neilmny » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 11:19 am

Hi clonaster,
You show your region as Tasmania but say you are from Alice Springs, very different walking experiences in both of those locations.
It would help if you indicated how far you would walk in a day and the type of terrain that you would typically be walking in.
There are some great walks out there that vary from moderate to very hard but you need to have a good understanding of what you can handle over 3 to 31/2 days.
Do a search of the trip reports and track note area. There is heaps of ideas there. Keep in mind that some areas have been severly fire damaged over the last couple of months.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby clonanster » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Neilmny, I was in Tassie for a few years working as a bushwalking guide - back in Alice now :)

I am an experienced walker and happy to tackle anything really - would prefer a bit off the beaten track and something a bit challenging. My main reason for posting is that I have not walked much in that region and there are so many options that i'm just keen to hear the spots that others love :). Once I have a list I can then narrow down according to my own preferences.

Would be good to know which spots are fire affected as well. We have the same problem here in Alice at the moment - the whole western half of the larapinta trail was burnt in January.
clonanster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 12:16 pm

Viking circuit is strong top 5 for me. Link has some details in early may albeit 2015 (not my trip btw).
https://victramping.wordpress.com/about/ My usual route excludes Zeka spur track. I have only ever walked up unnamed spurs. Pick a spur and navigate up until you pop out on clover plain. I suspect your walking background will afford good navigation skills offtrack.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 12:40 pm

Apart from burnt areas there may be snow in May, which makes it interesting. The walk may need to be planned to start and finish at the same place. One walk that is a moderate grade introduction with good escape routes is 3-4 days.
1 Harrietville, Feathertop, Diamantina Spur, Blairs Hut.
2 Westons, side-trip to Jaithmathang, Dibbins Hut.
3 Derrick Hut, Federation Hut
4 Harrietville
There's a few other side trip if you have time. All the above is on tracks, probably desirable for a first trip to the region. Water is everywhere.

If the weather bombs out then the escape routes are
* Back down the Bungalow Spur.
* Blairs to Machinery Spur or Dibbins and Derrick
* Derrick to Hotham and see if you can get a lift to Harrietville. There's a bus, leaves Hotham about 9.30am.

Another option is to drive to Falls Creek and do a circuit Nelse, Kellys Hut, Cope Hut, Cop, Ryders Hut and Pretty Valley. Some of this is off tracks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby clonanster » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks Lophophaps... just out of curiosity have you been out to Tali Karng? If so - what are your thoughts about the best route (not necessarily the easiest - but the most interesting/ scenic)?
clonanster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 10:11 am

I have been to Tali. last time I looked camping is no longer allowed at the lake, so camp on the plateau. One route to consider is from the lake to the Sentinals or vice versa. This is a steep slope with quite a few small rocks to negotiate in places, but it's nice. Navigation is easier going up, and it's probably easier on the legs. If the weather is fine go down Gillios Track (sp?) from the plateau to the lake, then up to the Sentinals and back on the vehicle track. This will take about 6 hours. If there's time, visit the falls. Another way in summer is via the Wellington River, about 18 river crossings. If waling through this way - bridge to McFarlanes or vice versa - a very big car shuffle is needed, taking about three hours at each end of the walk.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 4:01 pm

Tali Karng has been burnt out in the 80500 hectare bushfire that is still going but contained.

Tali Karng firezone.JPG
Lake Tali Karng region.
Tali Karng firezone.JPG (93.73 KiB) Viewed 10119 times

Vic Emergency Snapshot.JPG
Vic Emergency Snapshot of the region.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 7:15 pm

Neil, thanks. I forgot about the fires. If nothing else, water in the fire region and beyond will have ash for a while.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby clonanster » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 11:15 am

Good to know - thanks Neil - that rules that one out :)
clonanster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 7:08 pm

In Dec. 2018 I enjoyed walking from Clear Creek, up The Mt. Clear track to camp near Mt. Clear and over the course of 3 nights and four days onto Chester's yard, King Billy 1 and 2, Mt. Magdala, Hell's window and then back over to Picture point, Lovick's hut, Bluff Hut , The Bluff summit area and down Refrigerator Gap track to pick up the car at Brock's road by the Jamieson river. Finding water out that way is always iffy/ tricky in Autumn.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria